u haul 85 camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 05:52 AM   #1

Name: BONITA
Trailer: '85 u haul camper
VA
u haul 85 camper

Hi, I am new member, have 85 u haul camper with window problems, leaking, need info. on how to get fixed, where to buy parts or any info. any materials to read. thanks Bonnie
Bonnie White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Welcome! There are many very knowledgeable folks with UHauls here and on a Facebook group named UHaul Camper. Best of luck working on your trailer!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:13 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Check the channel that the glass slides in, it is replaceable. There are weep holes at the bottom of the window frame (small slots). They have to be clear all the way to the glass so that water can drain out of the glass channel, otherwise it will build up and top over to the inside. The side windows are held in with rubber weatherstrip that gets old and cracks. Look it up on perfect fit.com, part # AS1456 and AS789B to see what it is. Not easy to replace, two people at least and a couple inexpensive special tools. Direct fit replacement windows are not available without special ordering custom made windows at BIG dollars
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Burro
Leaky U Hall

I had a burro trailer with similar problems. I cleaned out the drains on the bottom of the windows. Took the window out and cleaned them and the hole they came out off resealed the window with buttel putty and used slightly over sized sheet metal screws on the windows. It has worked for 9 years
Noel Gilbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
A piece of weed eater string works great for cleaning out the wrap holes... I keep a piece in my tool box
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Gilbrough View Post
I had a burro trailer with similar problems. I cleaned out the drains on the bottom of the windows. Took the window out and cleaned them and the hole they came out off resealed the window with buttel putty and used slightly over sized sheet metal screws on the windows. It has worked for 9 years
Uhaul side windows mount in a rubber weatherstrip, they are not the flange type that uses the clamp ring to hold them in place
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #7

VA
u haul windows

Thanks for every ones info., appreciate it. This camper needs lots of stuff done to it, may need more info later on as we go along as to where to find parts, etc. Thanks
Old 09-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: Uhaul
Michigan
Possible Window Seal fix

I have used a product sold at West Marine Stores. Is has worked well on the rubber window seals. It is designed for boats, but works on a camper.
It is a liquid. Squeeze it around the seals an let it seep down. It is water base, so keep a wet rag handy to mop up the excess. It will be a mess when it dries on your finish. Sadly, learned this lesson late. Removal? Maybe acetone, laquer thinner, but be carefull. Wax up after.
I have an '86 UHAUL 13-CT. Still in Great Shape.
rsnide
rsnide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #9

VA
85 u haul

Thanks for the info., today they were leaking when we washed the camper.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19
Indiana
u haul 85 camper

Captain Tolleys Creeping crack cure sometimes helps the seal between the rubber and fiberglass, but the likely issue is the glass run track is so dirty or has deteriorated so much it lets the water infiltrate inside. This repair requires new rubber seals and run track and does not guarantee a leak proof repair.
Mike Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #11

VA
Thanks for that info,, another question, about the containers that went into the storage area, I have one, know where these be found , or maybe cannot be found at all. thanks
Old 09-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie White View Post
Thanks for that info,, another question, about the containers that went into the storage area, I have one, know where these be found , or maybe cannot be found at all. thanks

Most people don’t have them, there are no known replacements that I know of , and I keep the parts list options updated. You actually have more storage room without them.
Mike Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #13

VA
uhaul 85 camper

Thanks for the email. I didn't figure they could be found. thanks