Troubleshoot Frig on Propane - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 06:00 AM   #1
DJD

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
Troubleshoot Frig on Propane

Guitar string magic??? I just returned from a trip where it would have been handy to run the frig on propane, but it would not light. I did a little troubleshooting yesterday and found 1) the wire from the igniter not connected. I was not sure if that was the culprit or if I had inadvertently knocked it off when removing the shroud to the gas collector box. That shroud also was missing the short 1/4" sheet metal screw that holds the cover in place. After purging the lines of air by lighting the stove first, I tried and failed to light the frig after reconnecting the igniter wire.

Step 2 - I removed the gas jet at the end of the gas line and had trouble determining if that very fine opening was clear. It appears to have a tiny glass bead in the brass fitting, so it allows light to pass through even if the orifice is blocked. I use light gauge acoustic guitar strings and always keep a variety of cutoffs for just such handyman chores. These range in size from .012-.053". I found the finest one available and passed it through the orifice but was unsure whether there was some light resistance at first.

Step 3- I reassembled the gas jet onto the end of the gas line and replaced the shroud. The frig lit right away! In discussion with friends, it seems that trips to the shop for the same problem usually result in the answer "we gave it a good cleaning" when questioned about why. I suppose this very fine opening is easily blocked and it certainly will not light without an ignition source. Sometimes, it's the simple stuff!
DJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #2

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
That "glass bead" you mentioned is actually a ruby and pushing a steel wire through it to clear it is a big "no no". The recommended method to clear crud from the orifice is to soak it for a while in alcohol and blowing out with low air pressure like canned air for your keyboard. If you feel you must push something through it at least use something like monofilament fishing line. The brass portion of the jet is stamped with a number indicating the bore diameter of the orifice which is sized properly to created the proper amount of BTUs to operate the particular cooling unit in your rig.

A plugged orifice is commonly caused from lack of use and insects often will plug the orifice.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin2 View Post
That "glass bead" you mentioned is actually a ruby and pushing a steel wire through it to clear it is a big "no no". The recommended method to clear crud from the orifice is to soak it for a while in alcohol and blowing out with low air pressure like canned air for your keyboard. If you feel you must push something through it at least use something like monofilament fishing line. The brass portion of the jet is stamped with a number indicating the bore diameter of the orifice which is sized properly to created the proper amount of BTUs to operate the particular cooling unit in your rig.

A plugged orifice is commonly caused from lack of use and insects often will plug the orifice.
Like spiders.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJD View Post
Guitar string magic??? I just returned from a trip where it would have been handy to run the frig on propane, but it would not light. I did a little troubleshooting yesterday and found 1) the wire from the igniter not connected. I was not sure if that was the culprit or if I had inadvertently knocked it off when removing the shroud to the gas collector box. That shroud also was missing the short 1/4" sheet metal screw that holds the cover in place. After purging the lines of air by lighting the stove first, I tried and failed to light the frig after reconnecting the igniter wire.

Step 2 - I removed the gas jet at the end of the gas line and had trouble determining if that very fine opening was clear. It appears to have a tiny glass bead in the brass fitting, so it allows light to pass through even if the orifice is blocked. I use light gauge acoustic guitar strings and always keep a variety of cutoffs for just such handyman chores. These range in size from .012-.053". I found the finest one available and passed it through the orifice but was unsure whether there was some light resistance at first.

Step 3- I reassembled the gas jet onto the end of the gas line and replaced the shroud. The frig lit right away! In discussion with friends, it seems that trips to the shop for the same problem usually result in the answer "we gave it a good cleaning" when questioned about why. I suppose this very fine opening is easily blocked and it certainly will not light without an ignition source. Sometimes, it's the simple stuff!
Never ever push anything through the orifice. You could possibly damage it or make the hole a different diameter and that could cause a fire. Use air lightly.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane