Transporting Gasoline Problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Transporting Gasoline Problem

We have a Boler1300 and tow with a SUV
Problem is on trips we take along our honda 1000 generator and a 2 gal. plastic gas tank.
Trouble is last year we carried the tank in the back of the SUV and wife got head aches and swore it was from the odor.
I already have the propane and Gr31 battery on the front of the trailer, sno no room there and don't really want to add any more weight, and do not want the gas in the Boler.
Any suggestions.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Smile

Gerry----I am pretty certain that I read somewhere on this forum that Honda makes a gas to propane converter to allow your generator to run off of your propane....
...thereby eliminating the need to bring any gasoline.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I strapped a one-gallon container to my battery box ( which is on my rear bumper ). That worked just fine until somebody liberated it one night.
Had it inside my storage box after that, and now it stinks.
Recently, I leave the generator at home and use two 40-watt solar panels.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Get one gal. container and strap on anywhere in the front or back, (outside). less then 10lbs
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
I'm considering a generator, and a propane carb kit - no gasoline needed!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
You can spend a little more money and get a Type one safety can. There is no odor and it is much more fire resistant.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The best gas cans I've found are the genuine NATO surplus 20 litre gas cans. They will not leak and are a practical shape for stowing. If you need a shorter design, the type 1 safety cans are good too, but more likely to vent gas fumes. Plastic cans are never quite good enough.

NATO Military Surplus Jerry Can, 20 Liter, New - 663005, Jerry Cans at Sportsman's Guide
Old 01-09-2017, 05:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I strapped a one-gallon container to my battery box ( which is on my rear bumper ). That worked just fine until somebody liberated it one night.
Had it inside my storage box after that, and now it stinks.
Recently, I leave the generator at home and use two 40-watt solar panels.
After sitting in my think tank (AKA hot tub) this morning I think loosing that gas and gas tank would be little concern if now somebody was to liberate the solar panels when your out hiking or swimming but none the less this is a viable idea and one I have been thinking about for a while.
But Many of the campgrounds we visited on our cross Maine trip last year had sites witn none to very little sun and upon trying the solar panel that I have, and worked just fine, at home, when I could baby-sit them turning them toward the sun all day....didn't do the job on the shaded sites we went to.
Do you have to baby-sit your Panels or do they pick up enough ambient sunshine through the trees and not directed toward sun?

Also will look into the gas to propane converter..does anyone know where on this site the thread was?

As far as the gas tank on the 38 year old frame that 10LB may be the proverbial straw on the camels back .
Keep the suggestions coming
Old 01-09-2017, 06:05 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
As far as the gas tank on the 38 year old frame that 10LB may be the proverbial straw on the camels back .

You better watch your carbs then.. Carl
Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Are your camping spots so remote that you couldn't carry an empty gas can secured on the tongue of the camper to be filled once you're near your destination? I wouldn't think 10-15 pounds carried for a short distance would be problematic. Where is the generator stored? If inside the SUV, could that be the source of the gas smell?

Personally, I don't want to travel with gasoline inside the passenger compartment but a 'military style' fuel can - either the NATO referenced above or the current model made by Scepter is odor proof if the exterior is kept clean. Note: Expect to spend $75 - $125 for a military grade can AND spout. I have a 20L Scepter secured in a bed mounted rack in my Tacoma for our EU3000.

I've always carried a siphon kit in my truck and that may be another option. Most late model vehicles have check valves to prevent gas leakage in an accident and make siphoning difficult or impossible but these folks make kits that may work GasTapper Gravity in a Zipper Bag - Free Shipping . If you have any Tractor Supply stores near you, check them out.

There is some power loss when using propane or natural gas as a fuel source rather than gasoline. I don't know how this might impact a EU1000 but if any of your usage approached its capacity, that might be important. Google showed this product available through ebay Honda EU1000 Tri-Fuel Propane Natural Gas Gasoline EU1 Generator Conversion Kit | eBay

Good luck - Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #11

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Those true NATO gas cans are the way to go. Beware imitations; they're out there.

But NATO or not, I'd never store gasoline in the passenger compartment.

On the motorhome I used to have, I installed a carrier on the back bumper which held the gas can and locked. Anyone who really wanted that can could have still gotten it, but it was a decent deterrent. If you find the NATO cans on Amazon you'll find a link to the carrier. But with modern vehicles, especially SUVs, there's just nowhere to mount stuff...No nice big flat rear bumper or anything. So either a roof rack or somewhere on the camper frame I guess.

Solar won't work so well in the shade. The more panels you have the more they'll capture, but they're just meant to work out of the shade. They don't need to be pointed at the sun but it helps. If you look around you'll notice 90% of the houses with solar have fixed panels; they aren't tracking the sun. You find the best angle for your area of the world and leave it there. Being able to track the sun is best but not feasible for most applications. Shady camp spots are a problem. Your solar just won't work well.

If it were me, and I had a choice of not bringing gas for the generator or bringing it in the passenger compartment, I'd just not bring gas. I definitely wouldn't travel with it in the passenger area. Fumes would be big on my worry list but not the biggest danger by far...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
The Rotopax is pricey, but it locks and you can mount it to any surface. They come in a variety of sizes. As I recall, I bought mine directly from the distributor (google Rotopax), but here is an Amazon link to give you the idea what it is all about: https://smile.amazon.com/RotopaX-RX-...ywords=rotopax
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #13

My Honda 1000 EU has a valve in the gas cap, which when closed, prevents fumes. I carry the generator in the back of the RAV4 or in the trailer.
A 20-liter gas can would contain enough fuel to last me a couple decades.
I do find myself getting up and shifting the solar to track the sun. Of course, if I'm not there, I'm not tempted to move the panels.
I'm no more concerned with theft of the panels than theft of my butane stove, bbq, camp chairs, etc. Depends on local conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Honda.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #14

Name: B. E.
Trailer: still hoping and praying
Texas
How about . . .

Consider buying a Lil Snoozy, all solar and/or electric:
B. E. Neis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post

Most late model vehicles have check valves to prevent gas leakage in an accident and make siphoning difficult or impossible but these folks make kits that may work GasTapper Gravity in a Zipper Bag

Good luck - Al
For many years now I have used that flap in the filler neck as a trivia quiz. We are now a couple of generations from 1974 when it was introduced. The government doesn't know how to eliminate old law once it becomes obsolete.
That device was introduced in 1974 to prevent the introduction of leaded gas into a car with a catalytic converter.( lead kills converters) To this day, unleaded nozzles are smaller than the leaded gas nozzles which no longer exist in commercial fuel sales.
Refineries have long since ceased production of leaded gas, yet the restricter persists like a piece of useless folklore.

I was one charged with refreshing our local ordinance book and had an hilarious time getting rid of obsolete laws. It was actually illegal to take a bath during daylight hours. Why? Because bathtubs were commonly out on the porch in plain view!

A fuel tank rollover valve is another item altogether and would not affect siphoning.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
I take an empty can of gas and fill up when I am close to camp. did that once. The next time I just filled the Gen. and only used about 3/4 in four days. Only needed to run the Yamaha gen a couple hours a day and it kept every thing going that we wanted to use.I like that Gas-tapper that is shown above, i'll give that some thought. Carl
Old 01-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #17

Wife says no more trailers in the yard. 3 work trailers..and no more campers.
Our little Boler has a big BIG brother a 31ft Holiday Rambler 5th wheel so $$$ for another camper is out.
Our Honda generator is an older EX1000 and works just fine. A bit loud but never had a complaint when used during allowable hours in State Campgrounds.
When traveling we store it in the Chevy Blazer and there is no odor from the generator so maybe that's the answer now. Just buy enough gas to fill the generator which gives about 7 hours of power.
I am a trusting soul and really wouldn't mind leaving a $600 solar system out in the open but I can just feel my heart fall out if I came back, from a day trip, to find it gone.
Problem isn't charging while going from camp to camp, I have charging wire from SUV to camper battery, but when staying in a dry camp for more then 2 nights when the funace is needed would be a problem.
I think running the SUV, in place, to charge battery would take a bit of time to get it back up to snuff. Yes? No?
Old 01-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Coleman fuel is just white gas. The 1gallon can seems to do well without venting. Why could you not just fill one with RBOB?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #19

I have less than $250 CAD invested in my solar.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Coleman fuel is just white gas. The 1gallon can seems to do well without venting. Why could you not just fill one with RBOB?
The 1 gallon Coleman cans work well for spare gas if you don't need much. Another thing that works well is military olive drab plastic canteens. They are made out of the same thing gas cans, polyethylene, and are impervious to gas. They hold about one quart each and are extremely durable. I take several on my quad to get me home on long runs. They can bounce around on the trail and never leak a drop. I stored gas in one for years to test it and it was fine.
You can also buy 1 liter fuel bottles for backpacking camp stoves. Sturdy aluminum, and designed for fuel.

Just don't use an "approved" plastic gas can unless it is stored outside and out of the sun. And only then if it is for short term storage so the fuel doesn't vent and go bad. Rotopax plastic cans seem to be the only exception to this for me.