Trillium Hinge Repair - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #21

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom DeLuxe
British Columbia
Well, the alu sheet used for gutters won out. Aviation snips made quick work of it, and this stuff is so soft that I hand bent it to conform with interior door frame. I brushed on some contact cement to the metal and FG surfaces and after it had tacked, I pressed the hinge covers into place. A couple of self tappers finished the job. Tomorrow I will brush on some contact cement to the back of the lining and the area of 'glass I pealed it back from and so finish this pain in the butt job. Next comes brake conversion from surge to 10" electrics. And my wife asks, "When are you going to do the floor covering?" This asking is rather like an Imperial command, actually, but it is a year overdue, so I guess she has a valid point. Floor, then brakes, I guess.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Next comes brake conversion from surge to 10" electrics.

I've never heard of a Trillium with surge brakes- what year/model is it?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #23

British Columbia
Francesca, it is a 1980 model, and I don't know the original specs. What I do know is that a previous owner had the axle raised about two inches to increase ground clearance, possibly for going off highway into lakes areas, or for hunting. This owner probably modified the tongue and set it up for surge brakes. They will be leaving the trailer, and the frame will be modified at the tongue to put the hitch in a straight line with the frame, rather than being upset 3 inches. I like the increased ground clearance, it makes the trailer look less like a toy!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #24

British Columbia
Must confess, I did not finish the job today! It was my wife's 65th birthday, and other, more pleasant things prevailed.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #25

British Columbia
But I did get it "finished" (is it ever finished??) today, it being a hot day, and great for brushing on contact cement to the surfaces and pulling the lining back into place. The door fit is lousy, but you know all about that; that said, Raz, your door fit is fantastic, if that pic is of your Trillium. What year is it? I don't care so much about the belly band misalignment as much as I care about the proximity of the leading lower edge of the door and its frame, and I will either relief grind or loosen all hinge screws and try to force the door away from that edge.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Mine is a 2010 California made Trillium. As far as the door fit, I taped the door in place doing my best to keep the crack even, set one hinge and then using a stick with two nails in it, set the second hinge.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #27

British Columbia
2010!!!!! It's almost still in the womb! And your door was already giving problems!? Ah yes, the stick with two nails AKA Precision tool. My saga will continue, but probably not until the fall, unless the bolts loosen, as I'd have to pull the lining back again and remove the cover-plates to get to the lock nuts. I'll try adjusting the door side of the hinges, most likely.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #28

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Interesting posts and solutions. I think my door sag is finally taken care of. Looks 98% better. Repair guys just re-drilled the bottom hinge holes to move the door up and center it better. Now the door closes much easier and and be opened and closed easily from the inside. Next question will be if it stays closed during travel. No issue with that getting it home so I'm hopeful. Cost me 4 hours labor at $89 per hour. No I didn't get kissed.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #29

Name: Randy
Trailer: Surf Side TM14
Idaho
Looking for repayment hinges for a SurfSide TM14. I have repaired the mounting areas and installed backing plates. Thought I wouldn't have any trouble finding the hinges, so far no luck.
Rcnampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm, since the title of this thread is Trillium Hinge Repair... are SurfSide hinges the same? I'm confused.

Can you post a picture?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #31

British Columbia
My neighbour has a SurfSide, and I can ask him re sources; If I remember correctly, the hinges on his trailer are quite different to Trilliums, but he may have at some time used another frig door hinge! I'll get back here.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcnampa1 View Post
Looking for repayment hinges for a SurfSide TM14. I have repaired the mounting areas and installed backing plates. Thought I wouldn't have any trouble finding the hinges, so far no luck.
Randy, you need to speak to Jeremy. He's been posting all kinds of pictures of mods, etc. Here's a direct link to a picture of his hinge: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post354125
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium