Trailer Camera ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Escape
New York
Trailer Camera ??

I recently purchased a used Escape 21 that I will be towing with my 2018 Colorado. The trailer came with a wireless camera that works reasonably well, but sometimes loses it's signal. My problem is that it seems to lose the signal most often in crowded conditions, which is when I need it most. The antenna is mounted with the camera at halfway up the rear of the trailer.

If I relocate the antenna to the roof of the trailer, can I expect better reception?
AndyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
If I relocate the antenna to the roof of the trailer, can I expect better reception?
You're operating at 2.4Ghz, non line of sight. So, I'd say yes, anything you can do to reduce the obstruction between the antenna and the receiver is a good thing. How much improvement is anyone's guess.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Some of them have boosters that you can install.

Also, when I was considering a wireless camera, I was told that they will sometimes get RF interference from security cameras and other public electronics. I hear that interference on my ham radio when I drive past the bank, for example. For my needs, I ended up installing a wired camera,
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I took a wireless camera system to an installer and they weren't interested in the job. They hadn't experienced any that didn't suffer signal interruption.
Then, I took it back to Costco.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I took a wireless camera system to an installer and they weren't interested in the job. They hadn't experienced any that didn't suffer signal interruption.
Then, I took it back to Costco.
Our wireless full time camera from Tadi Brothers has worked perfectly. No interruption at all. We just went about 3,000 miles in 3 weeks and never had a problem with it. We put it on ourselves. Monitor runs off of cigarette lighter/charger and the camera on the back runs off of a 12 V wire that is hot only when the key is on. Guess if you buy a cheaper camera then it may not work good. Old adage is you get what you pay for. We put an inline rotary switch on the monitor so that we wouldn't be pulling the plug in and out of the receptacle. Quick and easy. Tadi Brothers will answer your questions also.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
ETI installed a TADI setup I supplied in my 2014 -21. I have the camera wireless transmitter installed at the front of the trailer, VHB taped underneath the shelf above the bed (for easy access.) The receiver in the truck is VHB taped to the rear window. Total distance between them is maybe 12 ft. Zero problems. The video cable TADI uses is a PS/2 computer mouse cable, so I got one around 12 ft long and ran it from the receiver to the drivers visor by going under the door sills and up the windshield pillar (I use their over-the-mirror clamp on monitor.)

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
ETI installed a TADI setup I supplied in my 2014 -21. I have the camera wireless transmitter installed at the front of the trailer, VHB taped underneath the shelf above the bed (for easy access.) The receiver in the truck is VHB taped to the rear window. Total distance between them is maybe 12 ft. Zero problems. The video cable TADI uses is a PS/2 computer mouse cable, so I got one around 12 ft long and ran it from the receiver to the drivers visor by going under the door sills and up the windshield pillar (I use their over-the-mirror clamp on monitor.)
Our antenna/transmitter/camera is all in one little unit. Suppose to be a license plate mount but didn't work on ours. So we unscrewed 2 screws on the back of our motorhome near a ground wire just above the bumper and mounted it there. Ours is full time so that we can see while driving. About 18-20 ft from camera to monitor. Thinking of doing the same on our Casita. We ran a wire along the frame underneath from the coach battery box where we found a screw that was not hot all the time, only when the engine was on to the camera.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote