Truck rail spacer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Truck rail spacer

My new Frontier came with a spoiler attached to the tail gate. It sits about 1/4 - 1/2 inch higher than the top of the bed rails. I need a spacer to increase the rail height so my tonneau cover frame is level. I've seen several installations in parking lots but nobody around to ask. While I can use wood, I wonder what others have used to solve this problem. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
This might be a good place to use some plastic composite deck material. I don't know if it's offered in that size but you should be able to cut it down on a table saw fairly easily.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Look at the link below, It shows several different gasket materials for toppers , one of them may be appropriate.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Cap-Sea.../dp/B00BNGBXOC
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Might be able to take the spoiler off and use a flat cap from a standard model or earlier model truck.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Might be able to take the spoiler off and use a flat cap from a standard model or earlier model truck.
That's plan B. About $60 oem.. But I'd hate to lose the mileage improvement the spoiler provides.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Raz, if it's a straight change out fit, maybe someone with the other type would swap with you....so they can get the better MPGs and look cool .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Raz, if it's a straight change out fit, maybe someone with the other type would swap with you....so they can get the better MPGs and look cool .
Maybe they'll buy my bridge too. . Actually, next time I'm in Home Depot I'm going to check out SteveV's suggestion.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
That's plan B. About $60 oem.. But I'd hate to lose the mileage improvement the spoiler provides.
When you put on a tonneau cover you don't need the spoiler because the cover will provide more mileage improvement than that spoiler can. The spoiler will only provide a very minimal gain if any, not worth the trouble of keeping it. Spoiler becomes basically another thing that can get damaged when loading and unloading items from the back of the truck.

You have to remember that between the tonneau cover and hauling a trailer you will have no idea of what has happened to your airstream other than it has been majorly disrupted by the trailer. Which is why the concept of the spoiler saving you any gas is pretty much a shoulder shrug.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm quite sure he knows that, and the remark about mileage was sarcastic. He was rolling on the floor laughing!

The issue is if you remove it, you probably have to put something else in its place. On many newer models it's like Swiss cheese underneath, not clean, painted metal. The generic, stick-on caps people install to protect plain metal tailgates don't fit, either.

They call it "progress"...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote