Transport suggestions for cross-country project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #1

Name: Kayla
Trailer: Scamp
TN
Question Transport suggestions for cross-country project

Hey there! Actually posting for a friend - they purchased a 13' from a friend in California and are trying to find a solution in getting it out to Tennessee.

Seems simple enough, but:
  • It's not in tip-top shape to tow across the country, so initially they were thinking towing it on a flatbed trailer
  • Due to the CA fires, there's a high demand for transport out of the state so availability is low and prices are high
  • Can't rent a truck to tow it out of state (if they were to fly to CA and drive it back themselves)

Anyone have any suggestions on transport? Apologies if this isn't the right place to post but I'm new here!
kaylaenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Could they arrange for the necessary repairs to make it minimally towable in CA and use their own vehicle to pull it home? If they have a tow vehicle for the Scamp, that would almost certainly be the most cost-effective option.

Short of that, I really don't know. You seem to have exhausted the options: (1) commercial transport, (2) rent a truck and flatbed, or (3) tow it. At least the money spent on repairs would put you ahead on your renovation.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #3

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
Transport Trailer Advice

We contracted with Mike Amirault of Desert Dog Transport. He towed our Trillium from Wisconsin to New Hampshire. Excellent, on time and reasonable 603-540-5423.
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Ship by rail? IDK anything about it myself, but it might be worth looking into. Looks like you would still need it to be good enough to tow to and from the rail stations...

https://www.uship.com/guides/can-you...-car-by-train/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #5

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Rent the flatbed outside California? An extra day or two for out of state rental and extra mileage will be cheaper than CA prices.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:48 PM   #6

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
What does it need to be road worthy,
Bob
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I had a friend move from WA State to TX. He priced rental trailers. It was cheaper to buy one. So he did. He then used the trailer, and sold it when he got to TX, for more than he originally paid for it. So he actually made money on it!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
If I were you, I would check it out to make sure it’s not tow-able. If it’s towable, I can tell you from personal experience, you will have an easy trip. I just towed my new Scamp with my 16 year old Volvo XC-70 with 254,000 miles on it from Backus, MN to Cape Cod MA and was surprised at how easy it was. With today’s roads, you will cover the ground in faster time than you thought. And, in my case, I saw beautiful country I hadn’t seen before. Having the Scamp transported would have cost $2000.00, and I would have missed the trip.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #9

Name: Diana
California
U-Ship or other shared-shipping solutions

There are a number of "shared shipping" solutions providers out there. Uship.com is one. You put the item, size, weight, pick-up/drop off info into their website & trucks that are not full (but already heading in the same direction) bid on the job. Sometimes it can save a *lot* of money. The thing to be careful about is some trucks are professional movers & some are a couple of guys, drinking beer on their road trip across the country. Check the reviews!

Good luck and congrats on finding your camper!
Diana Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #10

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Inquiring minds want to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylaenglish View Post
Hey there! Actually posting for a friend - they purchased a 13' from a friend in California and are trying to find a solution in getting it out to Tennessee. Anyone have any suggestions on transport? Apologies if this isn't the right place to post but I'm new here!

What was the solution and cost per mile?
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
U-Ship is a broker; drivers looks for loads to fill their round-trip route as they drop off loads all around the loop, so often you can get a good deal. You review the records of the individual drivers and select one, then you are put in contact to work out the deal. I've used them for over 10 years to move trailers and antique tractors around the country with zero issues. Bought a Casita outside Denver and had it brought out to Oregon in middle of a December blizzard on a flatbed- took 3 days, and the price was $900, probably less than I would have spent on gas. Gave the driver a $100 tip for staying in communication and letting me know when he was hung up by weather. Very happy.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #12

Name: Diana
California
Charlie, thanks for posting what it cost to ship a Casita - really helpful as we shop & find deals in places a long way away. I've steered clients to U-Ship but never used them myself. Good to know you've had a string of good experiences with them. Thanks!
Diana Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:37 PM   #13

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Good deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
U-Ship is a broker; drivers looks for loads to fill their round-trip route as they drop off loads all around the loop, so often you can get a good deal. You review the records of the individual drivers and select one, then you are put in contact to work out the deal. I've used them for over 10 years to move trailers and antique tractors around the country with zero issues. Bought a Casita outside Denver and had it brought out to Oregon in middle of a December blizzard on a flatbed- took 3 days, and the price was $900, probably less than I would have spent on gas. Gave the driver a $100 tip for staying in communication and letting me know when he was hung up by weather. Very happy.
About 2000 miles for $1000 is a good deal. Out and back about 4000 miles at 15 MPG about 170 gallons of gas at $2.30 / gal. about $400 plus meals and time off from work.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:58 AM   #14

Name: Euphie
Trailer: 5554
Michigan
Isn't there a centralized transportation network that transports vehicles from one city or state to another? If this is not possible through a truck or trailer, there are certainly other methods because a lot of such transports are done worldwide. I lived in Germany for five years, and there is a coordinated network of db fahrplan that uses trains to transport goods and vehicles, bicycles, motorcycles. I think it would be appropriate to check if this does not exist in California as well.
Jindra is offline   Reply With Quote