Two questions: How to remove heavy duty glue from fiberglass and how to fill holes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2022, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: Kay
Trailer: 1985 Burro
Maine
Two questions: How to remove heavy duty glue from fiberglass and how to fill holes

Hey everyone! This is my first post here and it sure won't be my last. I just bought a 1985 13ft. Burro camper. It's my first project and will be a lot of research, and learning for me.

The interior of the camper is in pretty rough shape so I'm currently in the gutting and cleaning process.

Two questions!:

1) The previous owner had glued... GLUED wood boards around the storage openings for decor. Ive pulled the wood off but I can't scrape the glue and wood particles off. I've used nearly an entire bottle of glue gone.

Do you have any recommendations on what I can use or do to remove this?

2) Secondly, I removed a shower that had been installed inside the trailer. What is the best (or not too difficult and pretty stable) way to fill in this hole where the drain was?

Thank you!
-kay
Kblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:27 PM   #2

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I would try a multi-tool (oscillating head). I have 2 cheap ones from Harbor Freight. There are an assortment of blades. I've used them. To remove stubborn vinyl flooring, tile grout and many other things.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Depending on the type of glue, heat might help. Careful use of a heat shrink gun...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:43 AM   #4

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
MI
I agree with both suggestions.

Many adhesives are thermoplastic, meaning they will soften with heat.

A hair dryer would be your first choice but it may not get hot enough or work fast enough.

A heat gun gets hotter so you can work faster and longer. It will still be a slow process.

Physically remove as much as you can and then use the heat gun carefully. Note that the fiberglass assemblies will also soften with heat, so use just enough to soften the adhesive, then use a plastic scraper to remove the residue.
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
First off welcome!!
I cant get the link to work but there is a great thread here on how to work with fiberglass.
His thread is titled
"You can repair fiberglass" by D White

I like youtube vids and there are lots of tutorials there to help with the hole
Fred
Old 07-09-2022, 11:50 AM   #6

Name: Penny
Trailer: Burro 13’
Colorado
Burro renovations

Hi,

I also have an old Burro. I also have little holes in interior walls as well as the vertical seam on front & back that need to be fiberglassed. I did some fiberglass work underneath bunks.

I’m having trouble finding replacement parts & people to work on it. I found the smaller window rubber gasket seals but not the larger seal.

Also I bought a lock cylinder but then found out from locksmith that I need a whole door lock assembly.

There aren’t many Burros out there so hopefully we all can help each other! Welcome!
LuckyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:10 PM   #7

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13r
Kansas
Registry
Burro door lock assembly

I have a Burro door lock assembly with keys. The front plate is slightly warped. I’d be willing to sell ‘as-is’ for $225 plus shipping. Lmk if interested.
Alan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:06 PM   #8

Colorado
Lock

Is it like this? Wondering how bent plate will work. Are you firm in price?
Attached Thumbnails
FCA6AFDE-DF05-4F6D-B7C3-570F7CC5FEBF.jpg  
Old 07-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #9

Colorado
Photos?
Old 07-09-2022, 03:50 PM   #10

Kansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyPenny View Post
Photos?

Yep, that’s it, an L-400 by Bargman. Price is firm—these are hard to find & some go for many hundreds more.
I will send pics as soon as I can get to it. I incorrectly said the outer plate. It is the interior plate with a slight warp. I’ll show details in the photos if you’re still interested. Thx!
Old 07-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #11

Colorado
Lock

If interior plate is bent then how will it work?
Old 07-09-2022, 04:41 PM   #12

Kansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyPenny View Post
If interior plate is bent then how will it work?

It’s a slight bend. When I send pics I’ll detail the edge for you to see. At worst, it would only be a slightly wider gap to caulk. It may be possible to flatten the plate with the right technique.
I’ll photograph tmrw & send for your see the exact condition of the unit. BTW: I checked on ebay & there is one L-400 listed. Search: Bargman L-400.