Trying To Make It Easier To Be Level - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2020, 03:11 AM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Trying To Make It Easier To Be Level

With the Scamp19 still on the truck and the hand crank cranked all the way up, I wanted to know how many hand crank rotations there are to get to all the way down. So that I could know and always start in the middle. Well after 400 rotations, I wasn't topped out, but I did give up.

My TV is high and one time aftre cranking it up 5 inches to clear the hitch, I didn't have enough "down" left in the crank gear, so I would like to find the middle of the leg gear travel.

Anyone know an easy way to do this?
thank you
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Contact Scamp, they should be able to tell you how much travel you have and the length of you inner legs.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I just use a stick (cut long enough to clear the ball) to target/measure my happy height..................

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #4

Name: Robert
Virginia
I have a question regarding where you said that you cranked up your Scamp 5" to clear the hitch and then did not have enough down left. Did you not have enough down left to level your Scamp or not enough down left to attach to the hitch?

If not enough down left to level the Scamp maybe you should not pin the feet all the way to the ground before cranking up.

If not enough down left to attach to your hitch maybe this could happen, if you used the same truck that you set up your Scamp with, is that you have done something to lower the height of your truck while unhitched. Or, something is wrong with your landing gear jack. The 400+ revolutions and not topping out sounds suspect. Good luck.
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:41 PM   #5

Name: Brett
Nevada
Robert,

First you need to know that I raised the trailer 4 inches and then lowered the stock truck 2 inches, but the trailer, when connected, is still not level.

1) While still connected to the truck (this is Scamp's version of a 5th wheeler) I drop the legs until they hit the ground
2) Then I make the legs longer (to clear the coupler from the ball),

3) Then I pull the truck out
4) Lowering the legs until level.

Unfortunately I did not have enough 'lower' to level the trailer.

If I had started with the landing gear in what would be the middle of it's up & down capacity, then I could be sure that I would have enough 'leg travel' room to level it, even if it was 6 inches or more
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:30 AM   #6

Name: Robert
Virginia
Okay. I would start with the landing gear fully retracted up. The I would not pull the pins & drop the feet to the ground and just use the crank to raise the trailer off of the hitch. My guess is that the landing gear has 18"-21"of gear travel. When on level ground and you have raised your trailer to clear the ball how many inches down do you need to level the trailer? Once you know this you can start from there whether it is the middle or not of the movement. The ground not being level front to back changes all of this. If you park the Scamp with the tires on blocks you would reduce the amount you need to crank down the front.
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #7

Name: Jim
Minnesota
Registry
i had the same issue I use a small piece of 2x6 on edge to space my legs 5-1/2" off the ground when dropping them down to pin them so once the hitch clears ball I still have enough down travel to level
fishinjimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #8

Name: George
Michigan
Your issue is not with your landing gear but the height of the ball in your TV. When hooked up your 5th Wheel Scamp should be close to level. My 5th wheel Scamp has 5" of lift and I tow with a full size Chevy 1500. When we are hooked up my Scamp is very close to level so that we can use it for short stays without unhooking. I found my optimum ball height by parking my Scamp and TV on a level paved surface. Then I measured from the ground to the bottom of my rear fender at the center of the axel. Next I raised the Scamp until all tongue weight was off the TV then measured again from ground to fender, the same spot that I measured the first time. This difference gave me the measurement of spring compression do to the tongue weight. Next I leveled the Scamp and measured from ground to the top of the inside of the ball hitch. Then add this measurement to the spring compression measurement and I had the height of the top of ball from level ground for my TV at rest. Once your ball in the TV is to the correct height you only need to crank up to clear the ball then drop back down to the point of level, approximately 3" both ways.
George n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #9

Name: Tony
Trailer: 2015 19 Scamp DLX
British Columbia
Got a laugh out of this post I just bought a S-19 and thought the landing gear was screwed up rotation seems backwards in my opinion and I cranked like crazy before it was obvious that it was moving.
I believe 400 cranks top to bottom! One of my first mods will be to put a motor on that Landing Gear. But first I am going to built an adjustable, removable gooseneck hitch like a commercial trailer and a 2 5/16" Ball setup...
Will post pics when I am done...
Seacap10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
It seems many of us use a drill with a 3/4" "RV" socket to run the jacks up and down. Much much easier and quicker.