TV in the Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
True, but you need to power the converter box. Not a problem when you have shore power. And then there's the small problem of finding the space for the converter.
When not on shorepower, I use a tru-sine inverter to power my sharp flatscreen tv, dvd player,converter box and antenna booster... altogether they consume so little battery that I don't give it a second thought. In fact I'm not sure that the inverter's fan and line loss aren't half the power consumption.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #22

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I paid $79.99 for a 15" LCD TV that came with 12V and 120V cords ( not much more than the cost of a digital/analogue converter and a 12V cord ).

But, if you don't want to do that; why not enlarge one of your favorite photographs and paste it to the screen?

Thanks Glenn, best idea yet. But I'm curious, what TV did you get?

And by the way, Happy Holidays, Everybody!

-cg
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Bought a 13" Seiki 16:9 LED, 1360 pixel x 768 pixel, and runs on AC and DC cords. Comes with an HDMI cable and a remote and cost $79.99 at London Drugs. ( plus $20 environment fee and taxes here in BC ).
Picture and sound are better than the Insignia that the kid took to university.
I have an equally cheap 7" DVD player that I can plug into the TV for movies, but I'm sure a combo unit isn't that much more money.

It's out in the trailer so I'll have to drag it out from under the bed to see if it is 13" or 15".
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #24

Washington
[QUOTE=
It's out in the trailer so I'll have to drag it out from under the bed to see if it is 13" or 15".[/QUOTE]

No worries, Glenn, that's good enough. Thanks for your help!

-cg
Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #25

Washington
Would it be possible to keep the TV I have, and just replace the Winegard antenna with one that does the necessary analog to digital conversion? That might be a dumb question, but I'm totally at sea with this TV stuff.

Thanks!

-c
Old 01-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #26

The antenna receives radio/TV waves. It doesn't care if they are analogue or digital.
So, you can keep your antenna, but you either need a converter to change the signal from digital to analogue before it enters the old analogue TV, or you need a digital TV.
Given advances in televisions, I would buy a new TV rather than buying the converter, taking up space and adding wires. Not sure, but the converter probably needs a power source as does the TV.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
Would it be possible to keep the TV I have, and just replace the Winegard antenna with one that does the necessary analog to digital conversion? That might be a dumb question, but I'm totally at sea with this TV stuff.

Thanks!

-c
To clarify your question: you don't want to convert from analogue to digital. You would need an antenna to convert digital to analogue, and I doubt there is any market for such a device.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't know of any antenna that does that (that doesn't mean it doesn't exist), what you might be able to use with your current antenna is a converter box. Amazon.com: Zinwell ZAT-970A Digital to Analog TV Converter Box (for Antenna Use): Electronics

But I agree with Glenn. Small flat-screen TVs are really inexpensive and a much lighter weight now than ever before. By time you buy everything you need to use what you currently have, you'd be money ahead to just replace the TV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We bought a new Digital 22" flat screen TV with a built in DVD player for $158.00 . Sometimes it pays to give in and upgrade
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp