Trillium 4500 Floor Replacement and Build - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 04:10 AM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhinge View Post
Vanilla as in simple, unaltered, true to form (I think a linux term I have borrowed)
OE as in original equipment (car talk)

I have learned far more lately by not doing than I have by doing. I have learned a great appreciation for the factory build and intent of these trilliums. The advice I have gleaned from your posts have lead me to slow down and appreciate rather than brazenly assume.
Good answer, it's always good to have the mind in gear before the hands get going.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #42

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
The Idea for a desk with the chair in front of the fridge is interesting... I might make a mock-up of that arrangement

to share something I have tried...

In one of my mock ups I made the fold out table in the "front dinette" counter hight and pushed the seat hight up to I think it was ~20". There was a main seat road side and a smaller seat curb side... the table folded down against the wall to free up floor space in the middle. It was built to try to create a desk hight space that was also useful for cooking

+ Folded out the table came out far enough to be a good counter for the kitchen

+ I liked the work hight sitting on the bench and I liked not having my back to the door when sitting in the main spot next to the stove.

- it was a tight fit to get back there to sit and use it as a desk.

- in kitchen mode I also did not like the hole in the back corner of the counter where the seat was
Ironhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #43

Texas
oh I also wanted to share an idea from Ianto Evans The Hand Sculpted House, A Practical and Philosophical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage
It is a book on natural building but has a lot to add to the design of any space, especially small ones.

So the authors talk about spaces as verbs instead of nouns, for example "kitchening" instead of "Kitchen". I find that I use this idea when I am trying to come up with a design because it helps break me of the idea that a small space is composed of independent spaces the way a regular house is. Thinking of the activity’s in a trailer as actions helps create interconnections between the different uses and modes.

The mock up I just shared was built for "desking", then evaluated from the perspective of "kitchening", "entertaining", "unwinding", etc...
Old 04-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #44

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhinge View Post
Vanilla as in simple, unaltered, true to form (I think a linux term I have borrowed)
OE as in original equipment (car talk)

I have learned far more lately by not doing than I have by doing. I have learned a great appreciation for the factory build and intent of these trilliums. The advice I have gleaned from your posts have lead me to slow down and appreciate rather than brazenly assume.
I see. Yes, I would agree with your description of my approach. Though, if someone wants to totally change a trailer, I have no objections. Other then a front dinette, like the factory did, I can't think of any changes that would make the trailer any more useful to me. I almost think they had me in mind when they designed it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:07 PM   #45

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Ironhinge
It has been a few years now, how is your floor holding up. i am about to do mine, and I am wondering if I have to replace the whole of the main area or just the rotten areas. What I am asking is does it have to be one sheet of plywood or can it be pieced?
Old 08-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #46

Texas
Floor

I haven't put many miles on it, ~2000 but I am glad I extended the replacement plywood as far in as I could. I think the trailer walls are essentially cantilever off of the frame and that the plywood is a bendy-flexing support structure. The build is pretty much paused and looks the same as it did in my last posts, the one thing I would change is the rigid support I put on in the door frame. It didn't transition back into the flexible parts of the trailer gently enough and caused stress cracks in the gel-coat above the door frame. when I find my round tuit I would like to cut it back and make a plywood T that is feathered in across the top of the door. Or tie it into a strip of marine ply that supports the aluminum awning channel and door trim
Old 08-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #47

Texas
Floor!

For me by the time I cut it back to a place the water hadn't made it black and soft I was already replacing a huge sheet, I never had to make that choice. If it was only rotted at the edges where it was exposed I am not sure what I would have done. I ended up encasing the new sheets all the way to the wall, I only felt OK about that because I used marine plywood, factory seemed like regular exterior CDX. Maybe what I am saying is that if you can avoid removing the floor in the middle of the trailer its worth a try, re fiberglass the entire interior floor was somewhat less than fun
Old 01-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #48

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
Good info ironhinge!

Can you explain to me the plywood situation under the fridge? Thank you
VanessaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium