Trillium door sags no more - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Trillium door sags no more

So the sagging door on my 1978 Trillium 1300 finally got to the point where it was starting to rub the shell. Previous owner had used the glue and toothpicks. I had wanted to make the more permanent fix using plates on the inside and SS machine screws and nuts, and still may, but I needed an easier and quicker fix before taking off to Death Valley last Spring Break (concerned if it didn't come right off it would wear right through the gelcoat). So I removed the shell side of the offending hinge, drilled out the hole to 3/8" and packed it with PC Fix Marine Epoxy Putty (available at a Home Hardware near you), filling it bit by bit and packing it hard using a punch. After it hardened for 15 - 20 minutes I drilled small pilot holes, reattached the hinge and set the screws. I left the door wedged and taped overnight and it is rock solid.

I was so pleased with myself that I skipped and sang my way to the garage fridge for a celebratory cold beer. However, one day during that DV Adventure I realized that my sagless door now made it apparent that my Bargman L400 bolt was so worn that you could open the door with it locked, but that's a story for another thread.

I'm sorry I only took a couple photos, but I think you'll get the jist of what I did. (last pic is at Potlatch State Park, WA on our way to DV)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1410 (resized).JPG   IMG_1411(resized).JPG  

IMG_1425 (resized).JPG  
2morebeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium