Traveling several weekends in a row - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
Traveling several weekends in a row

My driveway is sloped and awkward so hooking up can be a chore. Usually when I unhook my 19' Scamp I chock the wheels, unhook the truck, put jack stands under the back and use the front legs to take weight off the tires. Then I unhook the battery because I have a gas leak detector that is wired in.

For the next several weeks, I have weekend trips planned each weekend. Do I really need to do more than chock and cover the wheels between trips?
Thanks
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Jean,

No, I don't think you need to do all that at all. I think the main thing will be to tend to the refrigerator so you keep it either cold or aired out.

Relax and enjoy the camping.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Imagine being on a trip lasting several weeks. Trailer weight would be on those tires continually. I wouldn't worry about it. +1 on the frig.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
disconnect ??

I know what you mean about the gas/CO detector going off while parked for some time....it's a PIA...

Detectors seem to vary widely as to sensivity....mine is super sentive...just turning on the oven (across the aisle) can set if off.

I installed a toggle switch two inches off the floor in an out of traffic spot that can switch the detector on or off. Stored, summer or winter my trailer is always plugged in, charger on. In the winter a thermostat controlled catalytic heater keeps the inside at 45F...the detector used to go off now and then in the winter (CO)...usually at 4 or 5 AM !!! enough of THAT !

I have newer, beefier springs on my trailer...the only thing I do in the winter or summer is park so the tires are sitting on wood (not on the grass)
Attached Thumbnails
detector.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I agree with Thrifty and Civil. No problem sitting for relatively short periods. My tailer sat most of the winter and I simply left the fridge running on 120. Being plugged in also keeps the batteries happy and will handle small battery loads, like your detector. I like it when mine is ready to hook onto and go with minimal effort.

Tires will flat spot if left long enough, but it might take a year with reduced pressure before you'd notice it. Besides, the harder you make it to go on a trip, the less likely you'll go.