Trillium 1300 Awning options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Trillium 1300 Awning options

Hi, I have a 70 something Trillium 1300 and I am considering what options I have for awnings.

There is a white pvc sort of rain gutter attached to the trailer now. I assume it was to hold the poles and awning when not in use.

I am not stuck on using that and would probably take it off and rivet a new rail on if that is the best idea.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to use for an awning?

Also, I have a problem in that I am currently in Arizona and my trailer is back in Canada. Even with the exchange, it seems a better deal to buy an awning here and bring it back.

I can have someone go over and measure the trailer but I'm thinking someone on here already has an idea of size.

Thanks for any help!
Mitch Drackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Mitch, take a look at "I Own a Boler" on Facebook and go to March 16 at 12:32pm. There is a thread there on awnings with pictures. The Bolers and Trilliums are pretty much the same size.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #3

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
I, like you, am looking. Here's one that looks quite suitable, anyone have any experience with it? Their website is lousy, hope that's not a reflection of the awning...
ShadyBoy.com - Home
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
Hi Mitch, take a look at "I Own a Boler" on Facebook and go to March 16 at 12:32pm. There is a thread there on awnings with pictures. The Bolers and Trilliums are pretty much the same size.
Thanks Claire, I will head there shortly!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliumdon View Post
I, like you, am looking. Here's one that looks quite suitable, anyone have any experience with it? Their website is lousy, hope that's not a reflection of the awning...
ShadyBoy.com - Home
I called shady boy yesterday and yes, the site is of minimal use.

The product looks ok but the cost starts creeping up by the time you pay for brackets etc. Getting into roll up cost range. Not off my list but am considering other options.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #6

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I bought a Shady Boy last summer. One of the best additions that I have made to my trillium. It was super easy to install and better yet, it only takes 60 seconds to set up! I would recommend it to anyone.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
Photo of the Shady Boy in action.
Attached Thumbnails
Shady Boy.jpg  
Old 03-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #8

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
I found this article by Ian G. on how to install it and a video of how to set it up. Installing a Shady Boy Awning - Boler-Camping

We have a bus Depot awning that I modified to slide into our awning track. It takes a bit longer than the Shady boy to put up, but we really like it. Ezy Awning - Gray
Old 03-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
Photo of the Shady Boy in action.
HaHa! Awesome pic!! Thanks !!
Old 03-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
I found this article by Ian G. on how to install it and a video of how to set it up. Installing a Shady Boy Awning - Boler-Camping

We have a bus Depot awning that I modified to slide into our awning track. It takes a bit longer than the Shady boy to put up, but we really like it. Ezy Awning - Gray
Thanks Claire! That's what I wanted,... Ideas and options!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #11

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Hi Clayton, with summer coming and all, it's time to start thinking about fixing up the trailers. I see you put a Shady Boy awning in your Trill. Could you provide us with a quick rundown of how you did it? Any drilling? How did you anchor it? Still happy with it?
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Hi Don, I'm still super happy with the Shady Boy!!! The install was relatively easy but there was drilling involved. I used the supplied bracket mounts from Shady Boy, lined up the awning very carefully and drilled 3 holes into the trailer per bracket (being extremely careful not to drill through the ensolite inside the trailer). I used some 3M VHB tape to attach the brackets to the trailer and then riveted the bracket as well. Again, being very careful that the rivet on the inside of the trailer did not go through the ensolite. I also used butyl tape in-between the bracket and the trailer where each of the holes were so no water would leak through. The install is still very solid and absolutely no leaks!

I did buy the optional poles with the awning but I ended up not using them. I just attach the guy wires to the frame of the trailer and have had no issues at all.

Tags
awning, trillium