Trillium 1300 Furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft
Does anyone have suggestions or experience with adding a furnace to this trailer. Seems the common furnace in these small trailers is the Suburban NT-16SE, but the length (21") exceeds the area below the sink by nearly 3 inches. Could the furnace be located in the bench, discharging under the table? Looking for suggestions before I purchase the furnace.
Shaun D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #2

Name: Ian
Trailer: Predom Captain
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Does anyone have suggestions or experience with adding a furnace to this trailer. Seems the common furnace in these small trailers is the Suburban NT-16SE, but the length (21") exceeds the area below the sink by nearly 3 inches. Could the furnace be located in the bench, discharging under the table? Looking for suggestions before I purchase the furnace.
Hi there Shaun:

I used to have a 73 Trillium 13', and it had the furnace installed below the closet door.
I am not sure if it was built that way, but it worked fine, and I never noticed much heat at the bottom of the closet, inside, as you could pull the bottom piece of wood,
(base of the inside of the closet) right out to access the furnace, and the wood bottom had a silver heat shield of some sort, on the furnace side?
Not sure if your closet door goes right near the floor or not?
Good luck with it, Jake.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Could the furnace be located in the bench, discharging under the table? Looking for suggestions before I purchase the furnace.
I think some of the new Trilliums have it in the bench. If you're considering under the closet, exhaust fumes might be a problem if you like to hang out on that side, i.e. picnic table, under the awning or inside an add-a-room.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
My 1300 had the furnace under the sink and it was flush.
On the 4500 it was under the closet.
Remember anywhere you locate the furnace will need a hole outside for the exhaust.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Installing a New Furnace

I have a 1976 Trillium 1300 I just purchased that does not have a furnace . To avoid cutting out the fiberglass under the sink , it appears the Atwood 7900 Everest series is the best . If you look at the shape of the rear , it is tapered to match the contour of the trailer . I will also need a converter to supply the furnace .

The Elixir 25 amp converter and the furnace are both on Ebay right now . The RV Pirates in Canada make the costs too high to obtain one here .

I have a comment about using the Mr.Heater or little Buddy propane heaters without air exchange . Are you not worried about the Carbon Monoxide produced ?

I plan on using my Trillium during the winter . Any comments or suggestions ?

Thnx , S.Ryan
Stephan G Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

Name: Susan
Trailer: In the market
Manitoba
Registry
How much noise does the heater for the 1300 make while running. I am considering putting a heated floor in, anyone else tried that?
Dustmote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Susan, This is a very old thread. The furnace that the 1300's were built with are called gravity furnaces, because they depend on convection to move air. There is no fan, they consume no electricity. They make very little noise. A faint hissing.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

Name: Susan
Trailer: In the market
Manitoba
Registry
Thank you. New to this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Dustmote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Welcome Susan. I am partial to Trilliums. I own six of them.

A heated floor is an interesting idea. Do you plan to heat with a boiler, or electric?
Old 03-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Name: A J
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Minnesota
I have a 73...........

I have never seen another Trillium and assumed them to be out of production. I too wanted to use mine in the winter...(I'm a Minnesota boy)... so, being I live about an hour from the Scamp factory, I pulled her up there and had them install a furnace. I wasn't happy with the location they chose, but they said it was the only place it would fit. I had already pulled out a non-working frig and stove top so they put it there. It was too long to fit right, but they got it in there anyway. It works! I also insulated the trailer with 1 inch blue foam. Glued it all up. (major pain) Then covered it with the fabric they use in the Scamps......(also a pain) The wife and I took it out in about 10 degree F weather and the furnace cycled about 4 times an hour if there was any wind. We did spend one night at about 30 F with no wind and it cycled once an hour. We hung reflectix over the windows to save heat and give some privacy. Used reflectix under the beds. To do it over again I would have someone shoot it with urethane foam and seal it up real good.
AJnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #11

Name: Jenn
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Welcome Susan. I am partial to Trilliums. I own six of them.

A heated floor is an interesting idea. Do you plan to heat with a boiler, or electric?
We turned on our heater for the first time, we’ve owned the trailer for a month now, we put it on 1, the lowest setting, it warmed up the trailer quite well but noticed the closet bottom door and fibreglass getting very warm. It also got very warm in the trailer after an hr so we turned it off. It shouldn’t be that warm after an hr should it? We should be able to run it during the night without getting too hot at low, do you think something is wrong with it?
Penelopeblue4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #12

Name: jagbor
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
relocation of furnace?

Hi! We have a 1973 Trilium that is currently getting a body off the frame restoration. The PO removed the furnace and turned it into a storage space w 2 doors where we put pots/pans etc. However, I would like to re-install a furnace and was wondering how it could work inside the cubby where the water tank sits and then the warm air could blow out thru a vent to just in front of the table? I do not want to cut another hole for exhaust so how would it be possible to use the original one i.e. what kind of line is used for the exhaust? Also-why do some furnaces require converters but others do not?
Thanks for any info and have a wonderful day!
JuliusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the older furnaces were called gravity furnaces, and did not require any 12v power if they didn't have a fan. the newer ones had fans and electric controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusB View Post
Hi! We have a 1973 Trilium that is currently getting a body off the frame restoration. The PO removed the furnace and turned it into a storage space w 2 doors where we put pots/pans etc. However, I would like to re-install a furnace and was wondering how it could work inside the cubby where the water tank sits and then the warm air could blow out thru a vent to just in front of the table? I do not want to cut another hole for exhaust so how would it be possible to use the original one i.e. what kind of line is used for the exhaust? Also-why do some furnaces require converters but others do not?
Thanks for any info and have a wonderful day!
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:55 PM   #14

British Columbia
so is the best option to buy an older Suburban NT-16SE that would be gravity fed? Is there an advantage to getting a newer one and then also having to get a converter? Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:16 AM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
so is the best option to buy an older Suburban NT-16SE that would be gravity fed? Is there an advantage to getting a newer one and then also having to get a converter? Sorry for my ignorance.
Personally, I would go with a Duo-Therm 65810-002 or 11HU in a 1300, (depending on the year) and a Duo-Therm 65512 in a 4500. Mainly because these are the furnaces that Trillium installed originally.

I did a few threads on these furnaces:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...1hu-94007.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...a02-86546.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...wer-54226.html

What year is your Trillium?
Old 05-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #16

British Columbia
Hi David! Thanks for your help. Our Trillium is a 1973 1300.....sorry. Currently undergoing a body off frame resto. PO had removed the furnace from below sink which now has 2 cupboard doors for storage. Thinking of relocating new furnace to be inserted/blow out of cubby on rear gaucho seat so I can use original exhaust vent as well?I don't really want to buy a converter as well if I don't need to.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:15 AM   #17

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
If I were to replace the furnace in my Scamp, it would be a Propex propane forced air furnace.

https://www.propexheatsource.com/heaters/
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:41 AM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Hi David! Thanks for your help. Our Trillium is a 1973 1300.....sorry. Currently undergoing a body off frame resto. PO had removed the furnace from below sink which now has 2 cupboard doors for storage. Thinking of relocating new furnace to be inserted/blow out of cubby on rear gaucho seat so I can use original exhaust vent as well?I don't really want to buy a converter as well if I don't need to.
Yah that space is useful for storage. On a 4500 the furnace is below the closet, so below the sink is a cupboard. You will not be able to install a gravity furnace below the dinette seat. There is not enough vertical space.

As parmm mentioned the Propex furnace is a very good, (if expensive) choice. There is even a version that is designed to be installed below the trailer, so it takes up no space inside. However, it does required 12VDC power. There are several testimonials on this site. Just search, "Propex".
Old 05-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #19

British Columbia
Thanks. I am in Canada so looks like they range from $1100 -$1400 (externally mounted to body). They are labelled "forced air" so, unlike gravity Suburban furnaces, these would require either DC source or converter correct?
Old 05-19-2022, 11:18 AM   #20

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Thanks. I am in Canada so looks like they range from $1100 -$1400 (externally mounted to body). They are labelled "forced air" so, unlike gravity Suburban furnaces, these would require either DC source or converter correct?
Correct.

Tags
furnace, trillium