TV when on the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #1

Name: Harry
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
TV when on the road

Just bought a 24" TV for my Parkliner. Considering all the "shake, rattle & roll" going on pulling it down the road, what do most of you do with the TV? Leave it mounted to a wall, or take it down and stow it?
hp in va
hp in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp in va View Post
Just bought a 24" TV for my Parkliner. Considering all the "shake, rattle & roll" going on pulling it down the road, what do most of you do with the TV? Leave it mounted to a wall, or take it down and stow it?
hp in va
The best thing I know of to do with television set is leave it at home
Old 12-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We either lay it on the bed with pillows around it, or it goes back in it's box and rides in the back seat of the tow vehicle.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #4

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
I placed mine in the counter.
Here is the link . Pop up tv

https://www.facebook.com/rroadley/vi...1313012757286/
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Custom, secure wall mount, made from an old Bang&Olufsen speaker frame and a piano hinge. It has a full height locking rod. It is the safest place in the trailer for it. The 13" TV shown is pre-digital and has since been replaced by a 19" digital with the modern aspect ratio which fit without modification.
The piano hinge lets the mount swing about a 170° which allows for viewing from anywhere in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic015.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaross View Post
I placed mine in the counter.
Here is the link . Pop up tv

https://www.facebook.com/rroadley/vi...1313012757286/

WAY COOL!
Old 12-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Like!
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have a Casita SD. I just leave it on the mount and secure it with a bungie cord to keep it from wobbling. Works well.

But...we have a very hard time finding anyplace where the signal can be rec'd because we like to set up in the outback: Wife likes to get the news channels. We sometimes watch DVD's and such.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I mounted mine on a bracket the flips up to the flat position when not needed. It is completely out of the way and gives full access to the window. I has a catch to hold it, but I ran a line under it to make sure it stayed up and didn't shake while driving. This takes up no wall space and pretty much disappears when up, but is visible from anywhere in the trailer when down.
Attached Thumbnails
0.jpg  
Old 12-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Just bought a 15.5in for my new Scamp 13 and mounted the bracket on the ceiling cabinet net to the sink area where the cable and ext. antenna connections are installed on a single wall plate. Once we set out this winter it will stay mounted to its wall bracket as we travel. The bracket has the provision to tighten down the TV in any position.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
+1

rotfl.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
California
For my Escape 19 I used a MorRyde Articulating Locking Wall Mount TVI-006 rated at 50 lbs. You can also use TVI-021 rated at 35 lbs., both mounts are the same size, the metal on the TVI-006 is thicker.

I had to take out the refrigerator and put a piece of 3/4" plywood in the wall.

I can watch TV in the bed or turn it towards the table and watch TV from there.

It locks in place and is very stable, I have driven around 3500 miles since install and haven't had any problems.

Good luck
Randyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #13

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:

But then we would not have been able to share the wonderful "Muscle Shoals" documentary, or catch a local TV news broadcast while having breakfast on the other side of the country. I like having a TV. We are not forced to watch it instead of enjoying a hike, a campfire, a bike ride, a visit with neighbors or stargazing. Gasp!, I even play with the computer or listen to the radio sometimes!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:23 PM   #14

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp in va View Post
hp in va
In the Casita we put it in a plastic box and put it on the bed with stuff around it so it doesn't fall off. The only reason is because we haven't figured out how to permanently mount it above the bed. We did use industrial strength Velcro to mount our DVD player over the bed and it stays there. Now on this site I've seen how to mount the TV above the bed and I'll be doing that. In our motorhome we have the TV mounted permanently on a swing out mounting bracket and it has been there for years with no problems. We do make sure to lock the bracket in place when we travel. Only use it to watch special programs and news. If we don't have TV we don't get bothered by it. After all we are traveling and camping.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
But then we would not have been able to share the wonderful "Muscle Shoals" documentary, or catch a local TV news broadcast while having breakfast on the other side of the country. I like having a TV. We are not forced to watch it instead of enjoying a hike, a campfire, a bike ride, a visit with neighbors or stargazing. Gasp!, I even play with the computer or listen to the radio sometimes!
John.....congratulations. It seems you have finally realized that you have failed miserably in conforming to the values of the self-proclaimed ultimate authorities haunting this forum who seemingly believe that everyone should espouse their opinions and/or their approach to RVing. You’ve got to love the “moral superiority” implied in snide responses to simple questions such as “what is the best way to transport a TV?” But at least you can take comfort in your knowledge that you are clueless as to what activities you should be doing (or not doing) to fully enjoy your time on the road! I, too, must be doing it all wrong because I have both a TV and a computer in the trailer and (gasp) I often camp where there are electrical hookups, showers, and flush toilets.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
You tend to use your trailer as a camper, some of the others use their's as "travel trailers"... Would you expect a television in a motel room?
It seems televisions all come equipped with "OFF" switches anyway for those times when viewing is not desired. The OP's question seems to be predicated on the desire to have television while traveling.
Do you have a Radio in your tow vehicle?

Still...
It IS getting to the point where everybody has a Smartphone and data with WIFI... Those folks, like you, might have little use for a television, or even notice if it was on in front of them!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
John.....congratulations. It seems you have finally realized that you have failed miserably in conforming to the values of the self-proclaimed ultimate authorities haunting this forum who seemingly believe that everyone should espouse their opinions and/or their approach to RVing. You’ve got to love the “moral superiority” implied in snide responses to simple questions such as “what is the best way to transport a TV?” But at least you can take comfort in your knowledge that you are clueless as to what activities you should be doing (or not doing) to fully enjoy your time on the road! I, too, must be doing it all wrong because I have both a TV and a computer in the trailer and (gasp) I often camp where there are electrical hookups, showers, and flush toilets.

Exactly!

If I am camping in one of many scenic wonderlands then I care not a flip about having television.

But if I am living in a trailer, maybe in a large city while visiting family, and / or waiting out a multi-day rain event, then my tele is a welcome diversion.

But in any case, I am darn sick and tired of having people tell me how to live my life.

Its not a single comment but the constant expression that there is something inherently wrong in my choice. And I am not even then person who asked the original question. Imagine how he feels.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #18

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
TV

Ours is in the Casita factory mount from under the overhead cabinets, rear passenger side corner. RARELY USE IT BUT DO CARRY A FEW DVDS.. for viewing in real bad weather or if SHTF somwewhere.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:44 AM   #19

Smith Valley, Nevada
One of my favorite places on the planet is Death Valley. A beautiful hot springs with hot clear water coming right out of the ground. A fairytale looking desert oasis with warm pools, palm trees and a view of the desert that is captivating. Wild burrows wander by looking for a cookie and wild coyotes sing in the night. Miles and hours from any paved highway. There, we are camping and enjoying nature. There is no place like it that I know of. The television is just along for the ride and doesn't work.
We'll be here for a week or so. This time we didn't bring our coyote, but the burrows fill our need for wild animal interaction and I scratch their noses and offer a treat or two.

Next, a night spent at a crossroads near the Nevada/Arizona border in a parking lot next to the highway. Semi-trucks idling all around. Intersection lights. It's just a place to catch our breath before marching on in the morning. But a town nearby offers a Starbucks inside the Supermarket and we stop for a cup as the sun brightens and the temp creeps up. TV? What TV, I'm tired and want some sleep.

Then New Mexico presents itself for hours. We notice the condition of the highway as it seems much worse than the surrounding states. That evening we find a rest stop. A mile long "picnic area", way out in the open and next to a train track. Freight trains come by acting like they have something to do a couple times an hour. Love it. The silent vastness of the Southwest and trains on their way to somewhere. I walk around looking at the open sky as Gogo, our 15 lb female terrier, and I ponder the wild west.

Then we are in Texas. A small one lane road turns off the highway and leads to a "picnic area" as we head to Big Bend. We are alone on a mountain top, in the middle of a violent lightening storm, and miles from anywhere. When the storm passes we venture out. A beautiful place and we marvel at the natural beauty. Hey! We have wifi! Impossible, but yes we do. A few emails are sent.

Later, as we burn through the miles and evening approaches, an Arkansas rest stop beckons. It is so nice we stop for the night and the next day too. Is this a state park? No, just a rest stop. And we have TV reception! I feel no guilt in watching a bit of news and weather as we stop 1500 miles from home and laugh about how nice it is here. We are not here to prove anything, or adhere to an old back-packing regimen. We are on a trip East and this is a nice break. I wonder if we could stay for a couple more days, but we should press on. I click the TV on and break out an old DVD before drifting off. Very little guilt is felt about not doing something other than relaxing for the evening and shaking off the highway.

Such are the events and days while traveling. It goes on like this for a month or more. Quiet times alone. Peaceful camping. And busy times getting more miles behind us.

Sometimes we are way off the beaten path. Sometimes we are in town and tired. Sometimes we are distracted by natural beauty. And sometimes we watch TV. It might be an update on the tumultuous news, a weather prediction, or a distraction to put me to sleep. Whatever the situation, I am impressed that I can travel around and have a window on the world right here in my little mobile cabin. Sometimes I want nothing more than to be left alone in the vast west, and sometimes I want to check in and see what's up.

The TV is part of the gear and I'm glad it's here.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Leave it at home!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote