Trillium 4500 suspension - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2023, 07:50 AM   #1

Name: Vic
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Trillium 4500 suspension

Does anyone know what kind of suspension a 1979 Trillium 4500 has. Is it a torsion bar? I should know this having overhauled the wheels. I checked underneath and see no springs.

Also- is it possible to adjust the suspension to reduce bouncing? Last year, first time out, the inside looked like a tornado hit- stuff everywhere. Since then I've made changes to secure everything. Still- there must be a lot of vibration- cupboard doors open, things bounce of the upper shelves, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Vic Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:09 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Vic, The Trillium 4500 came with a torsion suspension. The fact that yours is so stiff is likely because the rubber in it has hardened over time. If your 44-year-old trailer has not had a new axle, it is time for one now. The torsion axle is good for 20 - 30 years maximum.

You will find that the new axle will ride much smoother.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:56 AM   #3

Name: Vic
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
David... yikes!- a new axle? Any idea where to get one?
Would it have to be custom made?
I'll keep it in mind. Will have to cope for now.
Vic Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:16 AM   #4

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Berger View Post
David... yikes!- a new axle? Any idea where to get one?
Would it have to be custom made?
I'll keep it in mind. Will have to cope for now.
Find a place that repairs utility trailers. We've lived in two different areas of Minnesota and had no problem finding a utility trailer repair shop. One of them also sold new trailers. These shops repair, service, and install Dexter axles all the time. DON'T delude yourself that a RV shop knows what they're doing. Utility trailer repair shops have the experience, because that's all they repair/maintain. By 7,000 miles our Escape 5.0 had both axles repaired under Dexter's warranty. 37,000 miles later the axles were still tracking like new.

Our repair shop gives a one year/10,000 mile warranty on his work, including greasing the bearings. His warranty is void if you use Dexter's EZ-Lube, since he's seen too many greased brake shoes, or rely on their auto-adjust feature (he disables the auto-adjust). You don't know if the seals really got installed 100% correctly to avoid grease contamination from Dexters EZ-Lube, including those he installed (he's honest), and have had a couple of auto adjusters either not adjust (three wheels braking) or adjust too much (one wheel brakes causing premature wear and/or flat spots).

A good bearing pack should last 20,000 miles, but we have ours inspected/repacked/adjusted once a year, since we usually are on the road for 8-14,000 miles a year.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:26 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Trillium 4500 suspension

Hi Vic, I had replied in part to you a few weeks ago re the axle. Unfortunately, I am again not at home where I have my info.
From the descriptions I have heard, it is a torsion suspension (the wheels are attached to the torsion bar). But the torsion twist is (so im told) is supplied by a rubber eccentric inside the axle. The only repair I know of is to replace the axle. I did this about a year ago on my 1980 4500. Very roughly speaking (from my recollection) it was about $1000 for the custom made axle and $1000 for installation. This time I WILL reply to you when I have my info. I am near Lansing Michigan, I think it was a Dexter axle made in Tennessee, there may be Canadian suppliers.
The replacement made a world of difference and raised the trailer about 3''. Also when the truck shop who did the installation did a preliminary check from his pit he found about 1/2 of the 8 bolts that connect the shell to the frame were loose or rusted to the point where 1/2 the bolt was gone. I would check those first, they are easy to find and replace from inside the trailer and outside the frame.
You are welcome to contact me direct a thewellmans83@yahoo.com
Tom
Thomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 05:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Lift the box off of the frame. Then the axle is much easier to replace. And you will be able to sand/paint /inspect the frame. Assemble with new hot dipped galvanized bolts.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:54 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Trillium 4500 Suspension

Hi Vic, I did find my docs to order and install my new axle. Note there are some variations in trailer measurements so yours should be checked. Yes, it was about $2000 but makes a world of difference in towing. Check some of the older 4500 posts there was one from late last year saying he had two axles. Finally, for weight I think 2200# is the correct figure. I dont know if my pics will post. Send me your address if you want thewellmans83@yahoo.com

[IMG]image2.jpeg[/IMG]
[IMG]image1.jpeg[/IMG]
[IMG]image0.jpeg[/IMG]
Thomas W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium