Trailer/Truck Plugs Work Separately But Not Together - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Burro
Alaska
Trailer/Truck Plugs Work Separately But Not Together

I'm at whits end. I put on a new 7 pin after 6 pin w/adapter fell out on the road (rookie move that won't be repeated) and lights were working fine til then. I'm confident all is routed correctly. Trailer ground is at the 5:00 position with notch up. I've tested both male and female plugs (confirmed wiring and test procedures on FGRV and elsewhere online) and they each work flawlessly. Why won't they work when I plug in? I checked the 83 Burro for fuses and found only one and it's intact. Too many hours of retesting rechecking and resenting. Gotta be a ground problem, right? But why do they work independently? Help please before I pull my last few hairs out!
Biasdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Just a guess but the trailer cord cap and the vehicle receptacle are not making contact or good contact when they are plugged together.The connection point is usually the week link.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #3

Alaska

Thanks Steve. Just went out and connected ground terminals with one test lead and left turn terminals with another. Flipped the turn signal and still no luck. Appreciate the idea, tho.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #4

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
South Carolina
I recently replaced the 8' molded connector that came on my 2013 Casita. When searching for a replacement, I found there are apparently two versions of this 7 pin connector. One is for horse trailers and utility trailers and the other is for RVs. Either one will work but the wire colors are different. What came on the Casita was a Bargman. The new cord I put on had a tag that says Buyer, made in China. I had a hard time getting the original Bargman plug to plug into three different vehicles. The replacement goes in and latches fine. And the wire colors and wire sizes are the same as the old one.

Ben
Ben Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #5

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
wires , wires

im
thinking that the wires are not in there correct position ?????

just a guess , but ive seen that before .
trilliumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #6

Alaska

I think I figured it out: trailer-side ground was loose at an old splice. Didn't know partial contact would allow positive test. Live and learn! Replacing cord and plug now. Hopefully I'll report success soon...
Old 07-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

Alaska
OK. Everything's working but I'm not sure how much of a problem I had. After rewiring new cable and plug only the running lights worked. Completely bummed and fearing I was wearing my truck battery down I started the truck and low and behold turn signals worked! I was under the assumption you only needed power on, not motor running. Oh well, cleaned up some ugly connections made by the PO and can head out for my 2nd venture after the holiday crowd heads back to work.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #8

Alaska
Hey, thanks Ben, Steve and Dan. Learned a few things and am packing for overnight run. Later!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biasdr View Post
... I started the truck and low and behold turn signals worked! I was under the assumption you only needed power on, not motor running.
I hope your 4 ways work in all positions.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #10

Alaska
Good point- I didn't check whether they work w/the engine off. I'm guessing not but will find out. That's a problem if they dont. Thanks