TV mounted - vibration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
TV mounted - vibration

Has anyone permanently mounted a smallish TV, perhaps 32-37 inch in the rv then towed it while it is mounted? I am wondering about the vibrations killing the display.

Any experience here?
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I would be more worried about killing what you attached it to...

I've contemplated putting a 19" in, and not sure what I would mount it to. The shower wall would be the best, but it's not strong enough.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I'm happy you posted that question because I'm about to mount a 19 in our Boler. My concern is also the vibration,,,,actually I guess the bouncing I don't think there would be that much vibration.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have mounted a couple of 22" TV's from Costco using mounts from BJ's. I use an oak 1x3 board mounted to the wall that extends from the roof to the floor or counter top to carry the weight. Then I bolt the TV mount through the wall panel and oak board. I attach a nylon snap strap above the TV to the oak board to carry the weight and prevent the TV from moving around during transit.
The TV mount also allows you to remove the TV from the mount and store separately if you desire. I just have not had any issues with the TV as long as the strap is used to secure it during transit. Also Costco TV's carry an extended warranty and you can pay for a 3 year replacement plan which is not too expensive for a smaller TV.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Never tried that large of a TV. We have a 19" and take it down every time we move the trailer. I was more worried about ripping the wall out where it's attached when we're moving!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
IMHO a 19" tv is certainly adequate in our small home on the road. Moving up to larger units will make it look out of balance or proportion. That plus the added weight whle traveling down the road. I find the smaller LED/12v tv's are light enough that they will not crack the fiberglass thru stress.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've carried a LCD TV for about 10 years. We use a simple hook to hang ours from the rear overhead. The hook allows us to drop the TV to the rear dinette for travel in literally 5 seconds. We than drop a bed pillow on it.

I agree with Jim, In the small space of our trailer 19-22" is plenty of TV.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Here is a picture. In this case the strap needs to be mounted just a little higher. The oak board is attached to the wall in four places and the bottom rests on the counter.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
100_3994.jpg   100_3995.jpg  

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have mounted and seen a whole lot of TVs in our rigs but I would say a 32" is about 4 times bigger than a small one for us?

Where exactly can you picture that a 32" or so will fit in an Egg?
I did a 24" in one and it was about as big as I could fit without blocking something else.
19" to 22" seems about the sweet spot for size from my experience and trust me,if I could get bigger in there I would!

I don't see any issues with vibration as long as the mount is solid and the TV vibrates with the trailer and not on its own.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #10

Florida
Reinforcing walls for loads.

We have used a technique similar to Eddie's to hang a large closet off the bathroom wall over the end of the Scamp's couch.

We have two 1x3's that go from floor to ceiling inside the bathroom that spread the load of the cabinet over the bathroom wall and carry it to the floor. No ill effects in three years of travel. No apparent stress cracks in the fiberglass.

The first picture shows the cantilevered cabinet hanging off the bathroom wall. There is no other support beyond the bathroom wall. The cabinet is used for storing sweaters and jerseys.

The second picture shows one of the 1x3's used to distribute the load. The other is hidden behind the door jamb, On the bathroom side the 1x3s have a small shelf and grab handle attached to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Controller with output.jpg   Bathroom Storage.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When I purchased my Casita I did not buy the factory TV . Casita wanted about $350 for the option and I was able to purchase a 24" TV with a DVD for less than half the cost .(Size of TV was based on the availability of a TV with a DVD player and available space) I mounted mine to the upper cabinet above the bed (Same location as factory install using the Casita supplied TV mounting bracket). Casita said they had glassed in wood backing to support the TV but it appeared to be nothing more than a small ,thin piece of OSB .I was not satisfied with their idea of backing so I installed 1/2 plywood covering about a 12" x 16" area as a backer board to prevent damaging the upper cabinet . According to Casita there is no reason to remove the TV during travel , the cabinet was designed to carry a TV weighing up to 10 Lbs. plus the factory supplied bracket is not designed for easy removal of the TV. Threads like this one make me question the wisdom of traveling with the TV suspended off the upper cabinet . My concern is damaging the fiberglass cabinet more than the TV . Replacing the TV would be an expense but less costly and time consuming than replacing the upper , wrap around fiberglass cabinet
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The articulated arm mount shown by Eddie is very versatile. The quick dismount dovetail bracket allows the TV to be easily taken down and stuck under a cushion or mattress without removing power cord or coax connection. Our 19" is mounted on the after side of the closet adjacent the rear dinette which is made up as a bed all the time. The arm allows us to watch in bed, to swing the TV to face upper locker out of the way, and to swing it into the aisle for viewing from front dinette. We always take it down and stow between cushions and memory foam at departure check. I also bolted the bracket thru a sheet aluminum backer plate in the closet to spread the load and avoid flex in the fiberglass closet wall.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #13

Florida
TV Mount

Our overhead cabinet supports the TV.

The bottom of the cabinet is 1/4 inch plywood. To reduce the load on the plywood I glued a short piece of 1x2 to the top side of the plywood inside the cabinet.

I have a brass boat clip, $1, that hangs from the bottom of the cabinet. We actually have two of these allowing two locations for the TV though we always seem to leave it at the end of the bed. We have a small bungee cord that can connect to the bottom of the TV that allows us to bias the TV's angle. Simple, light and inexpensive.

The reality is the TVs are light. Picture is of our 15" TV, now replaced with 19" because we no longer could read the scores on the 15"
Attached Thumbnails
TV Mount.jpg   TV Mounted.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm a "smallish" 32-37" flat screen in an FGRV sounds like one also likes to sit in the front row at the local IMAX theatre.

That said, I would be more concerned about that big a set killing the mount and/or the wall to which it is attached than damage to the screen itself. If it is essential to have one of that size and weight, I would suggest making it demountable so it could be stored on the bed or elsewhere when under way.

The 19" and 24" flat screens we have in our three trailers are all on removable mounts and never travel in place.

On top of that, some screens don't seem to like extended exposure to the temps sometimes found inside RV's when stored in the summer. I had one screen fail after being stored in the trailer during extended hot spell, so we now remove the sets from the trailers and store them in the house, at least during hot periods.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita
24"

My 24" TV has 2 years on it in this position.
Attached Thumbnails
24TV.JPG  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #16

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Hey Eddie Longest or rabbit where do you get those TV mounts?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I traded a very nice lap steel and amp for reasonable money and this TV mount. I have seen this particular model from an internet distributor but cannot find. if Eddie recalls, neither of us will have to spend the time searching.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #18

I have bought almost all of the TV mounts I have needed, both for home and RV use, for the past 5 years from:

www.mycablemart.com

They have a huge selection, good prices and excellent customer service.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #19

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
We have a 19" from Wal-Mart Black Friday sale and a mount from BJ's. The bolt for the awning is in the right place to attache a strap to keep tv against the wall during driving. The mount allows us to watch it in bed or swing it around to watch it from the dinette.

The reading I did on why 12v sets cost more indicated the electronics inside the tv are susceptible to vibration and moisture. I would worry more about the tv failing from vibration or climate extremes inside the egg. And knowing my luck, if I put the set on the bed for travel, I would find it on the floor when we got to our destination.

Decent prep on mounting and not going too big I think are key points that seem to keep coming up.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #20

No matter what the input voltage, most TV's run at between 3 and 18 volts on the circuit cards. Who ever came up with that claim for why they might cost more probably grabs the wrong end of a soldering iron at least twice a day.

12VDC (only) sets cost more simply because they are built in limited numbers and they are never on sale.

However, there are several 120VAC Sets that use a 250-100VAC to 12VDC volt universal power supply (aka Power Brick) and they work fine on 12 VDC.

There are certain Vizeo and Haire(?) models so equipped, but they can be hard to find. Look at the pics on line, if they don't have an attached cord and have the power supply brickin the cord, they MAY be 12 VDC. Check the specs for the power supply itself to find out.....