Trillium window removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
I have recently aquired a Trillium 4500. It has most of the general problems associated with its age. I have several months this winter to go through various systems and repairs. First will be the exterior, windows, belly band, and an off frame painting of the frame. The shell is good original gel coat and in fair shape.

So to start; How do you get the windows out? I removed the exterior screws (Starting with the rear window), but on the inside the ?ensolite? fits tight to the window frame edge and there is a trim strip along the lower edge of the window (does it need to be removed?) and I am wondering if there are other screws somewhere on the inside under the interior wall material?

I,m going to need some parts, the slide in rubber seals look like they are available from antique trailer (some of them anyway) looks like 3 different types, and the plastic snap on screw covers (long plastic extrusions) along the outer edges of the window frame could use being replaced (any source?)

Any ideas for parts sources and how to get the windows out would be appriciated.

So one thing at a time windows first. --Dan--
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Can't help with the window removal, but window parts .. check here from the Helpful-Links:
Windows and Window Parts
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
my windows were only screwed on from the outside, but I didn't have a trim strip inside.
They are in place with either butyl rubber or a type of caulking and may need some persuasion to slide out.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Some past threads:
rear window removal Trill 4500
Trillium Window Removal
Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That exterior trim strip (black band that covers the window screws) is a really common RV part. I've seen lots of it on eBay, and it should also be available at just about any RV dealer (not just an "oldie" one).

The same style of strip goes over the belly band rivets, I believe.

Would love to see photos of your 4500!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #6

Belly band rubber (a.k.a. black vinyl insert molding) and Hehr-style window screw cover moldings are two different things, but are commonly available or can be ordered at many RV parts stores. The window moldings come in 8' lengths I believe. Also, each side should ideally be in one piece, so be sure to order a bit more than you need to compensate for losses due to the window measurements.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 PM   #7

Raya, You have reminded me I should take photos of the project as it goes. Some pre purchase photos will be added if I can figure out how.

Daniel, These linked posts were just what I needed, my search did not show them or they were lost in the mass of older posts.

Joe, Your comments are reassuring in regauds to the process, I didn't want to force something I didn't know of that might be holding the window in.

Donna, Thanks for the links, they will help in finding parts.

It seems the ensolite may be snugged in around the inner frame, I will see if I can carefully slip a thin metal strip inbetween the frame and the fabric as a sliding surface, maybe one of those thin plastic cutting board sheets will work. Also I will take the screws out of the emergency window latch just in case they protrude beyond the window frame. The inside of the trillium is in fair shape so I am trying to not disturb it if possible. Of course I'm going to have to recover the cushions and new drapes, the shelves need new varnish and the fridge is probably shot. Right now I am replaceing the tail lights and side marker lights plus rewireing the vehicle connector to 7 pin and all wires to be marine stranded and tinned wiring. I'm going to add a battery in a custom home made fiberglass box which will hang in front of the propane tank, half above and half below the top of the trailer frame. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself on the projects so I will finish the wiring and the windows before going on. Much thanks for the comments and more to come. --Dan--
Attached Thumbnails
2163_1.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Daniel V. - Thank you for correcting me on those plastic inserts not being the same shape.

Dan: Thanks for the glimpse! Looks like you found a nice one, and I look forward to watching your progress if/when you get a chance to post about it. We do love photos here

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna, Thanks for the links, they will help in finding parts.

It seems the ensolite may be snugged in around the inner frame, I will see if I can carefully slip a thin metal strip inbetween the frame and the fabric as a sliding surface, maybe one of those thin plastic cutting board sheets will work.

Much thanks for the comments and more to come. --Dan--
You're welcome Dan. There's lots of help to be found in the Helpful-Links and Document Center.

If you need to cut through butyl or such on the exterior, use a plastic knife (non serrated side). It won't cut into the gelcoat.

As Raya said, we love pictures!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Dan... Looks like you got a nice one!!! "Recover the cushions and new drapes". I remember 1970's Orange After you're done it will be perfectly yours!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #11

Quote:
It seems the ensolite may be snugged in around the inner frame, I will see if I can carefully slip a thin metal strip inbetween the frame and the fabric as a sliding surface, maybe one of those thin plastic cutting board sheets will work.
You should be able to use a plastic blade of some sort to unwedge it and then carefully pull on it. At that age, chances are very high that you will need to replace the wood around the windows, so be prepared to carefully peel off that entire section of ensolite over the wooden frame using a sharp scraper, and glue it back on later using contact cement.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #12

Quote:
You should be able to use a plastic blade of some sort to unwedge it and then carefully pull on it. At that age, chances are very high that you will need to replace the wood around the windows, so be prepared to carefully peel off that entire section of ensolite over the wooden frame using a sharp scraper, and glue it back on later using contact cement.
Today I removed all the windows except the door window. I just had to pick the hardest one first, the rear window had a trim strip (5 pop-rivit) which had a interlocking slot into which the inside lower window frame was inserted. It had to come off first to get the window out. The four larger windows (back 3 and front) were installed with square drive head screws, most were in ok to poor shape (will be replaced with SS) except one corner in the back the screws were disolved and the wood piece (vertical only) was wet and delaminating, not rotted yet and now removed for replacement. Every thing came out without interior damage, ensolite is ok. all the other wood in all windows was good. From the look of the plywood I would say several pieces had been replaced before, but many years ago. The only oddity was the smaller frosted Jalousie window over the stove top; it had only wood at top and bottom - not plywood, lower was rotted and was attached with phillips taper head screws on top and bottom, with pop-rivits on the sides only in the glass shell. This window will be replaced with wood all the way around and SS screws. I'm going to make sure the windows are sealed well to keep water out of the wood. The caulk that was on the windows came off like dry chewing gum and clearly was not sealing the windows. On boats we use 3-M 5200, but this stuff is permanent so not my choice for these windows. Probably the byutal strips, but am investigating other caulking - not silicone sealer. So now I will be shoping for gaskets and window trim pieces while I clean up the windows in preperation for the re-installation. It may be a week or 2 before all is ready for the installation, but I have wireing to do for the running lights, a frame to unbolt and remove for sanding and painting plus all the non camper work That needs attention, (office work and such). One good thing about the Trillium, it fits inside of my garage which has a 7' 6" door so the windows being out will not be a problem if we get any rain. Thanks for the help Everyone and I will update as I work on the camper. --Dan--
Old 07-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Registry
Plastic Window Moldings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya View Post
That exterior trim strip (black band that covers the window screws) is a really common RV part. I've seen lots of it on eBay, and it should also be available at just about any RV dealer (not just an "oldie" one).

The same style of strip goes over the belly band rivets, I believe.

Would love to see photos of your 4500!

Raya
I am looking for Black Window Moldings that cover the screws and I am submitting a picture of what I am looking for. If you could direct me to a RV website that has these that would be great. I have been looking at many sites but have not seen what I am looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
P7070026.jpg  
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
They can be found here:
Hehr Screw Cover, Molding
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #15

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Registry
Window Moldings

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
They can be found here:
Hehr Screw Cover, Molding

Thanks a Ton. Just what I was looking for.
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:34 AM   #16

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hi Alex, I have just re-done all the windows in my 13 ' Trillium. If your windows are the jalousie type they should just pull out once "all" the screws are out. It is easy to miss one. The old butyl is likely stuck to both surfaces. The ensolite is glued to 3/4" plywood strips bevelled 45 deg away from the window opening. It is not glued to the window itself. You must be careful cutting the contact cement away from the ensolite. I used a dull edge putty knife as my wood was damp from leaks. Once you see the strips you will have a better idea what I'm talking about. The newer trailers have a different style sliding window. I don't have any experience with those "yet". Re-sealing the windows solved the leaks in my Trillium. Took about 2 days for all 4 windows. Buy some caulk tubes of no-more nails glue to fasten the esolite around the edges again.Get the water clean up type. Much easier ! Believe me ! Good luck with this. It will take some time but it's not that difficult. Don't skimp on the butyl sealer when you put the windows back in, "more is better" in this job !
Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium