TV mounted - vibration - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #21

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
One thing I think is useful is to refrain from opinions on why you don't want / need to ... yada etc.

I don't watch tv, at all.

I am a database analyst / programmer and it is a daily occurrence that I am remoting into a computer across the world from me. I use my screen as a computer terminal. Under normal circumstances I sit at a table with the 24" screen 2 feet from my face. In that case the tiny fonts for a computer are legible. Now put that 24" on the wall 4 feet away as I sit at the table and suddenly that 24" TV is not so useful.

Simple physics dictate that as the distance increases, the size has to get bigger to maintain the same ratio.

For ME, a 19 "TV" is as useless as... (interject your favorite phrase here). So I really do have to discover the issues with dealing with a larger screen.

Thanks folks, your issues with dealing with large screens is what I need to discover.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Has anyone permanently mounted a smallish TV, perhaps 32-37 inch in the rv then towed it while it is mounted? I am wondering about the vibrations killing the display.

Any experience here?
This works fine. been in position for 9 years.
It does have a firm locking mount, which swings 180 degrees....

Of course it really is a "smallish" TV in a "smallish" travel trailer.( about right maybe?)
32"-37" would be a rather a "huge-ish" TV for a Scamp!
Attached Thumbnails
Pic015.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
One thing I think is useful is to refrain from opinions on why you don't want / need to ... yada etc.

I don't watch tv, at all.

I am a database analyst / programmer and it is a daily occurrence that I am remoting into a computer across the world from me. I use my screen as a computer terminal. Under normal circumstances I sit at a table with the 24" screen 2 feet from my face. In that case the tiny fonts for a computer are legible. Now put that 24" on the wall 4 feet away as I sit at the table and suddenly that 24" TV is not so useful.

Simple physics dictate that as the distance increases, the size has to get bigger to maintain the same ratio.

For ME, a 19 "TV" is as useless as... (interject your favorite phrase here). So I really do have to discover the issues with dealing with a larger screen.

Thanks folks, your issues with dealing with large screens is what I need to discover.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your original post asked about mounting a "Smallish TV" not what in anyones eyes is an oversize computer monitor. As I don't think that I have ever seen that large a tv/monitor in any FGRV, help might be slow in arriving. And, if you feel a need to tell us that you don't appreciate answers that are guesses as to what you really mean in your posts, it might get even slower.....

BTW: Thank You for the lesson in simple physics, I am sure that no one else could have even guessed that nugget, especially simple ol' me, what with only an 18th grade education.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #24

Alabama
My original post said:

"Has anyone permanently mounted a smallish TV, perhaps 32-37 inch in the rv then towed it while it is mounted?"

I just see a LOT of posts on a LOT of subjects where the OP asks a question only to be informed that XYZ having nothing whatsoever to do with his question.

I do appreciate that other posters "hijack" threads and have their own unique POV but still.

I asked about a specific size range - 32 to 37 inches is small today. I had to go to the very end of the line in Sams club to even find a 32" tv.

I understand that TVs are made smaller, I just can't use nor do I care about such models, nor how they fare. Look back through this thread and count how many of them answered my question? So I come ask a question and have to wade through how much stuff only to find nothing that even comes close to helping me.

I asked a similar question about fiberglass propane tanks and got a TON of "well steel is really better because..." responses. All about how you can swap out steel tanks, and how they got one that leaked, how deal with rusting tanks and yada yada.

Ya know what, that may be true for those posters but that isn't what I asked. That thread is now umpteen pages long and way off in the weeds, having nothing to do with fiberglass propane tanks. I have unsubscribed from the thread because it is useless to me.

This one threatens to be a repeat.

Dealing with a "small" tv in excess of 32" is a very specific requirement. THAT is what I need information on, not about every little mounting for the really cool 16 all in one someone found at XYZ box store.

just sayin...

I did get some responses discussing the stress of that size TV on the fiberglass wall, and mounting strategies to deal with such. THAT is a great response and much appreciated.

I'm NOT trying to be rude, but I need information about specific issues. It is very true that this size of TV is going to be rare, making it all the more likely for useful responses to get lost in the noise of the useless (to me) stuff.

From all of the responses for smaller TVs, I think this is a great place to split the thread and have a thread just about "how to mount a (truly) small tv".

Thanks,

PS, I really love FGRV.com and have spent countless hours reading all kinds of really great stuff here. This is a great community! I am new to FGRVs, in fact I am just about to go pick up mine, purchased a month ago and waiting for me 800 miles away.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
John,
You asked a question as a new owner attempting something that we as experienced owners have already tried and may have failed, that is why we are recommending something else. If you are adamant on the 32-37" size, then you may be the trailblazer and please post pictures of your install, perhaps others may follow.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #26

Alabama
I will be doing that! The response "where will you mount it" caused me to think!

Unfortunately unless I set up on the table like I do at the house, figuring it out is a must. And the cables and stuff to "set it up" are a PITA so I intend to figure it out.

I intend to live in the TT making it even more necessary to get it dealt with. I live in my computer, so setting it up every time I want to use it simply won't work. It needs to be mounted and wired in, probably with a wireless keyboard / mouse and the notebook permanently mounted in a cupboard close to the TV.

We shall see.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #27

Pennsylvania
Registry
There is a member here, named Adrian who mounted a fairly large computer/tv screen inside his Casita, posted under modifications, Im trying to find the pictures.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #28

Pennsylvania
Registry
found it http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...old-55563.html

another one with pictures http://www.blog.gonebush.net/2011/04...io-pc-mod.html
please note this is a 22" screen
Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
My original post said:

"Has anyone permanently mounted a smallish TV, perhaps 32-37 inch in the rv then towed it while it is mounted?"

I just see a LOT of posts on a LOT of subjects where the OP asks a question only to be informed that XYZ having nothing whatsoever to do with his question.

PS, I really love FGRV.com and have spent countless hours reading all kinds of really great stuff here. This is a great community! I am new to FGRVs, in fact I am just about to go pick up mine, purchased a month ago and waiting for me 800 miles away.
I would advise you to talk to Ed Harris on this subject,but I would think that there would be very little difference in the effects of bumps and vibration within the size range of televisions which will fit inside a Scamp, as long as the mount is designed stable and strong enough to handle the load.
My 9 YO Sharp is likely heavier than some newer LED backlit models nearing twice it's size.
Still I felt it necessary to design my own mount and reinforce the wall to which it was mounted.
That may or may not be seen by you as useful information, but it was certainly NOT intended to annoy you!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Forget the TV and get a dog.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #31

Pennsylvania
Registry
let's not start in that direction again
Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #32

Alabama
ROTFL. Not annoyed, and I'd love a puppy!

However like I said, it's not a TV, or at least not used as one.

I went on a business trip to Oregon. I made the Oregon gathering BTW! Cool stuff.

I was there for 3 weeks and never turned the TV on in my hotel room! Just not a TV kinda guy.

I built a media server for the wife and kids. Ripped 500+ movies to hard disk (many of them Blues Clues and the like), 250 CDs to MP3s to disk, photos, home video. Quite cool, all stored on an UnRaid server.

My son and wife stored entire seasons of various TV shows on disk.

I will sit down to watch a movie with my son, but other than that, I am not interested. The family OTOH are glued to the thing.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #33

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Has anyone permanently mounted a smallish TV, perhaps 32-37 inch in the rv then towed it while it is mounted? I am wondering about the vibrations killing the display.

Any experience here?
I can only speak to part of your question so I hope you find a speck of useable information. I think the pertinent analogy would be related to the TV/monitor's weight? Or to the ruggedness of the guts of said unit?

Mine is a Toshiba 13" combo TV/VCR with a CRT display that plays VHS tapes. I installed a "ceiling mount" rack to the bottom of the "Child's Upper Bunk" to hold the unit in July 2006, and it's been there ever since. I added an RCA Digital Tuner when broadcast switched from analog to digital, but there have been no problems at all for 7 years.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0261.jpg   000_0266.jpg  

Old 08-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #34

Alabama
Thanks Fredrick. I am looking for vibration issues for sure. One of my concerns is the vibration in an LCD TV, really of any size, plus the mounting issues of a large TV.

I have been in electronics my whole life. Connectors are always an issue for vibration. But in the typical LCD the little florescent tubes they use for edge lighting could be an issue as well. Nowadays those are going away being replaced with LEDs of various configurations. That seems perhaps a win, though it also comes back to connectors. I know they are trying to get tricky with turning those on and off so perhaps more connections than the tube type. That is pure conjecture however.

It does seem to me that as anything gets larger the vibrations move down in frequency so larger TVs would vibrate slower, probably reducing the effects on the things inside.

In the end real world experience says more than conjecture. I figured with "boys and their toys" someone (guy) would have tried to mount a 55" TV across the entire back of the rig!

One of my problems is that I really need a high resolution display, and all the small TVs tend to be 720p. For my purposes (having nothing to do with TV watching display quality) the more pixels the better. I looked at the 32" at Sams and didn't see a single one that wasn't 720P.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #35

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Kind of tough to be helpful at this point as my heart is not as in it as before but here goes.

In the context of our tiny trailers a 32" TV is just silly in general.
So looking back at your initial post here I thought you were being sarcastic!
I do want to know where you think a TV that size can go in a 16' Scamp?

Since you are in such command of personal space while working and know that you can work with a 24" monitor 2' from your face simple physics seems to dictate placing a 24" monitor 2' from your face in a 16' Scamp and calling it a day!

A lot of us have done this and have been sharing the experience so you can see just how.

Since you have yet to travel in your 13' space maybe it would be helpful to wait until you do and then decide if you still find a set that large is merited.

Then maybe share with us exactly which monitor you are looking to mount and look for specific help as that seems to be your need.

I am also sure you know that the bigger the set the higher the native resolution is required if you are going to get more actual information on the screen. Most sets over 24" seem to have the same or lower resolution as a computer monitor than the smaller sets and this yields a much blockier looking pixel density and the spacing makes the output less clear not more.

I have a hard time explaining to customers that it is not a given that the bigger screens will look that great as a computer monitor.
I suggest a Mac for those who need the extra size and will use it a short distance as their font scaling and smoothing make watching at bigger sizes easier in general.

I have a Mac Mini mounted in my Casita and run the output to multiple monitors in there to do exactly what you describe. I have big drives filled with content as it can be hard to receive broadcast TV while camping.

I also Remote in on VPN connections while camping to service systems and need to be able to monitor many different resolutions at the other end and this is often hard to do with too high resolution a monitor which is why I carry a few options for them.

If you do remain determined to go huge in an Egg then as I suggested earlier as long as the mount to the TV is sound and the set can ride with the trailers vibration I think it will be fine.
Again I need to know where you think it can fit before being more specific about any details of a mount?

I might also build the set into a slim enclosure that can be set down on the counter or table or even hung from above while parked but then be stowed safely while in transit,this way you can protect the display while still having quick setup if the cabling is right.

Peerless and Chief and Bretford,etc. all make shock absorbing mounting hardware but mostly it is for much bigger displays and for an environment subject to predictable vibration or seismic activity.

But most of all,if you intend to come in here and ask for help and choose not to be as specific as possible with an out of the ordinary issue you certainly have no room to be nasty about things if you don't get "Focused" enough answers from us.

If you had explained from the start the exact nature of your question so that we could understand the unusual specifics that you went to such length to spring on us later I am sure this would have turned out differently.

Hope this is helpful?
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #36

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
I work for a a/v rental company, we have tons of lcd tv and tons of consumer or proffessionnal auido and video equipment...we ship them from offices to offices in all over the world daily to serve our clients......shipping could theorically cause vibration problems but it does not very often..yes it happens but it will happen with equipement composed of cards that snaps into main boards(like computers) otherwise its not a really problem.

I have open up quite afew of the smaller tv units and really there just nothing inside of them. One main board, connection pannel(mostof the time intergrated to the main board) , the buttons conneted by a flat cable most of the time the connetor is a lockable one so no problem there.and the speakers... The light tube is usually glued there and will not move.... You have to see the small tv's has on block with no servicable parts so usually there not much to get loose into them.

For the rare items that causes us connection problems(not tv from exeperience)
Usually a dab of hot glue by the connector solves it completely...but i'm telling you its for the smaller stuff that gets "trown" in road cases....the bigger stuff does not require it.

I would not be worried about vibration in a trailer, its more of a waving mvement than real vibration... I would be more carefull with the strenght of where you are attaching the tv.
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #37

Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe Jansen rv electronics are made for marine and rv environment with wax on components to protect against rust.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #38

Alabama
Thanks for that. I haven't been inside of a modern TV. How about the LED backlights? Pretty much the same?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #39

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Thanks for that. I haven't been inside of a modern TV. How about the LED backlights? Pretty much the same?
In theory led backlit would be "sturdier" but really, anything of smaller size are made in one piece and will most likelynsurvive trailer abuse...like a previous post said, since you want to do the hardrive setup, a good computer monitor is cheap and will give you better image than any tv of similar size...
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #40

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
John,

Glad to understand the real issue. In our motor home there was a large CRT TV, in the 30" range that was there for about 10 years and over 100,000 road miles all over the continent. It saw considerable vibration with out a single issue and could be seen to move while driving.

I feel these older, heavier CRT TVs would be more vulnerable than any of the LCD TVs.

Our digital LCD TVs have worked very well and with a litle reinforcement your's should mount satisfactorily. We do lie ours face down in a mildly captured position on our side dinette using the back cushion to prevent it from sliding onto the floor. We then place a pillow on top. It has never moved in during our travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote