Two Part Pour Marine Polyurethane Foam - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2023, 08:36 AM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: Trillium
Indiana
Registry
Two Part Pour Marine Polyurethane Foam

I am restoring our 1978 Trillium 1300 and would like to consider filling voids and perhaps fabricating new furniture parts using pour foam.
I'm fairly certain that I will avoid the spray can foam, as the cell structure seems inconsistent.
In most cases I plan to cover the sculpted foam structures with polyester resin and fiberglass mat, followed with a final gel coat layer.
I would appreciate hearing about experiences, good and bad.
Steve Hague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I like the idea although it will be a lot a work and in the end the foam probably wont be needed plus it takes up possible storage space.
The foam isnt porus but is full of holes (parts of bubbles) and I think will have to be filled with something that doesn't react with it, I think the hardening resin will.
Then the bodywork, laying on the fglass smoothing it, then bodyfiller to finalize shape, then a sealer and finally the gelcoat.
If you do take this on I suggest a small item to start with.
I used the method years ago to create a trunk for a motorcycle. It was only maybe 2 cubic ft but I remember it being a ton a work.
But, for 1 off custom shape items in fglass you don't have much for options.
Good luck and please post up results.
Fred
Old 02-18-2023, 09:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While polyester resin should not melt urethane foam, I'd still test the combinations before actual use. Polyester resin will eat many types of foam.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote