Trailer Tires?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: Bigfoot 25
California
Registry
Trailer Tires??

I have a 1998 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17Ft on which I recently had the axle lifted and replaced the 14 in tires with 15 in. I bought (2) 15 inch tires and had them put on the trailer, completely forgetting about the spare. The tires that were recommended and put on were Carlisle Sport Track ST205175D15 rated at 1,820 libs.

When I went to buy the 3rd tire for the spare..I was told that these tires are not appropriate for my trailer. My trailer dry weight is 2,480lbs, with axle rated at 3,500lbs

Now I am still getting conflicting info..that I need E rated not D rated//radials and not Bias. Please help! What tires should I be using or what tires do you use or recommend?

I have no idea and know nothing about tires..I only know I want safe reliable tires that are appropriate for my Casita.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The tire rating of 1820 pounds is for each tire. 1820 X 2=3640. Your new tires are very adequate for your trailer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #3

Name: Karen
Trailer: Bigfoot 25
California
Registry
Radials or bias?

Jack
Thank you..that was a very prompt reply! Now my question is radial or bias..these are bias tires. I (from what I've been reading about tires) think that radial's would be better suited for the type of travel we do. I am in the position to have the tires taken back by the dealer who put them on a replace with radials...would this be a good idea?
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Bias ply tires have stronger sidewalls which can be helpful in reducing sway. Radial tires wear longer but cost more. Most trailer owners do not wear tires out. They usually replace them because of age concerns. They at both serviceable for your application. If you would have peace of mind by changing over to radials and the price is reasonable, go for it.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
Just try to stick to "ST" or Special Trailer service tires, to reduce the amount of side-sway and hopping the trailer will do on uneven pavement. I put regular automobile tires on my Dolphin for awhile, and the first job when we stopped each time was to put the hangers back up in the closet.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Lindsay View Post
Just try to stick to "ST" or Special Trailer service tires, to reduce the amount of side-sway and hopping the trailer will do on uneven pavement..
ST's come in both bias and radials.
Personally have used both and prefer radials.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
ST's come in both bias and radials.
Personally have used both and prefer radials.
Some prefer bias tires because they have had better luck with them and longer life after having tread seperation with radials.

Trailer tires seem to be the luck of the draw and some choose LT (light truck) tires.

I error on the side of caution and replace tires and wheels every three years selling the old ones on craig's while they still look good

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires