True 12v Television - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchens View Post
I bought a Naxa. A true 12v television/dvd player. I was hesitent as I had not heard of the brand but have had it 4 years and it has worked great. Not sure if I bought it off of amazon or a trucking site. At the time Jenson also made at 12v.
I have seen the Naxa TV on ebay. I'll look closer.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:49 AM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Where can I find a true 12v TV. I had a great one for a number of years but ended up dropping it while unpacking my old trailer. I ordered one off of ebay that was supposed to be 12v but when it arrived it was 110v. The sender is trying to tell me it needs to be used with an invertor. PFFFFFT on that, I want a true 12v that will be economical to use when I'm on battery/solar power.
:steve run our two off of a 1000W inverter, as we also use have 2 batteries for the house and a 200W solar panel which keeps all our batteries charged. I can take them into the house and use them there if need be as we do not have a TV at home.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Take a look at a Pyle 18.5" & 20" or Insignia TVS. You can find models that run on 12v using a 110v "brick" converter. Accordingly, they can be run using a 12v cigarette plug.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYFI8UF..._8iCOBb101KGVX
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
Skyworth makes an excellent TV. I bought this one 12v/120V.
Skyworth LED 12 Volt TV DVD 19" (18.5") Digital Tuner

Have used it for almost a year. Never a problem. I run audio thru a small Sony speaker, audio cable hook up provided on TV.

Highly recommend!!!!!!!!
Mark
We have the same one now for four years. We purchased it at a Loves Truck Stop.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #25

Name: Stebe
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
I bought a 21" Samsung monitor earlier this summer for the Casita. It had a wall wart style input that I cut and connected to cigarette lighter style. It then runs directly off 12V. I don't use or have an inverter. It was really inexpensive; I can lookup the model if you are interested.
swhird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #26

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
So, I have a new to me Scamp 16 and I do want to buy a TV. Do I have to get a 12V TV? I currently only camp where there is electricity. Can I just get a regular tv?
TIA
Michwill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michwill01 View Post
So, I have a new to me Scamp 16 and I do want to buy a TV. Do I have to get a 12V TV? I currently only camp where there is electricity. Can I just get a regular tv?
TIA
Yes of course you can. The 12 VDC TVs are primary for running off the camper's battery when you are not on shore power, and you do not have, or do not wish to use an inverter. If you get a "regular" TV and want to use it while boondocking (not on shore power), then you might need an inverter also. If you get one that uses a 12 VDC output wall wart (transformer) then it usually (but not always) works fine on the battery without the wall wart. But make sure the wall wart output and TV requirements match the power supply.

If you have a 12 VDC TV like I do, you can leave the wall wart at home. I run mine on 12 volts either from the battery or the on-board converter if on shore power. I never use 120 VAC power for the TV.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #28

Name: J
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
Truck stops very good source 12 tv
J Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #29

Name: Gary
Trailer: Alto by Safari Condo
Illinois
Quote:
Where can I find a true 12v TV. I had a great one for a number of years but ended up dropping it while unpacking my old trailer. I ordered one off of ebay that was supposed to be 12v but when it arrived it was 110v. The sender is trying to tell me it needs to be used with an invertor. PFFFFFT on that, I want a true 12v that will be economical to use when I'm on battery/solar power.
They're all over the place. Search Amazon for "12 volt tv for rv."
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #30

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1978 refurbished Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Any large truck stop has a wide variety of 12V appliances, from Coolers and heaters, to fans and TVs.
Scott Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
If you plan to stream video look into an Amazon Fire stick. If you have Netflix you can download movies... and watch them when there is no WIFI. Makes any TV a smart TV.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #32

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
Wal-Mart!
Near the DVD players
Quote:
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #33

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Looking around
Pennsylvania
Hi All,
I wouldn't be cutting any power cords or even replacing them (bricks) with a straight car cord. Without taking the TV apart and examining each capacitor and so forth there's no telling what components the manufacturer used in the circuitry. If they supplied a transformer power supply the unit is likely designed for that voltage or a very minor deviation. For example; the power supply is rated at 12V. They likely used 16V capacitors instead of 25V or higher and because the supply will deliver 12V there is no need for higher voltage caps. Now you plug this TV straight into your lighter socket and crank the key.... voltage spikes much? So hopefully the manufacturer used some high quality components that can tolerate that type of abuse for long periods of time.

Or... Go with a TV that was designed to run from the lighter socket unregulated...

... amaxon... nope... Jeff Bezos (owner of little jungle shop) is the single wealthiest person in human record ... makes a deal with the post office to where the rest of the country can pick up the tab. Aside from that many of his workers qualify for and receive government assistance for living cost and food expense (welfare). Aside from all of that... shop there and you have no idea who you're buying from... I've seen other options mentioned here that are much more palatable.

Dan.
CoronalDischarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronalDischarge View Post

... amaxon... nope... Jeff Bezos (owner of little jungle shop) is the single wealthiest person in human record ... makes a deal with the post office to where the rest of the country can pick up the tab. Dan.

I can only guess that this suggestion of a PO conspiracy comes from the courier companies.
I don't know about the US postal service, but in Canada, Canada Post makes money by delivering parcels. They sure don't make money delivering letters with on-line billing and payments and on-line flyers.

So, if you really want to pay more taxes to support postal services, prevent the postal service from delivering parcels.

If you disagree, please send me a letter.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #35

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
If they supplied a transformer power supply the unit is likely designed for that voltage or a very minor deviation. For example; the power supply is rated at 12V. They likely used 16V capacitors instead of 25V or higher and because the supply will deliver 12V there is no need for higher voltage caps. Now you plug this TV straight into your lighter socket and crank the key.... voltage spikes much? So hopefully the manufacturer used some high quality components that can tolerate that type of abuse for long periods of time.

Or... Go with a TV that was designed to run from the lighter socket unregulated...

Ummm.... Sounds like work. This is not a critical application. My 10 inch, 120VAC, to 12VDC, brick powered, RCA, (not the best brand) TV has worked for a couple of years in the van. It has been left in there through two winters and it is not rated for those conditions either. I figure I got my $116 (cdn) worth.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #36

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
https://www.amazon.com/TVD1805-22-22...ess+22+inch+tv
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:09 AM   #37

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have converted countless TVs with 12vdc supplies to run on trailer power and never had a single issue with any of them.

If you have a 12vdc system in the trailer and it is filtered by a working battery in the trailer then there will just be no reason at all that it will not be OK to run from the trailer 12vdc.

You should see me at Sams Club looking behind all of the TVs early in the morning to see if they have 12vdc inputs!
THEY DON'T EVEN WATCH ME DO THIS ANY MORE AT THE STORE BY MY HOUSE!

Quote:
Hi All,
I wouldn't be cutting any power cords or even replacing them (bricks) with a straight car cord. Without taking the TV apart and examining each capacitor and so forth there's no telling what components the manufacturer used in the circuitry. If they supplied a transformer power supply the unit is likely designed for that voltage or a very minor deviation. For example; the power supply is rated at 12V. They likely used 16V capacitors instead of 25V or higher and because the supply will deliver 12V there is no need for higher voltage caps. Now you plug this TV straight into your lighter socket and crank the key.... voltage spikes much? So hopefully the manufacturer used some high quality components that can tolerate that type of abuse for long periods of time.

... amaxon... nope... Jeff Bezos (owner of little jungle shop) is the single wealthiest person in human record ... makes a deal with the post office to where the rest of the country can pick up the tab. Aside from that many of his workers qualify for and receive government assistance for living cost and food expense (welfare). Aside from all of that... shop there and you have no idea who you're buying from... I've seen other options mentioned here that are much more palatable.

Dan.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote