Trailer lift or jack drop? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #1

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Trailer lift or jack drop?

I like to tow my trailer level so I have hitches for both my minivan and truck that allow this. Unfortunately, this means that sometimes I can't fold the front jack up because there is still weight on it. I either get the whole family to stand on the back bumper of the trailer or drive the tow vehicle up onto blocks.

If I want to adjust the height of the front jack, I will have to grind it off the swivel bracket and weld it back on in a lower location. I am worried about damaging the jack.
Alternatively, I have 2" square tubing to lift the trailer. I worry about higher wind resistance when towing.

Any thoughts?
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Is your problem that the tongue jack is too long when fully retracted AND the trailer is level? That's a bad thing. Do whatever is necessary to replace the tongue jack with a shorter tongue jack.

I actually found a proper length tongue jack that fit on the existing swivel bracket. I simply removed the snap ring / retaining ring, switched out the old jack for the new one and re-installed the retaining ring.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
I just replaced the tongue jack last season with a matching one. Never thought that there might be shorter ones available.
I'll look into that John, thanks!

Shopping is frustrating in Ontario these days. I wonder if I can find one online..
Old 06-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Go with the Ultimate Jack. Maximum flexibility.

Check it out. You'll like what you see.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I read post #1 as Jay has the type tongue jack that pivots up at a 90 degree angle, level with the trailer tongue. We had one of those on our Uhaul camper. Because of interference with a box that I mounted on the tongue, I had to cut the crank tube off of it's bracket by grinding off the welds, rotate it for crank handle clearance, and weld the tube back to the bracket that pivots on the mounting stub. The standard 3 bolt tongue jacks are available in different projection lengths if that is the type Jay has. The recommendation of The Ultimate Jack is also good, we have one on our Casita.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The recommendation of The Ultimate Jack is also good, we have one on our Casita.

Especially if there is a large incline in the camping site, up or down.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I read post #1 as Jay has the type tongue jack that pivots up at a 90 degree angle, level with the trailer tongue. We had one of those on our Uhaul camper. Because of interference with a box that I mounted on the tongue, I had to cut the crank tube off of it's bracket by grinding off the welds, rotate it for crank handle clearance, and weld the tube back to the bracket that pivots on the mounting stub. The standard 3 bolt tongue jacks are available in different projection lengths if that is the type Jay has. The recommendation of The Ultimate Jack is also good, we have one on our Casita.
Yes, my jack pivots parallel to the frame position. Some days it is okay, some sites though it is almost impossible to retract the little wheel high enough to unlock it and pivot.
I too am a minimalist but I am also really cheap and often prefer to modify rather than replace or buy new. Hence, my original question. However, I am not opposed to buying the right equipment.
I will look at the solutions offered.
Thanks for the feedback so far!
Old 06-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Can you remove the jack wheel? That will gain you several inches. I don't use mine. I use the tow vehicle to position the trailer.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Hi Glenn, I had thought about that but I actually wheel the Boler around by hand fairly regularly. I wouldn't want to lose the wheel.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #10

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Can you just drive the rear of the tow vehicle on a couple of 2x6 pieces to get enough lift?
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #11

Ontario
Registry
Hi Lynn,
When I tow with my pickup, I keep two 2x6's in the bed of the truck and do just that.
Truthfully, it's not that big of a deal and I have figured out workarounds. Sometimes I just drive until the ground level changes or I have my wife and daughters stand on the bumper or I back up onto blocks.
I am off work right now and have been working on my trailer lately and thought I would modify the jack but I thought I would see what the more experienced thought.
Good question though.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Try This:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jac...22-RDJ-2K.html
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #13

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
The front jack on my Boler has a removable wheel. I bit of an inconvenience but it works, being so close to the ground.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #14

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
... Shopping is frustrating in Ontario these days. I wonder if I can find one online..
I've bought several jacks for various trailers over the years. I've almost always got them at Princess Auto. They'll deliver to your door. They usually have more in the store than what is available on line. My guess is that they'll be reopening in a few weeks.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/sear...trailer%20jack
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Go with the Ultimate Jack. Maximum flexibility.

Check it out. You'll like what you see.
Agree, provided the tongue is designed to accept a center-mount jack. Some are not.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #16

Ontario
Registry
The tongue on my trailer is pretty simple. Just a single propane tank and a battery box. The jack is mounted on the drivers (street) side.
I bought it at Princess Auto- I get a lot of trailer parts there. I like the fact that it has a wheel since as I noted earlier I often move it around the yard or the campsite by hand.
I did watch the etrailer video on the ultimate jack and it is slick but it seems to mount at the front of the tongue. I don't think it would fit with my current set up. I also worry about my tailgate hitting it or even my Caravan's gate.
Funny that no one voted for lifting the trailer / dropping the axle. I don't think I want to do that anyway.
I have been checking out shorter jacks since it was mentioned, I like that option.
I don't want to eliminate the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210604_170823.jpg   IMG_20210604_170744.jpg  

Old 06-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Jay,

They make jacks with a slip on wheel. You slip it onto the post and tighten a thumbscrew to hold it in place. Look at some of the tent trailers once they open camping up.

If you are in or near TO, I've got one of the wheels somewhere in my inactive surplus.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
I appreciate the offer Roy! I'll keep that in mind.
I live near Woodstock - not that far away!
Old 06-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
I opted for the lift

I have a 17 foot Casita Liberty Deluxe. When we bought it we decided that it didn't have enough ground clearance to get to, in and out of the types of camp sites we like to use. We didn't use the trailer much before we had the two inch lift added, be we really like the extra mobility and access that we have now that we have the trailer sitting higher. We pull it behind a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500, but I like to use the sway control bar. I have felt the trailer get a little squirly when the wind really gets blowing out here in southern Colorado and New Mexico. Your trailer is shorter, and if you only use flat campsites and paved roads, then the lift might not be for you.
Durango Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:11 PM   #20

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Paul View Post
I have a 17 foot Casita Liberty Deluxe. When we bought it we decided that it didn't have enough ground clearance to get to, in and out of the types of camp sites we like to use. We didn't use the trailer much before we had the two inch lift added, be we really like the extra mobility and access that we have now that we have the trailer sitting higher. We pull it behind a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500, but I like to use the sway control bar. I have felt the trailer get a little squirly when the wind really gets blowing out here in southern Colorado and New Mexico. Your trailer is shorter, and if you only use flat campsites and paved roads, then the lift might not be for you.
Thanks for the reply Durango Paul. I appreciate the testimonial.
We camp off grid and toe our little Boler places that most sane people won't. We have travelled as far east as you can drive north of the St Lawrence in Quebec, up to James Bay, out to Vancouver Island (mostly paved there) and up to Dawson in the Yukon. We parked the trailer when we drove to the Arctic.
I bought a 4x4 Colorado in 2018 and since then have wondered seriously about lifting the trailer for peace of mind. Still considering it. Might wait till fall though.