Twin beds- how wide? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Twin beds- how wide?

I am considering building an L-shaped bed setup with 2 twins (that can be made into a double bed with an extension) as part of the rebuild of my trailer. I am interested in hearing from those who have twin beds about the width of theirs and the comfort. I have to assume that they are not quite as comfortable as a 45-54" bed but I think I would prefer a more flexible layout.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The Casita Independence is 30" wide x 80" long, sheets are available on line. Half as wide as a home queen mattress.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #3

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
I rigged a custom bed in the cab over of my 08 Navion class C using 24" cushions I had from a previous application. The width seemed adequate for my 6'3" 210 lb body as I primarily slept on my back and didn't roll around a lot. That was good since it was about 5' to the floor. My current project is building a camper in a Promaster Van using 80" long twin beds in the rear. Due to various factors one will be 28" wide and the other 26" (with fill in cushions for potential use as a full width bed).

I think acceptable bed width is kind of a personal thing so it is a good idea for you to try sleeping on a bed the width you plan to install (on the same cushions if possible). Some people say that having an adjacent wall on one side of the bed makes it easier to sleep 'narrow' since your body can kind of lean against it. In my camper I plan to have the adjacent walls covered with carpet.
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Standard household twin is 39". Casita Liberty is 30". Casita Spirit side dinette is 24".

I would not go less than 30". 24" is not comfortable for an adult.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
When we redid the two gaucho beds in our amerigo, we cut the front bed/settee from 40" extended, down to 28." 8] It is a good depth for a little daybed with a foam bolster at the back, and Paul sleeps fine on it at night as he is a sound, quiet sleeper. =^} The back bed used to use the typical table/two bench arrangement and would make into a 50" bed (not quite a 54" double) and we cut that back to 32" so as to have two 18" wide seats making a U-seating arrangement (using a small, portable folding table) as well as a permanent "twin" bed. It's wide enough for me. The front bed/settee is about 73" long (just long enough for Paul at 5'9" and the back is closer to 77" which is long enough for me plus a pug at the foot. (We cut up a queen mattress to make the back foam plus the side seats, so we had more length to use--the trailer is 77" wide at that point). Both of ours use half of a "found" metal futon frame underneath. Since our foam is 7" thick, we use the futon frame just as it was, so there's lots of airflow. 8-)

Agree with Tap, above, I wouldn't go narrower than 28" with 30" being better. 24" width in some side seat/beds really is awfully narrow for an adult, and is impossible for me, being horizontally gifted. ;-D
Old 09-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Thanks

With your mods and measurements, you have all helped me to decide that the plan I have been thinking of should suit me just fine.
I will have a 30x78" bed along the back of the trailer. The other arm of the L-shaped seating/bed area will be a 26" deep cupboard with cushions on top for seating. Now I just have to figure out an extension into the aisle to make a 52", almost double, bed for when the grandkids accompany me.
Kai, I have a set of the Ikea twin bed size slats laying around so will cut them down to 30" and use them like you did the futon.
Thanks all!
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Most welcome, glad to have helped.

If you can, post some photos before, during, and after. If not, then we'll just have to imagine it.

BEST
\Kai