Trillium door take off before paint? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Trillium door take off before paint?

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I bought a Trillium 1300 which I am renovating.

I have read about the major fixes to do- Sagging door, replace wood around the windows, frame strengthening, frame bolts, belly band repair etc.

I am starting on pulling the windows and removing the belly band. The trailer will go into a paint shop for fiber glass repair, prep and paint.

The only issue is my door is actually seated well, only sags a little bit, but is very functional. Should I remove the door hinges for paint? The hinge screws are a little rusty which I would like to fix but I don't want to pull screws on the hinges and then have the door not seat well. As well I plan on removing the canopy metal slider. Have anybody successfully removed that and then repaired the fiberglass?

What should I do here?

Oh ya and I need a door key!

I will post some pictures soon because we all love pictures
Shawn_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #2

Name: Vic
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I recently renovated a Trillium 4500. Regarding the door. If it's sagging now, it will get worse. It needs a fix now or later. What I did, and another person I know as well with door problems- you have to open the jamb beside the hinge (the area at right angles to the front), to access the wood that the screws go into. What I did was prepare a piece of steel, about an eighth of an inch thick, big enough that you could lay the hinge onto and mark where the screw holes are. Then drill holes, thread them with a tap, get bolts to fit, slide the piece of steel back into the jamb, position it behind the screw holes, etc, etc. Can you figure out what I did from this? It sounds long and complicated but it isn't really that difficult. You'd need to fill the jamb with body filler with the door on to secure the pieces of steel (for top and bottom hinge) in the correct position.
Vic Berger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, trillium