Trailer hitch cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
California
Trailer hitch cover

So, I learned it is a good idea to grease one's trailer hitch ball. It only took me two pairs of messed up jeans to see the downside of this, so I went to work. about 2 inches of 2 inch ABS, a 2 inch PVC pipe cap a 2 inch pancake magnet, a small screw and nut and a bit of glue and I made something that seems perfect. Photo attached. My first one got stolen, takes about $6 to make another one. I hope the person who took mine contracts a painful disease.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer-hitch-cover.jpg  
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
So, I learned it is a good idea to grease one's trailer hitch ball. It only took me two pairs of messed up jeans to see the downside of this, so I went to work. about 2 inches of 2 inch ABS, a 2 inch PVC pipe cap a 2 inch pancake magnet, a small screw and nut and a bit of glue and I made something that seems perfect. Photo attached. My first one got stolen, takes about $6 to make another one. I hope the person who took mine contracts a painful disease.
Walk through any farm and barn store lot and look at the hitches, none have grease. It’s not like they do a lot of turning. On long trips, the only lube I ever use is a square piece of waxed paper folded twice. I also remove the hitch when not in use for safety and security reasons. The shin I save may be my own.
Attached Thumbnails
63 waxed paper.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Nice design...
but you can buy one like the picture below at Home Depot for about $2-$4...
No work and cheap enough that theft is less likely and less painful.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
just think of it....you made a "collectible" item.

Of course you can go on Ebay and get real collectable hitch ball cover made out of vinyl in the shape of fish, moose, deer, bears and I even saw on of President Obama on the web search. But I think I want a red colored vinyl one, that will be my car's clown nose
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #5

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain

Why waste time, clothes, grease, and having to manage a cover.

The 2" Andersen Greaseless Hardball is only $12.99 and the 2 5/16" Hardball is $14.99. Both are guaranteed for life.

Install a Harball and you're done!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
I sold their leveler

[QUOTE=Perryb67;759846]

Some of us prefer not to support Andersen, and when I opened the page, McAfee asked to close my browser to clear the cookies.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Some of us prefer not to support Andersen, and when I opened the page, McAfee asked to close my browser to clear the cookies.
Andersen made a mistake. I've made mistakes. Everyone here has made mistakes. Some of us believe in the concept of "forgiveness."

I can "forgive."

Sounds like you have a computer problem too. Windows?

Enjoy your grease.

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 11-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
Nice design...
but you can buy one like the picture below at Home Depot for about $2-$4...
No work and cheap enough that theft is less likely and less painful.

I have one of those and find it to be somewhat of an annoyance as it is designed to fit tightly and is, therefore, quite hard to get on and off without spreading grease around.

I had one once on another trailer that was made of thicker rubber, fit loosely enough that it was easy to use but tightly enough that it stayed in place, and had a ring to hold it to the hitch when not in use. I can't seem to find another like it though.

So far as cookies on the Anderson site, if you click "X" at the top, right of the box asking you to accept cookies, you can access the site, presumably w/o cookies. BTW - if you check your computer, you will likely be completely amazed to discover how many cookies are already stored on it.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
Waxed paper

Enjoy your grease.

Perry[/QUOTE]
I do not use grease that was the point of the post.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #10

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
I play tennis so I have an almost endless supply of ball covers.
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I do not use grease that was the point of the post.
The readers here don't need to use grease or wax paper, that was the point of my post. I was approaching my response to you from your Andersen post in # 6. Grease/wax paper doesn't matter. If people want to have to grease or manage wax paper that's needless management. KISS!

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 11-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Grease

I use grease, I cover the ball with a ball cover. Once in a while I get grease on my hands, my knee or my pants. Life goes on.
People will steal anything. I had a sick raccoon in my yard one night. It was during Raccoon season. I shot him and put him on the shoulder of the highway. 45 minutes later he was gone. And that wasn’t even stealing. Got an old suitcase you don’t want? Put some skunk essense or a road kill skunk inside. close it up. Put it on the shoulder like it fell off a car carrier. Done. Life can be a dream Shaboom Shaboom.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
The readers here don't need to use grease or wax paper, that was the point of my post. I was approaching my response to you from your Andersen post in # 6. Grease/wax paper doesn't matter. If people want to have to grease or manage wax paper that's needless management. KISS!

Enjoy,

Perry
The ball /hitch is a moving joint and probably would benefit with a little lubricant. A thin film of grease is all that's needed. How often or if you can get away without it depends on the distance tow.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
How long would it take to wear a 2" ball down to 1 7/8" ?
Old 11-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trailer hitch cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblangley View Post
I had one once on another trailer that was made of thicker rubber, fit loosely enough that it was easy to use but tightly enough that it stayed in place, and had a ring to hold it to the hitch when not in use. I can't seem to find another like it though.
I found one like you describe at my local RV shop. It doesn’t have any manufacturer markings. Easy on and off, heavy rubber with tabs at the bottom to keep it on, about $7. No keeper ring, and I wouldn’t want that. It’s too big to be dangling around while you’re towing IMO.

I grease. Personal choice. Clearly the sky doesn’t fall if you don’t. I used tennis balls, but found they got grease on the outside no matter how carefully I handled them. Liked the bright neon green color, though!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The ball /hitch is a moving joint and probably would benefit with a little lubricant. A thin film of grease is all that's needed. How often or if you can get away without it depends on the distance tow.
See post #5 in this thread. That's the reason I used and posted about the Andersen Greaseless Hardball.

Quite frankly though, spending years on a farm, and don't ever remembering seeing a commercial business grease, I didn't grease my balls. But did use the Hardball on my last few campers though.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 11-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How long would it take to wear a 2" ball down to 1 7/8" ?
A lifetime?

I'm guessing the trailer receiver/coupler would fail before the ball wore down to 1 7/8". I'm sure someone, somewhere can claim their coupler failed because they never greased their ball. I'm not holding my breath though.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 11-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #18

Name: Allen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Minnesota
Graphite spray lubricant. Quickly dries. Doesn't mess up the hands or pants.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #19

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Hitch cover

How do you get grease on two pair of jeans greasing a hitch ball only takes one finger to spread the grease on the ball
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #20

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25RQ
Virginia
Why

[QUOTE=AC0GV;759848]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

I guess I’m out of touch. What did Andersen do/not do?
SSBN is offline   Reply With Quote