Triple E Window Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #21

Name: Haley
Trailer: Triple E
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Macdonalds View Post
It may be the ensolite that is sagging. That is a foam type insulation that was used as an interior finish similar to those colourful foam floor tiles only more flexible. Some call it elephant skin. It can be worth salvaging, re-glued, the seams can be caulked with painters caulk, and the whole thing painted. If it is the ceiling, the fiberglass itself may have sagged, usually from a snow load and often close to the roof vent. Water can pool on the roof and annoyingly drip in through the vent. The fiberglass will flex when the sag is pushed up. This can be fixed too. Many FG trailer owners have had to reinforce the roof. I'm doing ours. Again don't be discouraged. Fiberglass is a pretty forgiving medium to work with. If you screw up, you just grind it off and start again. Relatively cheap too. A lot of the battle is just having the confidence to try. My husband says I am fearless. LOL The trailer is MY project. He just wants to go camping!
Wow! How did you learn how to do the fibreglass work? You tube is great and this forum has been amazing so far. As I mentioned, an RV place quoted me $300-$500 for an axle, but I’m checking the bearings and the front as two people on here have recommended.

At 2pm tomorrow I go to look in person. And 90% chance that I buy. The structural stuff worries me because I’m a working mom with small kids and next to zero knowledge of that personally. I’ve also always wanted a Casita, but a redo on a small trailer like this one has been an interest for me too.

I really want to thank everyone who has offered their advice, tips, and encouragement.
SaskCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:07 PM   #22

Saskatchewan
Now let’s see if I can get some photos to upload...
Attached Thumbnails
AE4D3486-95CF-46B1-972B-63B55293FF9A.jpg   4E540130-C11A-42B9-9FE1-7F7B85047FB3.jpg  

71C7D8E0-2127-4A4F-B163-FE8FE62CE934.jpg  
Old 05-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #23

Saskatchewan
Sorry that they’re sideways, they aren’t Sideways on my phone. It’s the top right by the table and at the front where I think it might be the ensolite (thanks Old Macdonald) problem.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:52 PM   #24

Name: Rick
Trailer: . 1976 Triple E Surfside
Saskatchewan
I just bought a totally gutted 1976 surfside for more then you are paying. Run and buy it. I live in Regina and know nothing about fiberglass as well. I did grinded the left over foam off and I am starting to put up reflectix for insulation. At $475 it is dirt cheap. My windows are all good. Just need to reseal them as I have nothing in my way so I may as well. They do not leak. My frame is good no cracks on the bend up, where these usually crack.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #25

Saskatchewan
The ensolite is lifting at seams in places. I don’t know if I should tear it out or reseal it? The back window is broken, one side window panel is broken, and there’s a leak on the front window. It seems I have to post one photo at a time. I’ll try 2 next post.

My main concern is getting that fixed, and the vent cover on the roof needs replaced. Does any one know where I can get one?
Attached Thumbnails
07D006F2-3FB7-45D7-8378-83AFC4DA828F.jpg  
Old 05-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #26

Saskatchewan
Here is a picture of the worst spot of ensolite and one of the roof. I flipped them so hopefully they are the right side up this time.
Attached Thumbnails
F747D4E7-AD5A-4171-9FAD-7D0F648B0192.jpg   6FD94410-6B22-4AEE-B2DE-7D405A4BEA3B.jpg  

Old 05-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Typical aftermarket vent cover. Check Amazon or similar.

Lifted Ensolite is a typical sign of leaks. Fix leaks first, then glue it back down.

I think the windows are attached similar to Trillium. Lots of discussions on resealing windows. Not that big of a job.Typically the wood framing the windows are attached to rots out and has to be replaced. Do one at a time.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:19 PM   #28

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Typical aftermarket vent cover. Check Amazon or similar.

Lifted Ensolite is a typical sign of leaks. Fix leaks first, then glue it back down.

I think the windows are attached similar to Trillium. Lots of discussions on resealing windows. Not that big of a job.Typically the wood framing the windows are attached to rots out and has to be replaced. Do one at a time.
Thanks. I read somewhere these are the same as the Trillium 1300. I've patched all the leaks with tarp and duct tape until I can get the windows repaired. I don't have a garage, and we just got 2 inches of rain. No major leaks, but there is minor seepage. It looks like the wood has been replaced already, and then a messy paint job.

The front window and rear windows are pretty rusted, front looks beyond repair to me. the side windows look like they just need a good cleaning and one needs new glass.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:27 AM   #29

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
to add photos use the little paper clip icon. That will let you attach photos that are on your computer or phone. You don't need to post them on a website with a URL. It is a better option anyway as if the photo gets removed from a website then it will not show in this forum. But if you attach it using that paperclip icon it will not be dependent on its status on another web page.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #30

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
to add photos use the little paper clip icon. That will let you attach photos that are on your computer or phone. You don't need to post them on a website with a URL. It is a better option anyway as if the photo gets removed from a website then it will not show in this forum. But if you attach it using that paperclip icon it will not be dependent on its status on another web page.
I've been able to post a few pictures. But they're sideways so now I'm working on that.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #31

Saskatchewan
I'll try posting a picture here and to my album. I don't think this front window is salvageable due to the amount of corrosion/water damage. Unless I find a replacement bar as pictured? The other windows on the trailer should be okay with a thorough clean and glass replacement. I am phoning Murphy's RV in Fort Sk tomorrow to see what they have available for parts as far as the metal pieces go.

I'm sure Trillium windows would work, but does any one have any salvage/RV places that stock and ship these windows?

I ordered the vent cap and taped off all the leaks I could find so it's sound for now. The windows are the first order of business because it seems that' s where the leaks are coming from and I'm glad they're minor.

There is a nightmare of a "skylight" on the roof that's been butchered in. Plexiglass disaster but there doesn't appear to be leaks from it. However, it might need to go and the roof may need redone. I'll try to post a pic of it later as well.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #32

Saskatchewan
Here is the Skylight and a picture of some unknown parts.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #33

Saskatchewan
So the trailer does need an axle. My neighbor helped me tow it home on Saturday and we thought the damage might not be so bad...we were wrong.

The tire was skidding sideways a bit due to a bent torsion bar? It was raining most of the weekend so we just climbed under and looked at it tonight. Brakes are gutted, it will need an axle. And bearings, and brakes, and possibly a roof.

I believe the roof has also leaked or is compromised because it pushes up very easily around the vent, but the surrounding ensolite shows no evidence of water damage. I don't know if the cabinets are original, maybe support has caused the roof problem.

I'm not even sure where to start with the Franken-skylight travesty.

I am debating replacing the windows. I need to learn how to do fiberglass work because it will definitely need some where the previous owners have bolted various stupid things right through, or chosen to add things like a skylight or random window.

Nothing electrical works.

On a positive note, the neighbor is a mechanic and can do the axle for me. But he's not so sure he'll have time to do the brakes.

I'm feeling overwhelmed. But I just bought a camper that's nearly 50 years old, so I should have expected that.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #34

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCamper View Post

I'm sure Trillium windows would work, but does any one have any salvage/RV places that stock and ship these windows?

\
Look at your windows again, and then look at pictures of Trillium windows. They are not the same. Likely the same company, same design, different layout and size.

Even if they were identical (and they are not), there is not a plentiful stock of Trillium windows out there anyway. Realize you are talking windows that are 40 to 45 years old.

I don't see anything that can't be fixed in your picture. Plenty of rust converter primer, then paint silver. Dismantle as needed and go from there.

Skylight looks like a fiberglass patch project to me, perhaps size it down to fit a 14 x 14 Maxxfan.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #35

Saskatchewan
Thanks Bill. I didn’t realize that the window bars could be fixed when the corrosion and rust looks that bad.

If the leak isn’t coming from the skylight, do you think I could get away with sealing it somehow and leaving it for the time being?

It seems the leak in the roof is closer to the vent. Around the skylight it’s solid but has give around the roof vent.