Trillium Body Mounting Bolts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
CAUTION!!! 1978 Trillium 1300. Inspecting the bolts that hold the body to the chassis I noticed that a nut was missing off one of the 6 bolts. Since the trailer is over 30 years old why not inspect all the bolts? JB-80 penetrating oil was used overnight to try to get the rust on the bolts and nuts to cut loose. It was surprising to find that when loosening some of the bolts they simply broke off just under the head. Stainless steel bolts were very expensive and I could not find galvanized ones so I bought regular ones and primed and painted with light coats of Rustoleum. Re-installation was simple but ViceGrips had to be used on top while working under the rig as no helper was available. Lesson: Check the bolts! It would ruin your whole day to be towing, to notice a lighter load, and to look in the mirrors to see only a chassis hooked to the tug. Here are a couple shots of the offending bolts. Larry H

Click image for larger version

Name:	1Bolts.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	20691
Attached Thumbnails
2Bolt.jpg  
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft

Also, while you're on the subject, not a bad idea to check for the famous frame crack:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=28086
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hi Daniel, Thanks for the tip. Looked at frame and it has one
reinforcement each side on the outside in way of the front
mounting bolts. It is 3/16" thick so it should be OK.
Area around the front bolts inspected with no cracks found.
Thanks, Larry
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Randy - Another Ontarioan here with a '73 Boler. I recently did a frame-off check, and had my frame completely sand-blasted and painted, along with a new axle/brake installation. I had a welder install four additional 'hold-down' brackets made from 1/4 in. angle iron, and then used 3/8 in stainless bolts, washers, and nuts. to firmly secure my egg. I've always believed "for an extra buck - why not go first class".
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #5

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Not sure what's holding our trailer to the frame!

Hi All,
We're the new owners of a 1973 Trillium 1300 (in Vancouver, BC), and I've read this and these threads (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ody-43598.html, https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...lts-90414.html) with great interest. In inspecting our rear storage areas, it seems as though the 4 original screws holding the body to the frame at the rear had snapped off (proof - the original heads - still there, years later). On one side it looks like they have been replaced (and still holding), but not on the other side. I also noted that at least 1 of the 2 front bolts holding the body to the frame are also extremely rusted, loose, and need replacing.

I'm not super handy but can certainly drill and screw/bolt things - but we have 2 very young kids and so I don't have much time these days. I'm wondering:
* Is it really is that simple to replace those rear screws / front bolts (front bolts seem much easier)?
* If so, for the rear, do people have better experience with U bolts, single bolts or new screws?

If not, I'll probably just take to our local RV shop (seems like others on here have had good experience with TravCo in Burnaby).

Thanks everyone for the plethora of information that exists here already, and for any more current advice on fixing these issues.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Left Rear Storage.jpg   Right Rear Storage 2.jpg  

Right Rear Storage 3.jpg   Right Rear Storage 4.jpg  

Alex T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium