Trillium Belly Band: is this a workable fixit? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Trillium Belly Band: is this a workable fixit?

Hello,

I know there are a lot of threads about the infamous Trilly Belly Band, but I want to ask some specific questions. I have no experience glassing, and am not really motivated to add it to my resume right now. But I suspect my 1980 Trilly 1300 may be in need of some TLC around there. Considering the state of the front window I just cleaned up ... I wouldn't be surprised. Here's what I propose to do and I'm hoping you can tell me if this is a workable fix.

1. Remove the current band by drilling out the rivets and clean the area thoroughly. 2. Fill in the rivet holes with marine grade, sand-able, non-silicone epoxy. Allow to cure, and sand. 3. Clean the aluminum band with Mag wheel cleaner. 4. Reinstall the band with stainless steel screws. 5. "Paint" around the screw heads with a bit more epoxy.

Do you think this will keep the water on the outside of the trailer where it belongs for a good long time?
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Don't forget you will have to re seal the top of the belly band with a a good quality non siliconized caulk .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

WA
Silicone on fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Don't forget you will have to re seal the top of the belly band with a a good quality non siliconized caulk .
Hello Mike: I think I remember reading somewhere on this site that you shouldn't use silicone on fiberglass. Have you used it successfully?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Proflex works good can get it from most rv places
Steve_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Name: George
Ontario
Registry
You mentioned using stainless screws to attach the belly band, I sure hope that you are talking about stainless bolts, nuts & large washers? I mean those used for yachts. I would only use a sealant (top & bottom) as used in truck industry for HD use. Not silicone!
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
What are you expecting to screw into? Do you plan to drill through the shell, and the Ensolite and line the inside of your trailer with bolts and washers?

This doesn't sound comfortable to lean up against.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

WA
See! This is why I asked! ( : Thanks

I hope to screw the screws into the holes the rivets leave behind -- these holes get filled up with nice new tough hard stuff to screw into -- the marine epoxy.

I've understood that the belly band is just there to cover the seam -- it's an aesthetic rather than a structural thing. And that the strength of the seam is in the fiberglass ribbon on the inside of the trailer. I reasoned that the the screws are really only holding on the belly band itself, and don't serve any structural purpose per se. So, the epoxy keeps the screw holes from leaking, along with extra sealant applied on the inside of the band.

No?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

Alberta
Registry
No.

The belly band is held on by rivets into metal plates that pull the top and bottom of the shell toward the belly band. The ribbon you refer to is applied to the inside of the shell, over these plates, after the belly band is installed. The plates rust out, and the belly band falls off. Not all the plates rust, so you would need to get them out. Leaks occur when water gets into the pockets, between the ribbon, and the shell, that the plates sit in. When the water in this pocket freezes, it expands and separates the ribbon from the shell.

The fibreglass ribbon is all that is left to hold the top and bottom together. It is about 1/10" thick. Not much for a screw to bite into.

The socket, where the metal plate used to be is somewhat deeper then the thickness of the shell, and the ribbon, due to the now missing plate. If you filled this up with resin, and something to thicken it, you might have 1/4" to 1/3" of material to screw into.

At this point, it should be noted that the belly band is very easy to bend. Removing it, in any condition suitable to put back on, will be difficult.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #9

WA
Well ... heck. Live and learn. So the band is not just a pretty bauble then.

So, to do this absolutely right: I risk bending the belly band, need to grind out the metal plates, glass the voids, etc., etc. I need a nap.

Is there a way for the less enterprising among us to seal it up? The top of the band is currently sealed with a thin bead of silicone. I could remove that, carefully, and use maybe the Proflex stuff instead?

I'm old David . . . mercy much appreciated.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
The easy method would be to fill the gap between the upper and lower shells with Bondo. Forget about the metal plates, unless they fall out on their own. Sand it flat, give it a coat of paint and stick on a self adhesive belly band.

The reason I grind out the belly band is to give more surface area for the new glass to stick to. The reason I use glass is that I like the look with no belly band. Using just Bondo I would run the risk of cracking, when the trailer hits a bump. But if there is a belly band covering the seam, then no one would see the crack.

No I don't have a source for a self adhesive belly band, but they have been discussed here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...and-66748.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...and-49852.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ent-52026.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-45509.html
Old 08-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleeno View Post
Well ... heck. Live and learn. So the band is not just a pretty bauble then.
It actually ends up being just this. Like Dave explained, it is an integral part of the construction phase, but one the glass layer is completed on the inside, there is really little structural integrity left to it. What is left, is meant to look pretty.

Not sure what you found, but some (or many) of the thin backing plates have rusted out, either partially or completely, so would not hold a screw, let alone a replacement rivet.

I went the full removal route, and am very pleased with the results.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #12

WA
Thanks to all who've responded -- I've learned a lot. I don't know why I'm inhibited by the thought of fiberglassing but I am. I've seen the posts where the belly band is replaced with a fiberglass band -- it looks really good. I think I'll start with glassing something else though before I take a grinder to my beloved little Trilly. To have it done by a pro will probably cost about as much as I paid for the trailer. (sigh) Thanks again though, I love these forums.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #13

Alberta
Registry
Colleen, I had the advantage of having what I call a cadaver in my fleet. I used the Cantaloupe to experiment on. I was so pleased with the results that I had no hesitation taking a grinder to the trailer we actually use. In fact, the whole process ended up being way more fun then I expected.

Buy the smallest, cheapest grinder you can find. Second hand is even better. Spend no more then $40. The sandpaper flap disk will take off material faster then you would probably want. The trick is going slow and gentle.

Wear a disposable cover all suit, gloves, a mask, and goggles. Itch is kinda unavoidable.

Relax and have fun. If you grind off too much, put more on, if you put on too much, grind it off. Repeat as necessary.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #14

WA
LOL David. My fear is that I'll turn my current Trilly into the cadaver. I'm fairly handy, but not quite handy enough I'm afraid for this job. At least not yet. Maybe a class or two first at the local community college. She needs to be road worthy for my cross-Canada trip next year. I'll take a few forays North first to work out the kinks. If she leaks (much) I'll fix her. Need to work on the remaining windows next.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
On Scamp the belly band is just ornamental. It is an aluminum channel that covers the lip along the edges of the top and bottom half of the egg but does not really provide any structural value or seal. On Scamp the seal is the fiberglass on the inside that joins the two halves. Top and bottom.

Might be where you got your original idea from since What you started out with was more along the lines of what one could do on a scamp.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Between pro and DIY there is the friends and family resource AND some community colleges will have a good student they can recommend for the project. Might be worth checking there.

Know some folks that head for an art student when they wanted to do decorations for kids rooms, turned out to be inexpensive and good work.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #17

WA
I'll bet you're right RD -- bet I did get some of my ideas from Scamp posts.

I was in fact thinking of resources like you suggest in your second post. Maybe I can be someone's graduation project! I will check. Thank you
Old 08-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Colleen, If you come by Calgary, I will let you practice on one of my trailers. I will even demonstrate. Good motivation to get back to work on the fleet.

It took me about a week to do it to the point where it was structurally sound, but I would let you go at one of my trailers till you felt comfortable with the process. Bring your own bunny suit, (disposable coveralls). I have gloves, goggles, and masks.

You can park your trailer in my driveway, or back yard, I have a big back yard.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Be cautious, Colleen. I have been in Dave's back yard, and I think he lures people with trailers in there, and the trailers never leave. I think this is how he got so many.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Be cautious, Colleen. I have been in Dave's back yard, and I think he lures people with trailers in there, and the trailers never leave. I think this is how he got so many.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium