Trip planning: Daily distance - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 01:00 AM   #41

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
A small gas tank, a dog, and wife means that we make a lot of long stops along the way. Travel speeds range anywhere from 55MPH on back roads (and California interstates" to about 70MPH on flat empty interstates when I'm pushing for distance. A short "stop and smell the roses" day is about 150 miles, and a long day is about 450 miles. We could probably push longer, but so far all our long days have either involved a late start or a single driver (or both).

RV trips with family and pet are definitely slower going than in a car with friends. I've done a lot of 500-700 mile days and a ~1K mile day in the past.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
...A short "stop and smell the roses" day is about 150 miles, and a long day is about 450 miles...

RV trips with family and pet are definitely slower going...
Sounds a lot like us. It took a whole day to drive from Pismo Beach to Big Sur, and I was wishing we had spread it over two days. The 500 mile trip from our home in eastern Arizona to Carlsbad Beach takes a day and a half.

So I'd say anywhere from 150 to 450 miles a day is about right, depending on (1) roads, (2) weather & traffic, and (3) how much there is to see along the route.

Our gas tank gives us a range of 275-300 miles towing, but we usually top off when it drops below half. Getting out and walking is good for my back and circulation, and the family always welcomes a respite from the car.

Back in the 70's we did some long days coast to coast pulling a tent trailer. What kept us four kids sane was the anticipation of Mom's obligatory Dairy Queen stop every afternoon.

Retired and without kids, I expect It will be even slower going, not because we have to, but because we want to. Ice cream is always good.

Anybody else enjoy DQ's weekday happy hour specials?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #43

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Did a fairly long trip last August to pick up my 15B. Drove from near Edmonton, AB to Casper, WY and back (about 3300km - 2050miles) in a weekend, with myself as the sole driver. That was not enjoyable for me, especially driving after dark when tired.

When possible, I prefer a more relaxed pace with a maximum of about 3 to 4 hours per day of driving, which then gets you to a destination early in the day and allows time for enjoying the facilities/sites/food or whatever.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #44

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My wife will NOT drive when we are towing , so I am the only driver.
I hate driving, always have , always will.
I will drive for 2 or 3 days in a row for up to 8 hours per day and then we camp for 2 or 3 days.
If all I am going to do is drive for 8 or 10 hours a day , everyday for 2 or 3 weeks , I would rather stay home. If I have to drive a small cramped car or SUV then one day is my limit
All trips when the two of us are in the car, I do 100% of the driving. I always have. I like it and my wife prefers it that way too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #45

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Seldom travel more than 4 hours/200 miles in a day. Avoid interstates if possible. Mostly 50/55mph with frequent stops for views, explorations, smelling of flowers. Usually leave one camp early in a.m., camped in new spot by mid-afternoon. Life's good!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #46

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
dq

as jon says dg is always good for a stop!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #47

Registry
Sadly we like the western US best for camping and we live in the SE. so we either need to cover quite a bit of ground per day while we are moving or we are gone too long. Going to AK this summer, figuring about a 12,000 mile trip. Not every day is a travel day, some days we are going to stay in one spot, say ten of the days on this trip. At 200 miles per day that makes for a 70 day trip. Even at 500 miles a day it’s a 34 day trip. 34 days is about our limit so 500 miles a day is it.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
The distance I travel in a day varies greatly. In the past I have had to limit my trips to around 2 weeks due to working, so tended to do long days of driving, from 6-800 km per day to get to a destination, then sit and relax for as long as I can, then boot it back home.

We just got back yesterday from a 5 1/2 week trip, the longest we have ever taken. At the beginning and end of the trip we did long days as we had deadlines, a dental appointment in Mexico when headed down, and a surgeon appointment for my wife tomorrow back in Calgary. This saw us driving interstates most of the way.

When moving around once we were down in Arizona, our daily trips were much shorter.

Once I fully retire we plan to cut our travel days down to 2-6 hours, all dependant upon where we wish to be. We will also be travelling a lot more off of interstates, where we enjoy the more beautiful scenery and wonderful towns these roads go through.

As far as the speed I tow at I either keep it at the speed limit or a bit more if that is what traffic is doing to be safe. I do limit my top speed to 120 km/hr (75 mph). Some of the driving I did over the last few days on snowy and icy road conditions saw the speed reduced accordingly, though I am quite comfortable towing on these roads, I do it all winter long with my work cargo trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #49

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Sadly we like the western US best for camping and we live in the SE. so we either need to cover quite a bit of ground per day while we are moving or we are gone too long. Going to AK this summer, figuring about a 12,000 mile trip. Not every day is a travel day, some days we are going to stay in one spot, say ten of the days on this trip. At 200 miles per day that makes for a 70 day trip. Even at 500 miles a day it’s a 34 day trip. 34 days is about our limit so 500 miles a day is it.
I don't understand why camping in the Western US is the least bit sad . We find camping in the Western US extremely pleasurable
The scenery is beautiful and the climate is great especially in the Pacific NW .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #50

Registry
Yes I agree once you have spent time out west you are spoiled.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #51

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
bill if my back allows off to Alaska this summer too. we have been there once flew there with the tent rented a car but I want to see more of Canada!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote