Trailer safety & theft - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
If they really REALLY want your trailer they will just back up a flat bed wrecker, tell the neighbors (if they ask) that the trailer's owner wants them to take it to the shop for repairs, winch it up and take off. Somehow knowing that I can discourage a thief, but that I can't change fate, allows me to accept what will be. Of course if I catch them in the act, their fate is something they will not enjoy.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #22

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I have used a big yellow hitch ball lock, but in many cases it seems to be more of an inconvenience for me than a theft deterrence. I do like to use during the times it is in storage long term in a gated facility... but then again, any fool with a roll back truck and winch could haul the whole thing away in about fifteen minutes, lock or no lock! Glad it's right under a security camera.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #23

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Do what i do bring a guard dog! Lol. But seriously i use a hitch lock but if a thief wants something bad enough they will find a way to get it. But i'm sure my dog helps keep the thieves away.
Attached Thumbnails
160.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #24

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
What the hell is on the photo? A camp ground near high rise building???
Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #25

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Just ordered 17" Casita ID
Washington
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
There was an 19' Escape stolen from someone's driveway. Never recovered. He was paid the insurance.
Speaking of which, any suggestions as to where is the best place for Casita Trailer Insurance? Just our regular All state agent? Or is there a specialized trailer insurer?

JQ
socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I use Allstate Insurance for all my vehicles & RV's and place a stated replacement value on the RV's in case of total loss. It's costs a little more, but that way you are covered. But: It's not available in all states I have been told.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Looks like a campground we stayed at in Myrtle Beach. All high rises there
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #28

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Looks like a campground we stayed at in Myrtle Beach. All high rises there
Not at Myrtle Beach State Park.. the sites are in a wooded area not far from the beach. It's much cooler under the trees in the summer than the nearby beach is. Of course it is also pretty much right under the final approach for Myrtle Beach International Airport, and can be dirty during the tourist season.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I wasn't referring to the state park, been there. We have also been to Myrtle Beach Travel Park that looks just like the above photo. Other campgrounds in the area too so hard to tell.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #30

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I wasn't referring to the state park, been there. We have also been to Myrtle Beach Travel Park that looks just like the above photo. Other campgrounds in the area too so hard to tell.
I'm sorry, yes I got your meaning, I was just trying to let folks know it is not all high rises in Myrtle Beach and give some feedback on the beach front state park for people going there. But as I am way off topic, I'll leave it at that.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too just rely on replacement cost insurance. $250 CAD is a small amount to pay for piece of mind.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #32

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Myrtle Beach.
Attached Thumbnails
082.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #33

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I ran an experiment where for six months I locked my hitch and my trailer wasn't stolen. Then, for six months I didn't bother, and my trailer wasn't stolen.
I filled the trailer with dryer sheets, and still nobody stole it.
I'm thinking if I get LoJack, maybe somebody will steal it.
But the dryer sheets kept the mice away over the winter - didn't they?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
But the dryer sheets kept the mice away over the winter - didn't they?
Haven't noticed any in my clothes dryer.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #35

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Boots are real cheap these days so boot both wheels and or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Sure, there are lots of different GPS locators. They use them on semi trailers and high value shipments of all sorts. Try goggling for them but, like loJack, the transmitters and service isn't cheap. If you are really worried, a chain woven through the wheels and axle will slow down most cg thieves. Historically it seems that storage yards are one of the more dangerous places for GTT because the perp has lots of time to scope out the target and strike at their leisure.
: like Bob says lock up both wheels with cable and lock also there are lots of hitch locks out there. I always lock my ute in driveway so no one coming in can just up and steel it without making a lot of noise.
No one has ever tried to break into our MH yet and if they did a real loud alarm would go off waking up most of the neighbours and I know they will not be happy but the would be thief would be long gone and would not try that again. My wife says I'm just to paranoid about losing items.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #36

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
A determined thief will take no matter what you do.

Now good side. I put a hitch lock on the trailer and a padlock type lock through hitch latching handle.
One of the best ways I know of to prevent thefts is to get to know your neighbors if you're in a campground. Most of us will watch out for others property.
If in an isolated dispersed site, I just wouldn't worry about it. The odds are in your favor.
Most trailer thefts happen in storage lots or home driveways. Not while camping.
Excellent post!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:08 PM   #37

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I have one of those trailer locks just like the picture of Mary and Bobs. I had seen on a forum awhile back that that it is the same lock Tractor Supply uses on all their trailers that they have for sale. I drove over to our local Tractor Supply to check it out and sure enough every trailer they had in the parking lot had one. I went in the store to buy one and an employee told me that they didn't sell that particular lock but Academy did so I went across the street to Academy and sure enough there they were so I bought one. I figured that if Tractor Supply used them company wide they must be impressed with them.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #38

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
what about the door lock?

I have a pad lock on the hitch but am worried about the contents while out hiking. I figure anyone that wants inside the camper/trailer can get inside if they're determined. I thought about a standard lock/hasp but then worried that someone could lock us inside. Seems like too much worrying to me so I think we'll just lock up valuables in the tow vehicle and take our chances with the standard door lock. Any opinions on the door lock idea?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trailer safety & theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
I have a pad lock on the hitch but am worried about the contents while out hiking. I figure anyone that wants inside the camper/trailer can get inside if they're determined. I thought about a standard lock/hasp but then worried that someone could lock us inside. Seems like too much worrying to me so I think we'll just lock up valuables in the tow vehicle and take our chances with the standard door lock. Any opinions on the door lock idea?
If there were a hasp on the door, a determined thief could just grab the bottom of the door and break the fiberglass. Valuables out of sight in the tow vehicle is the best plan. We lock the door of the trailer to discourage casual, opportunistic entry and leave a curtain open so a real thief can see there is nothing inside worth the trouble and risk of breaking in.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #40

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If there were a hasp on the door, a determined thief could just grab the bottom of the door and break the fiberglass. Valuables out of sight in the tow vehicle is the best plan. We lock the door of the trailer to discourage casual, opportunistic entry and leave a curtain open so a real thief can see there is nothing inside worth the risk of breaking in.
Jon, this is what I thought would be the best plan as well. Thanks for your input.

Tags
casita