Trailer Licensing in Ontario - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Send a message via MSN to KenReiss
Can someone walk me through the steps needed to license an egg in Ontario and get everything transferred into my name. Just for clarification, assume that I'll be purchasing an Ontario egg.

Thanks in advance,
Ken
KenReiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

If this is your first EGG, congratulations. I can't help you with the licensing question, just thought that I would say hello to a neighbor to the north.
You are the first person I have heard of that actually lives in Sudbury. I have passed through the BIG NICKEL a few times but was always in a hurry to get to Toronto or somewhere east.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Former 1989 Bigfoot owner
Hi Ken:
First of all, get the trailer licence registration (the transfer half of the green sheet) from the seller. Make sure the seller signs in the appropriate place.
You need a bill of sale showing serial number and price you paid for the trailer.
The licence office charges you the GST on that amount.
Then you will be sold a licence plate which you will keep forever. If you sell the trailer again, then you keep the plate, and it can be transferred to another trailer.
For the Province of Ontario, its quite simple actually. Been there, done that.
Hope this helps.
Harry Gaudier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
your trailer plate will be 40$ C I believe ( lifetime plate), make sure you have the previous owners ownership with you, he keeps the old trailer plate, you get a new one.
Like Harry said, you pay sales tax on the bill of sale value.
If you buy from another province, you still pay tax in Ontario, so make sure they either don't charge sales tax, or they give you a rebate form.

I just bought a van from quebec, I got a temp. trip permit from quebec ( dealer issued)
drove the van home, got it safetied, paid the ontario tax, transferred the ownership, and now it's mine.

No fuss no muss, just make sure you have all the paperwork with you
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the help guys. I haven't aquired the trailer yet. I'm hoping to get it from someone in the family tree line closer to spring.

It'll be a pretty basic model 13 footer. The owner let me in on some history of it....a tree had fallen on it! It's all good though, the fiberglass work it really well done (you can't tell at all) and a nice new paint job. (Dark blue-grey bottom half, upper is same just lighter in colour). Owner keeps it in his big garage over the winters, so it's stored well. I have tons of plans for it, and I'll post pics/updates when I get the trailer and begin my tinkerings.

Thanks!
Ken
Old 02-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
shoot off a email to paul at paul@natcoa.com and tell him i gave you his name he will be able to answer all the needed ? you have...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:37 AM   #7

Now this one is completely bizarre: can you use an old trailer plate on the egg IF it isn't in your name (ie can it be made into your name?). I might've found an oldy trailer plate from the 70's that would look really neat on the egg, even better if it were legal too!
Old 02-28-2006, 06:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the plate has to be in your name , as far as I know.
However having said that, I know there are some rules about antique plates for vehicles that might apply.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I really doubt that an old plate number can in general be reissued, since I've never seen it done with normal plates before, in Ontario or Alberta.

There is at least one exception: amateur radio operators in Alberta have had plates issued to them (not for trailers) with their station call sign, after turning in old expired plates from a previous holder of the same station call sign who had plates in their name. For example, someone gets VE6ZYX and gets a plate to match, then later drops his radio license and lets the plate expire; years later, some other operator gets VE6ZYX, begs the first guy for the plates, and turns them in at the motor vehicle licensing branch so that they can issue new plates showing "VE6ZYX" with assurance that there won't be two sets out there.

The amateur radio operator situation is certainly an exception to the normal rules (they got custom plates years before they were generally available), so I wouldn't count on it for ordinary plates.

Many owners of older cars run a long-expired plate on the front of their car - normally for the year the car was made - and a current legitimate plate on the rear. This works here in Alberta because front plates are no longer used. So... it might be okay to display the old plate as well as a new plate, if the old one was clearly expired and there was no confusion... but that's just a guess.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, registration, title