Trillium Belly Band - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: Trillium 5500 1981
Ontario
Trillium Belly Band

We have a Trillium 5500 and had to remove the belly band to repair leaks. Now we need a new belly band, we have tried various automotive and boat supply shops but nothing so far fits the bill. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
dorothyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Leaks from the belly band, or more accurately the steel plates embedded in the fibreglass, is fairly common on Trillium trailers. Search the term "belly band" and you will see what I mean. The steel plates start to rust, then they expand and cause the fibreglass around them to crack and leak.

Typically the plates are ground out and the fibreglass repaired after.

While I don't have any leaks yet, I can see bulges on the inside of my 4500. I am going to take the belly band off my trailer grind out the offending plates, and then fibreglass over the seam. I plan to paint over the repair, and the rest of the trailer for that matter. No belly band.

This is a fairly popular option.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyb View Post
We have a Trillium 5500 and had to remove the belly band to repair leaks. Now we need a new belly band, we have tried various automotive and boat supply shops but nothing so far fits the bill. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Hello Ann and welcome to the forum. If you use the search feature (upper riight on the page) and Google search (toward the bottom of the options) Trillium belly band you will find several hours worth of posts. Lots of folks have removed the belly band completely and replaced it with self adhesive auto trim. I'd try Walmart, any national auto parts chain, or an auto body supply shop. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Leaks from the belly band, or more accurately the steel plates embedded in the fibreglass, is fairly common on Trillium trailers. Search the term "belly band" and you will see what I mean. The steel plates start to rust, then they expand and cause the fibreglass around them to crack and leak.

Typically the plates are ground out and the fibreglass repaired after.

While I don't have any leaks yet, I can see bulges on the inside of my 4500. I am going to take the belly band off my trailer grind out the offending plates, and then fibreglass over the seam. I plan to paint over the repair, and the rest of the trailer for that matter. No belly band.

This is a fairly popular option.
I'm in process on this now. You can read a bit about it here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-49308.html

I've done a bunch of work with a flap disk sander ... but I think I found a faster way to get at the plates. I'm using a dremel multitool with a cutting attachment to cut into the exterior fiberglass, just deep enough to get the plates. This is much faster, and more specific. I still grind a bit around the edges to facilitate the new fiberglass.

Here are two picts, one plate cut out, and one ground out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1821.JPG   IMG_1822.JPG  

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hello Ann and welcome to the forum. If you use the search feature (upper riight on the page) and Google search (toward the bottom of the options) Trillium belly band you will find several hours worth of posts. Lots of folks have removed the belly band completely and replaced it with self adhesive auto trim. I'd try Walmart, any national auto parts chain, or an auto body supply shop. Good luck, Raz
You can find the self adhesive body trim here: Body Mouldings Dealergoodies.com

Bought a 34' roll for $46.00. Got the black middle with chrome on the outside edges 2" wide. Black and Chrome VT series. They have a large selection of various styles and lengths.

Spanke
Old 01-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

Ontario
trillium belly band

thanks everyone who responded to our problem, it has been a big help now we have some sense of where to go with it.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #7

Ontario
Smile trillium belly band

We tried to order moulding from Body Mouldings at www.dealergoodies in the USA as someone suggested, however apparently they just deal wholesale and not with individuals. I am wondering if we have to go through a dealership (we are in Canada) in order to be able to do this?
thanks for any response
Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I really like what Reid Larsen and others have done... fill and paint the belly band area. Maybe just a stripe? No possibility of leaks! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-48922.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium