Trillium 1300 Flexseal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 09:00 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: Trillium
California
Trillium 1300 Flexseal?

Hello everyone,

The ceiling of my Trillium 1300 is currently bare fiberglass.
It looks like the previous owner tore down the reflective padded material (the name of it isn’t coming to me)
What would I use to clean up the remaining adhesive?

I was tossing the idea around of cleaning it all up and using the liquid pour white flexseal. Are there cons to this? As far as I can see, there is no evidence of leaks- I would just rather “paint with a purpose” than use regular paint.
I have every intention of throwing up some marine headliner ect, but that won’t be until much further down the line in our restoration project.
I would love to brighten up our lil gal’ in the meantime.
Would the flexseal cause problems down the road with the marine headliner/ padded vinyl? Or any problems?

Thank you kindly in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
46F95781-61D6-4933-BF53-27A05865AA74.jpeg  
JanelleNorthernBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You could try "contact cement remover", which near as I can tell is the same as "contact cement thinner", which is probably the same thing as acetone. But, it will require a lot of effort for little satisfaction.
I'd just recover the hull with a material designed for that purpose.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:21 AM   #3

Name: Jane
Trailer: Trillium
California
Thank you!
JanelleNorthernBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Jane, I'm not sure what you want to accomplish here? Flex seal is intended to seal against leaks but you don't have leaks. If you plan on covering your ceiling residual adhesive shouldn't be an issue. Remove anything that is loose and leave the rest in place. If you have lumps or significant irregularities trim with a blade, remove with a grinder and/or use a filler
White Flex seal or any quality white paint will brighten up your unit. Most adhesives that you would use to secure the ceiling material will stick to paint. The MSDS for flex shield will indicate any incompatibilities. You can also contact Flex seal on line and they will answer any questions you have about their products.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #5

Name: Ryann
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
FL
We sanded the excess adhesive/ensolite/gunk off ours. Reflectix and headliner adhered no problem in the florida heat with 3M90.

I don't know that I would paint the fiberglass, and then adhere insulation and liner though, but I'm not a pro.
miarosa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium