Trillium Door Gasket - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
I recently acquired a 1973 Trillium 1300 (after about 8 months of looking) and am in the process of fixing it up to get ready for camping with my wife and baby. I've spent a lot of time culling through the posts here and on other sites learning about these unique trailers. My first big project was replacing the door hinges and gasket with new parts from Team Trillium. The hinges were relatively simple to install, as was the gasket, but I'm looking for some clarification on the whole door sealing system on the Trilliums.

My Trill's doorway had a piece of aluminum channel covering the bottom of the doorway - the original rubber gasket lined the rest of the doorway). I assume the aluminum piece was there for durability when people step into the trailer. But the gasket Team Trillium sold me was 15 feet long - enough to go all the way around the door frame so I removed the aluminum channel and just lined the doorway with the gasket.

Can anyone tell me if this how it was originally done or is the aluminum channel original?

Also, i've seen some pictures of other Trilliums and it appears that there is some sort of gasket on the door itself, lining the interior edge of the door. What type of gasket is this? Right now the door's interior edge has nothing on it - the fiberglass door seals against the rubber gasket in the doorway. The door closes quite tight with the new gasket installed (I can see a little bit of light leak in a couple of spots, but not much), but should something be on that edge of the door as well?

Thanks for any info you can offer!

noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if this how it was originally done or is the aluminum channel original?

[...]

Also, i've seen some pictures of other Trilliums and it appears that there is some sort of gasket on the door itself, lining the interior edge of the door.
Here are mine... which should be, as far as I can tell, original from 1974.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tril_doorbase.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	12000

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
tril_doorseal.jpg  
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Ours looks the same as Daniels'
Attached Thumbnails
DoorGasket.JPG  
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #4

Thank you both for the info and pictures!

Looks like I should trim the new doorway gasket and put that aluminum channel back on (makes sense for stepping in - just wasn't sure as my Trillium has some past owner mods - having never seen another Trill in person I'm not always sure what's original).

Does the bottom of your door seal against the doorway without having a gasket on the door frame there?

That leaves the trim on the edge of the door - my door had some old junky gray foam tape in some areas and nothing in others. I cleaned all that off and now it's bare. It looks like both of your Trilliums have a black rubber gasket glued right to the edge, maybe 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick? Any ideas on where I could source this?

Thanks again, I'm really grateful for this site and the active users willing to help.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #5

My door is currently removed waiting for replacement hinges so I can't answer this one now. You could always ask the folks that sold you the trim. I don't think the seal needs to be 100%, as long as it keeps rain and mosquitos out, and doesn't fall off easily. Perhaps some home depot type window foam strip would do.

By the way, if you don't mind my asking, did you use screws to install your new hinges? I'm wondering what to do with mine. It seems to me that the tool most likely to be carried by a thief would be a screwdriver.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Noah, from one Portlandite to another. I bought the foam gasket for my Scamp from Lowe's. It's closed cell, and it comes in different widths and lengths. You'll find it in the Insulation Department. If you want to see anothe Trillium, cruise to the Northern Oregon Gathering in April at Champoeg Park. Particulars about the gathering here.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips on the gasket - I'll check out what I can find locally.

Not sure if we'll be quite ready for a trip at the end of April - still have a pretty long list of stuff to get it in presentable shape!

Regarding mounting the new hinges - yes, I used screws (stainless phillips). That's what was holding on the old worn out hinges. I considered the fact that someone could come along with a phillips screw driver and pop off the door in a few minutes, but there are probably a lot of other things someone could do harm/steal the Trillium. I thought about using square or star bit hardware, but you can get those bits at any hardware or automotive store (and the thief you mention probably has one of those multi-bit drivers that can switch out tips in seconds!).

We're coming from the backpacking/car camping world (baby demands the more waterproof/warm surrounds of a trailer) so maybe I'm being a bit too trusting, but it seems like there's only so many steps I can take to make the trailer secure. If you come up with any ideas on better hardware to use let me know.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
I thought about using square or star bit hardware, but you can get those bits at any hardware or automotive store (and the thief you mention probably has one of those multi-bit drivers that can switch out tips in seconds!).
Not to mention a crowbar...

You are right there isn't really much we can do to prevent it, but I thought of a couple things that might help piss off that thief, at the very least. Using an assortment of screw types or filling the screw heads with a dab of epoxy, or using bolts. I might try using larger pop rivets myself. On the other hand, having a way to get in if I happen to lock myself out or lose those keys (and not lose the screwdriver) could be a good thing.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Not to mention a crowbar...
I'm think if you make it too tough they will use a crow bar...if they want in, they want in.

I go with the theory that if I park the truck in a really bad neighbourhood, I leave the window open so they don't break it (of course there is nothing inside to take anyway), so if the trailer is somewhat easy to break in, they won't break anything...it's worked so far.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Does the bottom of your door seal against the doorway without having a gasket on the door frame there?

It does not quite seal at the bottom even with the gasket, when the snow is really blowing, some of it finds its way inside and there is a little drift on the floor.

I have not worried yet, because even driving in a downpour, no water had come through the door.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #11

Just to close the loop on this thread - I heard from Lynn at Team Trillium - she said some of the original Trilliums had the aluminum piece at the bottom of the door and some didn't. Likewise, the seal on the door itself is usually applied if the doorway gasket isn't doing the job completely.

Thanks again to all who responded - glad to know there is such a knowledgeable and responsive group here...I'm sure I'll have more questions as things unfold - next on my list is pulling the windows for polishing and resealing!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #12

Quote:
next on my list is pulling the windows for polishing and resealing!
I just went through this myself a few weeks ago, and I'll be looking out for your new threads. I'm sure there's some info about this in the archive, too.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #13

Name: Kenny
Trailer: '79 13' trillium
Ontario
Can this gasket ie post #2 be sourced anywhere (aside from trillium in Alberta) ? I need to get some for my trillium, but I've not found anything that would accommodate the thickness of the two shells of the trillium.

And ya, I saw this thread dates to 2008...
Ksimdjembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #14

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hi All
I have just purchased a "Hengs" 9" roof vent from Tweety's.com for my '76 Trillium. I searched for some time before I found this item. It seems to be a good quality item. I also found a "d" shaped self adhesive door gasket on E-bay Priced @ $1.35 foot. Google it and the page should appear.
I hope I have helped someone today. I feel good! Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #15

Ontario
Like this? :
Trim Lok Lock Seal 3 16 x 5 8" Bulb A Side Door Rubber Trailer camper RV | eBay
Old 04-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #16

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
That type would work on an edge around the door . as for the back side of the door you'll need one with self adhesive strip on the back surface. Brickyard industries was the seller of the piece I bought. It was "d " shaped (Rahleigh N. Carolina I think) search for that site !
Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #17

Ontario
Did they sell it by the foot?
Old 07-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #18

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 1974 Trillium
British Columbia
Noah. Did you have to get the door trim from Team Trillium or is it something you can get at any hardware store? I have a '73 13' Trillium and the lower half door trim isn't even there anymore and the metal rod just fell off...and the holes it was screwed into broke open. Thanks!
NitKnit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium