Triple E Window Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #1

Name: Haley
Trailer: Triple E
Saskatchewan
Triple E Window Question

I’m looking at buying a Triple E. Just wondering if anyone can weigh in on potential issues from some photos?

Are parts on these trailers hard to come by? I may need to replace windows and appliances. It does need an axle but it’s priced at $475.

First I have to figure out how to post photos...but thought I’d ask in advance.

Thanks.
SaskCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If by "Triple E" you mean a Surfside Triple E and it's being offered in any condition for only $475, I hereby command you to get over there at warp speed and BUY IT, then we'll talk.
Just kidding, sort of...point is, window/appliance problems etc are readily solved but you'll never see another intact molded trailer at a price that cheap.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
surfside

Quetion why do you think you need an axle .i see a lot of people put in a new axle for tire where problems 'ie ' inside of tires worn out . that is bad bearings. dont use off shore ones as they don't last. i found that made in usa ones last the best.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #4

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If by "Triple E" you mean a Surfside Triple E and it's being offered in any condition for only $475, I hereby command you to get over there at warp speed and BUY IT, then we'll talk.
Just kidding, sort of...point is, window/appliance problems etc are readily solved but you'll never see another intact molded trailer at a price that cheap.
Thanks Francesca! Lol- I kinda wanted to buy it sight unseen, just from pics. It’s a neighbor kid a year out of high school that wanted to make a project, used it a couple of times, and then gave up.

Yes. It’s a 1977 Surf-Side. Triple E is a Canadian company based out of Manitoba, and they are still making RVs. I couldn’t find anything on their website about old model parts though. I know looking at Bolers previously that they go for a lot more than $475 in rougher condition than this one. I’m mostly just worried about finding custom parts for this make and model because they’re less common than the Boler and even Trilliums.

It would be my first major overhaul. Before this I re-did the interior on 2 campers. By interior I mean just window coverings, paint, upholstery, flooring, cabinet hardware etc. I’m leary of anything beyond cabinet hinges, but willing to do research and put in some hard labour on it. I go to look at it either today or this weekend.

I’m not sure how to upload pics, but it looks like the windows may have been leaking, and the damage was patched. One window is also definitely needing a gasket at minimum.

In a couple spots, it also looks whatever interior covering is sagging/lifting. I don’t think it’s fiberglass damage, but like I said- I need to find out more about this trailer. No appliances work, and there is electrical needing attention.

Thanks again, I’d love to post pics so I’ll work on that.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP 56 View Post
Quetion why do you think you need an axle .i see a lot of people put in a new axle for tire where problems 'ie ' inside of tires worn out . that is bad bearings. dont use off shore ones as they don't last. i found that made in usa ones last the best.

Thanks for your reply, I’m definitely going to see about bearings. The owner said it needs an axle, and was quoted from a local small business at $300-$500 to replace it.

I know parts for Bolers and Trillium’s are out there, but not sure about the Triple E Surf Sides. Maybe the bearings would be readily available.

My husband can do electrical, my dad is an excellent carpenter, so I’ll have some help I think. It will mostly be my project though.

But I’ll have to learn more about this whole venture. I can do basic carpentry, but I’m not mechanical and know very little about those aspects of an overhaul.

Thanks again for your comment on this.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #6

Alberta
surfside

This is one i am doing.A gut and redo.
Attached Thumbnails
20170510_140427.jpg   20170524_151050.jpg  

20170524_151020.jpg   20170524_151058.jpg  

Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCamper View Post

Yes. It’s a 1977 Surf-Side.
WHADDAYA WAITIN' FOR???? GO! BUY!
Wait...if I get in the car right now I can be in Saskatchewan in only 3 days of hard driving...hmmm...never mind what I said, just pm me the seller details. Please do not post them here or somebody else will try to poach this egg from me before I get there to poach it from YOU

We know about the Surfside, it's one of many knockoffs based on the original Trillium molds and is identical in its most basic form. And (as you've already discovered) the present day mfr has nothing to offer per parts but you don't really need it to. Apart from the basic shell everything on these trailers came from other places and there is nothing that can't be fixed or replaced, often virtually in kind and very cheaply. All you really need is US.... well, and love of course lol

Per pics from your own files, clicking the paper clip icon in the comments tool bar is for posting such attachments
Old 05-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #8

Alberta
Down side of the plan is the peske border. might open in July .
Old 05-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Windows are obsolete. So you need to fix what you have, or scrounge up windows at an RV salvage yard. Chances are what you find will not fit, so further modification would be needed. This is assuming you are taking the jalousie windows that are common on these trailers. So I am guessing here.

Regardless, $450 is driving in the car right now kind of price. $2,450 would be driving in your car right now, unless it is a complete disaster.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #10

Saskatchewan
Wow, thanks so much for your replies. I’ll PM for sure. This is super exciting. Francesca if you poach it, I’ll cry! Haha. I’ve been looking for a Boler or a Trillium for a few years, but I’m now sold on this Triple E. Yours looks great Map!
Old 05-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #11

Saskatchewan
Except I’m having trouble sending a PM? Not sure. I clicked your username.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #12

Saskatchewan
And for pics, it wants me to upload from a URL, so I’ll have to figure out that. When I click the image button, it doesn’t let me upload from my phone.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #13

Saskatchewan
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188542942@N07/albums

Does this work for pics? I made Flickr account.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCamper View Post
And for pics, it wants me to upload from a URL, so I’ll have to figure out that. When I click the image button, it doesn’t let me upload from my phone.
You sure you're clicking the "paper clip" icon for uploading? That URL request sounds like what you see if you're clicking on the mountain-image icon.

Weird you can't pm too tho, a box should open up if you click my name right here. Maybe related to limits of phone? I use a pc to access this page
Old 05-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can't send a message with a URL in the text, until you have posted a certain number of times. Don't post and email or phone number in the message unless it's disguised, like spelling out DOT instead of using a period.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
While you are discussing the merits of this trailer, someone else is picking it up. Hopefully this is NOT the case.

You've been looking for a Trillium or Boler for two years, and you weren't sure $450 was a deal? OK...
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #17

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
We have a '76 surfside and have it gutted right out. Working on rebuild from the ground up. We didn't pay a lot for ours but $475 is a steal. As for windows, you won't be the first to rebuild them. Some owners have replaced with new which can mean doing some fiberglass work if they are smaller or cutting if bigger but many just rebuild. Seals can be sourced from Vintage Trailer and crank mechanisms through the same or Amazon. Surfsides are great for having windows on all four sides that open. You will appreciate the cross breezes that provides. If you do need an axle, which is possible, we were quoted around $1100 CDN before taxes at Metro Centre just outside Winnipeg for a Dexter offset torsion axle complete with 10 inch electric brake assembly. You may be able to source an axle locally so check the Dexter website for a local supplier. Metro wants us to bring in our old axle so that they can measure it themselves. They want to ensure they get the right offset etc since it has to be ordered from Dexter. They said about 5 weeks to come in but that was pre-corona. You might be able to do better in Saskatchewan. I have been able to get lights, tires and stuff from Princess Auto but if you are looking to keep your trailer "all original" you can check the forum for people selling old parts. Just one thing, check the frame where it bends up at the front toward the tongue, up close to the body of the "egg". This is a notorious place for cracks in the frame. It"s a Surfside thing. Many of us have had this type of frame problem It is an easy fix for a welder and should by no means discourage you from buying. At that price anything is fixable but it is something to get corrected if it is a problem or to consider having reinforced if it has not yet cracked. Get it in the driveway! Pretty much anything you may discover later on has been encountered by someone on the forum and there is a wealth of info to be gleaned from other owners some of whom have done one or more full rebuilds. Sounds like you already caught the reno bug so go for it and good luck!
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #18

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Macdonalds View Post
We have a '76 surfside and have it gutted right out. Working on rebuild from the ground up. We didn't pay a lot for ours but $475 is a steal. As for windows, you won't be the first to rebuild them. Some owners have replaced with new which can mean doing some fiberglass work if they are smaller or cutting if bigger but many just rebuild. Seals can be sourced from Vintage Trailer and crank mechanisms through the same or Amazon. Surfsides are great for having windows on all four sides that open. You will appreciate the cross breezes that provides. If you do need an axle, which is possible, we were quoted around $1100 CDN before taxes at Metro Centre just outside Winnipeg for a Dexter offset torsion axle complete with 10 inch electric brake assembly. You may be able to source an axle locally so check the Dexter website for a local supplier. Metro wants us to bring in our old axle so that they can measure it themselves. They want to ensure they get the right offset etc since it has to be ordered from Dexter. They said about 5 weeks to come in but that was pre-corona. You might be able to do better in Saskatchewan. I have been able to get lights, tires and stuff from Princess Auto but if you are looking to keep your trailer "all original" you can check the forum for people selling old parts. Just one thing, check the frame where it bends up at the front toward the tongue, up close to the body of the "egg". This is a notorious place for cracks in the frame. It"s a Surfside thing. Many of us have had this type of frame problem It is an easy fix for a welder and should by no means discourage you from buying. At that price anything is fixable but it is something to get corrected if it is a problem or to consider having reinforced if it has not yet cracked. Get it in the driveway! Pretty much anything you may discover later on has been encountered by someone on the forum and there is a wealth of info to be gleaned from other owners some of whom have done one or more full rebuilds. Sounds like you already caught the reno bug so go for it and good luck!
Thanks very much. I go to look at the camper tomorrow. I like doing the renos but the mechanical and more detailed/difficult carpentry stuff is daunting. It looks as though there is something sagging from the fiberglass in the pics I have. Not a lot, just slightly. Like wallpaper maybe? When I can post pics, I'll point it out. The fiberglass worries me the most, since I have a neighbor who can weld and my dad can help with almost any carpentry.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I can't post pics yet and my link didn't work either. I think I have to hit a certain amount of posts on the forum before I'm allowed.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #19

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
It may be the ensolite that is sagging. That is a foam type insulation that was used as an interior finish similar to those colourful foam floor tiles only more flexible. Some call it elephant skin. It can be worth salvaging, re-glued, the seams can be caulked with painters caulk, and the whole thing painted. If it is the ceiling, the fiberglass itself may have sagged, usually from a snow load and often close to the roof vent. Water can pool on the roof and annoyingly drip in through the vent. The fiberglass will flex when the sag is pushed up. This can be fixed too. Many FG trailer owners have had to reinforce the roof. I'm doing ours. Again don't be discouraged. Fiberglass is a pretty forgiving medium to work with. If you screw up, you just grind it off and start again. Relatively cheap too. A lot of the battle is just having the confidence to try. My husband says I am fearless. LOL The trailer is MY project. He just wants to go camping!
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #20

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
While you are discussing the merits of this trailer, someone else is picking it up. Hopefully this is NOT the case.

You've been looking for a Trillium or Boler for two years, and you weren't sure $450 was a deal? OK...
1. Actually it’s not the case. The person selling it hasn’t yet advertised it and has had no inquiries besides mine. She told me to take my time and she’s in no rush to sell.

2. I’ve seen them for this price before, but I’ve also seen the price when they have been redone.

3. If it turns out that it needs major structural work, I just haven’t had the time, money, nor knowledge to invest and make it a worthwhile project.

4. I usually search on kijiji every fall, have done a limited amount of research, and even debated just buying new.

Okay?