Trillium Cupboards Sagging - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #1

Name: Lloyd
Trailer: Trllium
Ontario
Trillium Cupboards Sagging

The answer to my question is probably in this website somewhere , but i can not find ....Anyway , looking for advice on ways to jack up my cabinets above the stove and fridge to get them level so i can the build braces to support them .
Thanks Lloyd
Lloydcamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
When re-installing the two wrought iron braces that rest on the counter top of my Boler 1700, I used appropriate length upright 2x2's together with numerous shims made of 1x2 remnants, etc. to raise the upper cabinet to its original position.

You can do this with your Trillium, but you will probably first need to reinforce the base cabinet (inside and below) where the support posts will be resting.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #3

Ontario
Thanks , no extra weight on the roof at this time , but we are going to install a fantastic fan . We have only had the trailer a year but i think the biggest issue up here is snow load . That will no longer be an issue , once completed it will be in covered storage for the winter months.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:30 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I use these:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/product/PA0008822124
Current on sale. I have several of them. Every fibreglass trailer in Canada that is stored outside should have these hold up the roof in the winter. Use a piece of 1/4" plywood to spread out the load. Increase the hight every couple of days till you are at the hight you want.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #5

Michigan
Registry
Dave those gadgets would come in handy!

Same concern in Michigan with snow and ice accumulation. I store the Boler 1700 outside, support the roof with 2x2 uprights and plywood to spread the load.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #6

Ontario
IThats a great idea , i am going to order one , Thanks
Old 01-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #7

Name: Deb
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Why not just use a closet rod? You can get cups for them as well. Here's a suggestion: https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cate...t-rods/1191788
Deborah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #8

Ontario
Thanks , yes you could use a closet rod . But i have to get the cupboards and roof jacked back up to their original height first . Just ordered two of the jacks that David suggested.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:41 PM   #9

Name: Lane
Trailer: Casita
New Hampshire
I'm a little confused here. I'm not Trillium savy at all. Are the roofs so weak that they can't hold the weight of snow? And if so why not just clear the snow off?
Lane Noyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:52 PM   #10

Michigan
Registry
Roof sag is generally a problem with Trilliums and Bolers. It can be caused by snow load over many years, but also it may just happen over time because the roof wasn't designed to maintain its shape "forever". Keep in mind that most of the Trilliums and Bolers are over 40 years old.

Also, on this forum several threads have shown Boler 13 roofs collapsed due to snow load.

"Why not just clear the snow off?" Answer: Can't do this if the trailer is stored in a remote location. My Boler 17 is stored in a remote location. In winter, I insert temporary roof supports.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #11

Ontario
Yes i think the above answer will solve any "confusion " , i kept the snow load off last year as this was the first winter we owned her .Only thing is i was 43 years to late .
Old 01-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #12

Name: Lane
Trailer: Casita
New Hampshire
Thanks for the answers. We're Casita owners and I wondered why such problems.
Lane Noyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane Noyes View Post
I'm a little confused here. I'm not Trillium savy at all. Are the roofs so weak that they can't hold the weight of snow? And if so why not just clear the snow off?
Not unique to Trilliums. Many of the vintage fiberglass trailers had weak roofs. The advent of roof AC units lead many manufacturers to reinforce roofs to handle additional loads.

Just like my parents screened in porch, snow loads can collapse roofs. I've lost several trees due to snow loads, particularly early snows where the trees still had leaves. Heavy wet snow is the worst.

These roofs were never designed for loads. They simply enclose the top of the trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #14

Name: James
Trailer: 1976 Boler Voyager 13'
Ontario
Snow load on roof.

G'day: My experience with my 1976 Boler 13 was not entirely due to roof sag, but frame droop and body sag as well due to the original design limitations. Can't speak for Trillium, but the old Boler bodies were cantilevered away from the frame mounting by flat boards in the floor, leading to sag, which distorts the entire body. The thin frame also developed sag--much like me in my geriatric status.

If supporting the roof for snow load, make sure that the support posts transfer the load to the frame, not on the cantilevered portion. Then only the frame will possibly sag but should rebound if the load is not too excessive. Can't beat snow removal for the best overall solution., even if only possible a couple of times over the winter. Snow loading can be surprisingly heavy.
JamesML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:34 PM   #15

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I use these:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/product/PA0008822124
Current on sale. I have several of them. Every fibreglass trailer in Canada that is stored outside should have these hold up the roof in the winter. Use a piece of 1/4" plywood to spread out the load. Increase the hight every couple of days till you are at the hight you want.
Hey David - great tip! For our new-to-us ‘73 trillium 1300 we’ve got body sag I was looking to fix, and we may need to store it remotely where it snows, so I just ordered a couple of those from princess auto. Thanks!
Alex T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium