Trim Lock?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We need something to cover the raw fiberglass edges where my husband enlarged the opening for the new, larger refrigerator. I've heard of Trim Lock but I'm not sure if that's what we need. Would that work? Can anyone tell me where it's sold?
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Call Scamp. They have a nice trim molding that slips over the edge of the fiberglass. My 2006 13' has it around all the cupboard openings. Probably around the fridge opening too, but I'm sure at the moment.

FYI, Trim-Loc is a brand name.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
On the left nav bar, under Helpful-Links you'll find a topic: Moldings. You'll find the link to the Trim-Lok website and others there.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
JC Whitney has a full offering of the trim as well.
One much less expensive option is to simply put molding around the fridge. You can either buy a molding strip at the lumber yard and stain it or make your own. I glued mine around the microwave with liquid nails and was simple to do.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
What I've successfully used on exposed edges in our trailer is a plastic door edge guard, readily available at most auto related stores. Its used for door edgeing or fenderwell trim, just pushes on over the edges. Conformes well to curves and if you need a really tight radius, just apply heat with a blow drier and apply to the glass edges. Comes chrome, gold, black and some other colors too.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #6

Great information! I'll start checking out the options. Thanks so much!
Sandra
Old 02-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Sandra, Trim-Lok is generally only available from the manufacturer in fairly large rolls (like 100' or so); however, it can usually be bought by the foot at some of the larger truck stops that sell truck accessories, if you have one nearby. We live near the Iowa 80 truckstop and I've found many, many useful items in their "truck store".

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
My Scamp came with all sides of the openings covered with a nice little white trim except the side that the hinges are on. The reason there is no trim on that side is because a wooden backing is put on to keep the screws from working there way out and the trim is not wide enough to go over it. The factory had told me this when I was cutting a new door opening to be sure to back the screws with wood as they don't tend to vibrate out as much as they do when screwed into only fiberglass.

The overhead cabinets doors hang from the top consequently I was busting my knuckles on the raw fiberglass edge nearly every time I went into them. I wanted the trim to match so I ordered several lengths of trim from the factory. Since it's "U" channel and not wide enough to fit over the fiberglass and wood backing I simply cut the back side off making it an "L" channel. I had to file it down a little where the hinges are just to make it a little thinner so the door would close properly. I adhered the trim to the cabinet with contact cement.

Works great, looks nice and it all matches.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #9

More good info, Roger & Joy! I'm going to try to get this done before we head out on our first trip this spring.
Sandra