Trailer Levelling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
I am just setting up the hitch on my '65 Pickup to tow our 17' Boler. To my way of thinking, when the trailer is coupled up to the tug, the trailer should be setting level. I used a level on the body side band (also bottom of the window frame) and it appears to be level when hooked up. Also the bubble level in the fridge appears very close. I am wondering if I need the hitch higher or lower or is it OK where it is at? I will also install the small side and end levels on the trailer now that I have it set level according to the belly band.

Thanks...
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Install the side and end levels when the refrigerator is level -- that's the critical factor. You'll have to use at least the rear stabilization jacks and the tongue jack to keep your trailer from tilting every time you get in and out while checking the fridge level.

If you find that setting is uncomfortable for you, you need to shim the fridge so it's level when the floor is level. Of course then you will have to readjust the side and end levels...
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Quote:
Install the side and end levels when the refrigerator is level -- that's the critical factor. You'll have to use at least the rear stabilization jacks and the tongue jack to keep your trailer from tilting every time you get in and out while checking the fridge level.

If you find that setting is uncomfortable for you, you need to shim the fridge so it's level when the floor is level. Of course then you will have to readjust the side and end levels...
Yes, I had a bubble level in the fridge at the time and it worked out real good as well. I was a little more concerned for towing than for setting up.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
If you've checked it when hooked up to the truck and it sits relatively level, you are good to go.
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote