Trillium Door Catch Problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2008, 04:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Thumbs up

HI All
I have a 1975 Trillium 13ft with a door problem. When I got my trailer the door catch was broken. It's not the actual lock but the "striker" type metal piece that catches the lock & keeps the door shut. Now I'm pretty sure the catch on my trailer is not the original....looks kinda like a metal piece that was kinda screwed in place but not firmly. What I was hoping to get here was maybe if someone out there has the original catch on your trailer you could send me some pictures of it. I have a guy who is willing to fabricate & install a new one but I need a visual/pictures of an original catch. Any & all help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance
Joan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
HI All
I have a 1975 Trillium 13ft with a door problem. When I got my trailer the door catch was broken. It's not the actual lock but the "striker" type metal piece that catches the lock & keeps the door shut. Now I'm pretty sure the catch on my trailer is not the original....looks kinda like a metal piece that was kinda screwed in place but not firmly. What I was hoping to get here was maybe if someone out there has the original catch on your trailer you could send me some pictures of it. I have a guy who is willing to fabricate & install a new one but I need a visual/pictures of an original catch. Any & all help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance
Hi: Joan D... You could try Trillium Outback in Calgary to see what they use on the new Outback trailers??? They do have a service dept. Some members have had good success with finding new parts for vintage Trills there.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Hi: Joan D... You could try Trillium Outback in Calgary to see what they use on the new Outback trailers??? They do have a service dept. Some members have had good success with finding new parts for vintage Trills there.
Thanks Alf...but I have already given the Calgary service dept a call & they don't have it (or anything similar). They suggested a couple places here in Edmonton....but unfortunately nobody seems to have what I'm looking for. That's when I thought if I could just see one, I could have someone make it and life would be good again...well at least the door would stay shut
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Maybe this post will shed a little light for you?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=270070
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Thanks Alf...but I have already given the Calgary service dept a call & they don't have it (or anything similar). They suggested a couple places here in Edmonton....but unfortunately nobody seems to have what I'm looking for. That's when I thought if I could just see one, I could have someone make it and life would be good again...well at least the door would stay shut
Hello Joan,

Check the post mentioned above. Trillium Outback in Calgary sent me the exact piece you need just a couple weeks ago. It's a part they manufacture themselves and they sell it for about $25 if I remember correctly, including the rivets. Just ask Lynn to send you the same thing they sent me.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Hello Joan,

Check the post mentioned above. Trillium Outback in Calgary sent me the exact piece you need just a couple weeks ago. It's a part they manufacture themselves and they sell it for about $25 if I remember correctly, including the rivets. Just ask Lynn to send you the same thing they sent me.
Hi All

Thanks a bunch for all the info. Daniel, the catch in the picture from the post above (Brendadave) it's PERFECT it's exactly the right one I need. Thx. However, I again called Team Trillium in Calgary & as you suggested, Daniel, asked for Lynn to send me the same thing they sent you. Lynn isn't sure what she sent you & as far as she knows there is NO door catch that will fit my 1975 trailer. I mentioned it's the part they manufacture themselves for their new Outbacks & sell it for about $25. She doesn't think so but needs to see a picture of it to know for sure. Daniel could you please e-mail the picture from the post above (Brendadave) to me so then I can forward to Lynn. Why does this seem so hard???
Old 06-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #7

Thanks again everyone Lynn in Calgary just called me back, she figured it out & is shipping the catch out tomorrow

Daniel, I have a couple questions....did you pre-drill the holes? If so, what size & kind of drill bit did you use? As I'm not too great with the fix 'em stuff, I need all the help I can get.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Thanks again everyone Lynn in Calgary just called me back, she figured it out & is shipping the catch out tomorrow

Daniel, I have a couple questions....did you pre-drill the holes? If so, what size & kind of drill bit did you use? As I'm not too great with the fix 'em stuff, I need all the help I can get.
Hi: Joan...Glad it worked out for you!!! It pays to stick to it!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Joan, glad you got it figured out. In case she's still not 100% certain, tell her it's their home-made door strike for the Bargman L300 door lock. I believe it's what they use on their new trailers.

Proper installation may be a bit tricky depending on how you tackle this. The door strike can be secured with the rivets that come with it, but that requires the use of a riveter tool! Not to worry, it's much easier than it sounds, but cannot be done if you don't have the right tool. Alternatively, I guess you could use small bolts with a nut or two on to hold it on the inside. The idea is to make sure they don't come loose easily, and the whole assembly needs to be sturdy enough to withstand the multiple door closings and the occasional slammings. As to pre-drilling, you need to understand that you're poking holes through fiberglass, and you most definitely need to pre-drill holes, and the holes need to be of the right size (which depends on the rivets or bolts). So there's a bit more to it than wood for example, and it's something you should get familiar with if you ever need to fix other things around the trailer. In my case, there were 4 holes, two of which go through the edge of the door opening, and two others that end up inside the cabinet at the corner. I also decided to plug the old holes with a bit of fiberglass resin.

Tags
trillium