Trouble shooting DC Electrical problems - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #21

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Not necessarily true . I went to school full time for 2 full years before I started my 4 year electrical apprenticeship or picked up the tools.
I spent 8300 hours on the job and 1600 hours in night school before I was allowed to take the test for my state journeyman's electrical license and then I had to take an 8 hour exam to get my union journeyman's card. During my apprenticeship I was required to work under the direct supervision of a licensed journeyman.
Now as a journeyman / master electrician , I am required to take continuing education classes to maintain my license . Even though I hold an electrical license ( Master or Journeyman) , I am still required to pull a permit and have my work inspected by a state licensed electrical inspector
As a licensed electrician by law , I assume legal responsibility when I instruct people in how to install wiring.
I am under no obligation to train anyone in the art of installing / repairing electrical systems and jeopardize my livelihood / family.
If you believe that you can learn to be an electrician by reading Wiki than go for it
I tried to help the OP and soon realized he was in over his head.
A smart man knows what he doesn't know !!
The problem is professionals know what the negative possibilities and how easy it is to make a mistake that can cause something like a fire. The amateur doesn't know enough to know what can cause problems and maybe a loss of life.

Many amateurs take little bit of information and think they know it all, that's one of reason professionals don't like give out advice, including me.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #22

Name: Daniel
Trailer: UHAUL CT-13
Texas
Thanks everyone again for the words of support and the words of caution. Moving forward, I went ahead and tested the switch on the inoperable light fixture and found that I had continuity with the switch in the off and on position, which makes me believe I have a bad switch. I also found that I had 12v of dc power. So theoretically shouldn't the light be on both in the off and on position?
Daniel the Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #23

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check both wires on the light. The one that is the return wire and the one that goes to the switch.

Check the continuity on the bulb to make sure it is good.

Check the connection at the very bottom of the bulb socket to make sure it is up high enough to contact the bottom contact of the bulb.

Screw the bulb in all the way.

Is the bulb an LED?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #24

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel the Texan View Post
Thanks everyone again for the words of support and the words of caution. Moving forward, I went ahead and tested the switch on the inoperable light fixture and found that I had continuity with the switch in the off and on position, which makes me believe I have a bad switch. I also found that I had 12v of dc power. So theoretically shouldn't the light be on both in the off and on position?
First of all, ditto to what Darwin last said. Secondly, the number of "keep your hands of, get a professional to help" responses is somewhat astonishing and disappointing given the nature and large use of this forum. Sadly, many professionals take themselves way too seriously which is not helpful to legitimate DIYers. Just MHO. Thankfully my neighbor (architect and construction professional) gave me advice on constructing my barn despite the danger to myself and my horses if I did it wrong.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
A licensed electrician can lose his license and his living by giving advice. If you want help, pay him, and get it done properly.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #26
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
.....'. Sadly, many professionals take themselves way too seriously which is not helpful to legitimate DIYers.
My wife had a tooth ache. My neighbor, a dentist, had the same attitude when I asked for some tips on pulling the tooth. Go figure.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #27

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
I remember the days asking for advise and one of the big problems of asking advise on a spacific problem will get 100's of different answers and it will confuse the whole issue.
Many of these answers are pertinant and some are no brainers to one who has a bit of experiance with wireing but the technical answers can be over the top of a lay-persons head.
But this will lead the lay-person to learn alot (or and I suggest) to buy a book on basic Electrical of wireing trailers and see and read till you understand how it all works.
That way any and most problems that rise up you'll be able to repair.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #28

Name: Daniel
Trailer: UHAUL CT-13
Texas
Thanks

Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know I sorted out my electrical woes (at least some of them) turns out I had faulty ballasts in the lights and a dead motor fan. Bypassed the ballasts to convert the lights to LED, and found a cheap motor replacement so I am good to go there. The swamp cooler and furnace are still inoperable, but I will get around to them by and by. Anyways, thanks everyone for the advice, support or caution. Best.
Daniel the Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical