Trailer Dolly - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

Name: Beverly J
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Washington
Trailer Dolly

I am still a novice at backing up and parking my 72 Boler, so I was thinking of purchasing a trailer dolly. Most say they can handle 600 pounds, but Boler is 900.
How true do you need to stay to the total weight of the trailer?
Thanks,
Beverly
Beverly Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I use this one and my Scamp weighs far more than your Boler. Heavy Duty Trailer Dolly But, then again I only use it to move the trailer about five feet one way and two feet the other.

I'll tell you that this is a bandaid for parking. You need to get the practice so you are confident you can park wherever you WANT. It doesn't take long and you get better every single time. Go slow, go slow, go slow... small movements, small movements, small movements. If it starts going south on you STOP. Don't keep backing up, it WON'T get any better. Pull forward and start again.

You can do it, I know you can.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It is likely that the 600 lb. max refers to the tongue weight ( which would be the weight on the dolly ), not the total weight of the trailer.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that the 600 lbs refers to tongue weight, not maximum trailer weight.

BUT: If you are moving on hard surfaces only, a 4 wheel moving dolly works a lot easier because you can push on the coach and won't hurt you back pushing or pulling on the dolly handle.

Just get the tongue jack on a piece of plywood laid across the middle of the dolly.

I have both and prefer to always use the 4 wheel moving dolly whenever I can. I have even pushed a 4000 lb sticky around with the moving dolly that I could hardly even move with the tongue dolly.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #5

Name: Beverly J
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Washington
Donna, That was the exact dolly I was looking at, and your advice on practice, practice, practice I know is true, because how else am I going to learn.

Glenn, Thanks for clarifying the weight thang, I figured it had to be something other than the total weight of the trailer.

Bob, I do have a 4 wheel dolly.
So, your saying get a tongue jack and fix it to plywood, and mount it in the middle of the dolly? What about the bottom piece of metal on the dolly? Will I need to build the tongue jack up as high or higher than the bottom metal plate?
Beverly Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I was confusing I guess.

As most moving dollys are open in the center I get a piece of 3/4 plywood and attached that to cover the center. Then, when I unhitch, I just rest the tongue jack on the center of the moving dolly, lift the hitch up with the tongue jack and push the trailer out of the way. If I want to remove the dolly I just place a jack stand under the frame temporarily, raise the tongue jack until I can pull the cart out and then lower the tongue jack to support the trailer. DO NOT try to put the tongue jack on one of the ends of the moving dolley. It's gotta go in the middle.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #7

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I put the wheel in place of the pad on mine when I put it into the garage. I get it backed into the driveway and lined up with the garage door, attach the wheel, unhitch, and push it in by hand. I have the little 4 wheel movers dolly like Bob mentioned and used it once. It kept getting stuck in the concrete separators on the driveway and I had to push harder to get 4 wheels over them than one wheel. Now I am thinking of either getting a trailer dolly, or possibly a winch and pulling the trailer into the garage.

You will get better backing up. I once got myself into a car wash line (Thought I could go around the back of a gas station) and had to get out. The only way was from where I came in. Was able to do a 30 point turn in a small area in order to go out front first. There were a group of people at the entrance who clapped and smiled when I pulled out.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I had the same dolly that Donna shows. Used it twice to move a car trailer with a 1500 lb dune buggy on a flat concrete RV slab. To hard on my "years younger then" back. I changed to a wheel on the jack and that worked out great as I didn't have to balance the dolly upright and push or pull at the same time. It gives you a great three point stance too. The furniture dolly is a good idea also.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #9

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Dave, I'm glad you mentioned that about the trailer dolly and your back. I can move my trailer either by pushing with my arms and shoulders and power with my legs, or turn around and put my back end to it with power from my legs. Have painted line on the driveway to show where the wheel should be going into the garage (like they park airplanes) and tape in the garage when I've gone in far enough.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Thanks Wallo, it only took two times of fighting it to change my mind. What I didn't say was besides dealing with the two wheeled dolly I kept waiting to end up losing the handle and getting hit in the teeth
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote