U-Haul Camper tire rims - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #1

Name: Ellen
Trailer: currently shopping
Florida
U-Haul Camper tire rims

Hello!

I am searching for a rim for a spare tire for my UHaul camper. I visited my local UHaul dealer and was encouraged initially that he might be able to locate a rim within the UHaul parts system but he has not come through with one.

Have UHaul camper owners found another 13" rim with will fit the studs on the UHaul axle hub?

Thanks!!!!!
catnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
There's lots of how-to-measure information out there like this on YouTube:

Then go to etrailer.com and buy one.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #3

Florida
Got it!

OK, I'll do my measurements. Hopefully its an "exact" measurement since shipping tire rims back and forth would be cumbersome.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Uhaul wheel is another one of their proprietary parts, unique to Uhaul. It is 5 lug on a 4 3/4 bolt circle and has an unusual offset. Part # is 23516006. Uhaul sometimes has them on their eBay store but they sell out and don't get replenished very quick sometimes. I just looked and none are listed at this time. Some GM cars used that bolt pattern but don't have the same offset. I think it was older Camaros. Uhaul sells the wheel for close to $100.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #5

Florida
I used the bolt guide and concluded that the pattern was a 5 on 5 however, I have received 2 responses that the UHaul hub is actually 5 on 4.75. Regardless my day-long search has not discovered any currently available rims manufactured to this spec.

Any thoughts on using a wheel adapter if I can find one that would fit?
Old 06-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #6

New York
A wheel adapter will move the wheel farther out of the opening which you do not want. One of the larger company owned Uhaul locations may be able to get one for you if you give them the part number. Otherwise find a auto junkyard that has one of the Camaro wheels that you could use as a spare. Keep checking eBay as Uhaul will probably put more up for sale. I haven't been following the Uhaul group to keep up with what's happening with wheel availability because we sold our Uhaul last year. The hubs can be changed to ones with the more common 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. Chevy Lumina hubs maybe.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
As stated earlier the wheel Uhaul uses on the CT13 and VT16 Uhaul Campers is a Uhaul proprietary wheel as is most everything else with Uhaul trailers. There is an early wheel and a late Uhaul wheel. The difference in the two wheels are the presence or lack of the "3 nubs" in the center area of the rim to which original Uhaul chrome hubcap would attach.

The "vintage" wheels have the 3 nubs. The current wheel that Uhaul sells through their Ebay store do not. Both function and look correct. Rarely does anyone have the original Uhaul hubcaps that required the 3 nubs for hubcap attachement so the having or not having the "3 little nubs" might be a moot point. Most folks buy aftermarket chrome baby moon hubcaps for their Uhaul campers that do not require the 3 nubs to attach the aftermarket cap to the wheel.

Get on the Uhaul camper Facebook page and make a WTB post for a wheel. You might git "Lucky". That's where I purchased my last vintage wheel with the 3 little nubs for my VT16 Uhaul. Bought it for $40 plus shipping.

The 5 on 4 3/4 inch bolt pattern is also standard GM passenger car bolt pattern for everything from Camaro's to Corvettes to Chevelles and more. Only GM with 5 on5 were big GM cars and trucks. It's easy to find the right bolt pattern wheel. Finding a passenger car rim with the correct or workable offset in 13 or 14 inch wheels is the big problem.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #8

New York
[QUOTE=vintageracer;780391]

Get on the Uhaul camper Facebook page and make a WTB post for a wheel. You might git "Lucky". That's where I purchased my last vintage wheel with the 3 little nubs for my VT16 Uhaul. Bought it for $40 plus shipping.

That must be the wheel that I sold you. All my parts have been sold except for two original door latch strikers and one NOS window
Old 06-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #9

Florida
Thanks to all posters for the info. Today has been a day of UHaul camper tire rim education. I will pursue all suggestions.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:58 AM   #10

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
One last option, though it's a second-best kind of thing:

It's possible to get one of the "temporary" spare rims with the correct lug spacing, and since they're quite narrow the offset doesn't matter as much.
My CT came with a narrow spare, which was damaged in a collision the PO'd had. I found another in a used tire-and-wheel place... cleaned it up... mounted a new narrow tire. [the wheel place didn't know what it came from]

As I said, not the best solution, but better than no spare.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:06 PM   #11

Florida
CT-13 Tires

Hello! I have 175/80R/13 on my CT-13 proprietary rims. Can I put a larger tire on these rims? If so, what? Thanks!
Old 05-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by groys02 View Post
One last option, though it's a second-best kind of thing:

It's possible to get one of the "temporary" spare rims with the correct lug spacing, and since they're quite narrow the offset doesn't matter as much.

My CT came with a narrow spare, which was damaged in a collision the PO'd had. I found another in a used tire-and-wheel place... cleaned it up... mounted a new narrow tire. [the wheel place didn't know what it came from]

As I said, not the best solution, but better than no spare.

Ditto on the donut spare, a 15” rim from some 2002 Sonomas may work. See if you can get on the UHaul camper web site, I posted a file with all the potential wheels with a 5x4.75 bolt pattern
Mike Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:27 PM   #13

Florida
Thanks

I'll check out that website.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:42 AM   #14

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
Hello! I have 175/80R/13 on my CT-13 proprietary rims. Can I put a larger tire on these rims? If so, what? Thanks!
I used 185/80 tires on the original rims of our CT13. I'm not aware of any Uhaul camper website, only the Facebook group, although there may be more than one FB group now.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #15

Florida
Hello!

I did not find the other website either, but I did find a blog that referenced 185 sized tires, as you mentioned. I'll go with that size. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:13 AM   #16

Iowa
I don't think this was mentioned earlier.... there's a Document Center under the More tab at the top of the page, and then, from that, a U-Haul folder with various guides & information in it.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...p?do=cat&id=31

'just in case you hadn't seen it yet...........
Old 05-05-2022, 05:38 AM   #17

Florida
Thanks!

That's helpful because I could not figure out how to search out the info I was looking for without searching the whole website and all manufacturers, a time-consuming process.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:34 AM   #18

Iowa
Well, you're quite welcome.
Lots of interesting info in there---even stuff that's not so much "necessary" as just "informative".
Happy Campin'...........
Old 10-01-2022, 07:06 PM   #19

Name: Marc
Trailer: shopping
GA
Useable wheel for UHaul CT13

It took me a while to find one but I found a wheel that works well for my CT13. It is a 13" steel wheel from a 1965 Corvair. Has the early Chevrolet 4 3/4 bolt circle and the correct offset. It is a 50+ year old car wheel but if you check eBay, car show swap meets, etc. they are available. It wasn't cheap ($50 plus shipping) and once I had it bead blasted and powder coated the cost doubled. But it looks great on a rear bumper carrier and fits perfectly.
MarcMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul