Trillium Battery Connection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #1

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Question Trillium Battery Connection

The wiring diagram at Fiberglass RV - Document Center - trillium 1300 wiring diagram exactly matches the wiring in my Trillium 4500, which came to me without a battery ever having been installed.
I've since installed one, and added a charger to the existing converter. I connected the battery directly to the converter, a distance requiring the use of fairly heavy wire. It was a challenge getting that extra wire through the knockout on the box, but it's all worked fine.
In looking at the above diagram, I'm wondering whether I could have saved myself some trouble by making the battery connection at the junction box up front, where the tow harness connects to the trailer wiring. The diagram is unclear, at least to me, as to just where to plug in a battery.
And if I can make the connection there, will the charger output flow back along the (black) wire indicated as the only connection, or must I add another (or a heavier) wire?
Can anyone enlighten me? I'm contemplating some changes that may include moving the battery, and would much appreciate the information

Thanks!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
This diagram seems to show the battery up front, perhaps on the tongue, with a 20 amp fuse downstream going to the converter. that would mean a minimum #12 wire from the battery to the converter. I used a #10 wire on mine.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
This diagram seems to show the battery up front, perhaps on the tongue, with a 20 amp fuse downstream going to the converter. that would mean a minimum #12 wire from the battery to the converter. I used a #10 wire on mine.
Joe
It isn't so much the battery location I'm wondering about- it's where and how I can connect it.
As the diagram indicates,the tow wiring harness connects to the trailer wiring at a junction box up front next to the fridge. The black wire going from there to the converter looks like # 10, and it's fused at that point.
Can I connect the battery there, or must I run a separate wire directly to the converter?

Thanks!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
You can connect there, I can't see any issues, if i'm missing something. I'm sure someone will jump in

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
............................ and added a charger to the existing converter...........................Thanks!
Did you connect a charger and a converter in parallel? The output results are likely unpredictable based on internal impedance of the battery, the converter and the charger. Most modern converters include charging function by design; I would suggest going this route.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, trillium