Trickle Charger Suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 75 Scamp 13 ft
Trickle Charger Suggestions

I need to purchase a trickle charger and am wondering if any of you have suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Lydia W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Lydia here is what I did chargers can boil a battery out I had a charger so I got a cheap timer off amazon 6bux and give the battery a 30m shot a day!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Lydia,

I think something like this would fit the bill. Its multi-stage charging really babies your battery and will extend its life.

Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V, 0.75A Battery Charger
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 10.20.26 AM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use the Ctek its a really good device. I keep it on my Ford Bronco and it works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-A...ery+maintainer
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #5

What year is your Ford Bronco...I'm envious...LOVE Bronco's!!!
Old 12-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

Thanks John...and thanks for the link!
Old 12-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia W View Post
What year is your Ford Bronco...I'm envious...LOVE Bronco's!!!
1974 Ford Bronco I bought it used on Christmas eve 1978 when I was 18.
Attached Thumbnails
fabuluous_fords_forever_2013_knottsberry_farm071.jpg  
Old 12-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #8

THAT IS SAWEET! Beautiful Bronco!!! Ford is supposed to bring them back, but there's no way they'll be s awesome as the vintage models! Lucky you!
Old 12-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #9

California
Quote:
THAT IS SAWEET! Beautiful Bronco!!! Ford is supposed to bring them back, but there's no way they'll be s awesome as the vintage models! Lucky you!
Its been a longtime love affair. 5 years ago I stripped the body down and repainted it and generally cleaned it all up after the 35 years of travel and offroad adventures. Was my daily driver for over 15 years, then offroad adventure rig and now my Fair weather weekend driver. Been a great truck and a close friend through thick and thin and in good times and in bad.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #10

Steve...that's wonderful. It's an absolutely beautiful rig... glad you've held on to it and have taken such good care of it. I'm also glad you baby it - no more off-roading!
Old 12-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #11

California
No offroading, never. There are still wonderful places to be seen and traveled. I just don't play as hard as I use to. Your asking me to put the bird in a cage and that's not going to happen. When I am gone, I hope the next owner takes it places that risk its survival and has a long term relationship then fixes it up for the next guy to carry on. Life is more than looking at someone else's pictures.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #12

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Any of the multi-stage chargers should work well, ctek or battery tender. I've also had good results with the Schumacher charger's desulfation mode resurrecting old/drained batteries.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:06 AM   #13

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Trickle charger

Quote:
I need to purchase a trickle charger and am wondering if any of you have suggestions? Thanks in advance!
What type battery?
I use a gel cell battery,
Best is Battery Tender
I use a 6 amp battery Tender
Depends on type,size of battery you have for the charger.
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #14

Thanks Eddie...I have no idea what type I have...I don't think it's a gel though.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #15

Thanks for the tip, Elliott!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Eddie...I have no idea what type I have...I don't think it's a gel though.
More likely than not it is a flooded lead battery.

I am partial to the Battery Minder. About the same price as a battery tender (which I had and it died in its first year of life). The Battery Minder also has a desulfating pulse which can prolong battery life. But I've only seen them on line, the Battery Tender can be found at most Walmarts in the auto section.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #17

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Quote:
This charger works with all type 12 volt batteries,They are highly recommended,
If you have a automobile type lead acid,they don't last long,especially if they run completely down.I only recommend Gel cell types,even if you have to buy a used one from a big battery supply house.Computer backup supplies use the gel cells,change them out every two years ,they are good for many years.I bought a used gel cell for $75 dollars,two years ago,100 amp.
New there about $400 dollars,but worth it.Will have to check around to see which local supply house carry these.They check and guarantee them.
Auto batteries are lead acid,toxic fumes are emitted when charging,have to add water.
Can't understand why new campers would even install them.Unless its just for saving them money.
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #18

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
Back to trickle chargers: Northern Tool has a good one on sale for only about $25 BatteryMINDer Plus Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator — 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie B. View Post
This charger works with all type 12 volt batteries,They are highly recommended,
If you have a automobile type lead acid,they don't last long,especially if they run completely down.I only recommend Gel cell types,even if you have to buy a used one from a big battery supply house.Computer backup supplies use the gel cells,change them out every two years ,they are good for many years.I bought a used gel cell for $75 dollars,two years ago,100 amp.
New there about $400 dollars,but worth it.Will have to check around to see which local supply house carry these.They check and guarantee them.
Auto batteries are lead acid,toxic fumes are emitted when charging,have to add water.
Can't understand why new campers would even install them.Unless its just for saving them money.
Flooded lead batteries are the “standard” type battery installed in most all RVs, regardless of manufacturer. Gel batteries and AGM (absorbed glass may) contain lead and acid as do flooded lead batteries, the only difference being the manner in which the sulfuric acid (H2SO4) and water is contained. The flooded lead batteries used in automobiles do differ somewhat from those used in RVs, but only to be better suited for their intended purpose. Auto batteries must provide a high amount of energy in a quick period of time whereas the deep cycle batteries used in RVs and golf carts are designed to provide somewhat lower power over a long period of time. Each type of battery has its advantages and disadvantages. All batteries including the gel type can be damaged by improper charging. Flooded lead batteries are typically installed in trailers because they are much less expensive (usually 1/2 the price) than gel or AGM batteries and, as a result, far out sell both gel and AGM batteries. Most individuals and manufacturers are influenced by “the bottom line.” For this reason, flooded lead batteries are readily available at any auto parts store, Walmart, or RV specialty store. Should a gel or AGM battery fail when you are somewhere out in the sticks, I wouldn’t count on finding a replacement in the nearest town or Walmart. Bottom line, every battery requires maintenance and TLC (proper use and charging) to attain a long life no matter what type of battery it is.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #20

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Harbor Freight haz what I feel is a very good charger, not inexpensive. It has trickle function. It will alarm if there is a charge problem, or damaged battery. It charges all types of batteries If the leads make contact positive to the ground lead,nothing happens, no sparking. It can charge at what might be considered excess, ( quick charge ) or very comfortably slow. It works starting a toe, hooked to a dead battery. I have used the tender and others. ( still do.) They are hooked to other items.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote