trouble finding low toxin camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #21

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Thank you for that, Charlsara,

How long did it take for the smell to wear off?

Do you like the camper?

Margaret

It took a couple of months for the smell to go away when it was closed for long periods. When it did smell we opened it up and it was OK after a few minutes.

We do love the camper. I have done several mods to make it "ours" but it is a fine camper from the factory.

If you want to PM me. We can let you look at it. We are in SW North Carolina so we may be fairly close to you.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #22

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Now that's an interesting idea!

What about plumbing and wiring?

Margaret
I believe they said it could be built to any stage you like.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #23

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I am pretty sensitive to the off gassing though nothing like you. We had a Scamp that was two years old and it was still off gassing majorly.
I don't envy your task as unless you are building from scratch I think unfortunately it will be like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack.

With the carpet on the walls in the Casita I just cannot see that working at all, like you say maybe an older trailer with the full fiberglass inside.

Good luck, hope you find what you need.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:18 AM   #24

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Now we're getting somewhere! What about doors? Bathroom door?

Is the couch vinyl, and if so, can it be custom made into something else?

Did yours off gas much when new?

Sorry about all the questions.

Margaret
You can remove the bathroom door and replace it with a large towel on a solid metal tube rod, hung with screws and stainless washers. Use metal clip rings available at fabric stores and many other places. If you use a washed cotton "bath sheet" or beach towel, it's big enough, and there should be no toxicity. Also--probably lighter anyway, can be used to dry yourself (and will then just dry out while hanging), easily removed and washed, etc.

Also--marine grade ply sites we found in Seattle made a point of stating that they no longer use formaldehyde in their glue formulation. It's not necessarily an industry standard any more--easily checked at each source. We had our three sheets of 5/8" marine grade plywood drying in our living room for months over last winter before work on our 1973 amerigo (filled with mold and rot) had progressed to the point where we finally used them...I'm highly sensitive to mold and chemicals, and other than the smell of fresh wood, I experienced NO reactions to those three sheets.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #25

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
I can't really imagine what it must be like to have your problems Margaret. Our youngest great grandaughter was born with mild food allergies & her parents go to great lengths to accommodate her special needs, but nothing like what you have described. I've no recommendations for you, never having experienced what you describe. I do hope you're able to find a rig that will suit your requirements & are able to 'get on the road.' Best of luck to you!
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote