U-Haul CT 13 bounce - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: Bruce & Kaye
Trailer: U-Haul 13ct
Georgia
Registry
U-Haul CT 13 bounce

Our first trip out & when we where on bouncy road we heard loud thunking. We checked everthing, all was good, but when we got home, we found that the trailer bounces sorta spingy like & the hitch on our vehicle is the clunk. We're planning on stiffening it up a bit. Just wondered if anyone else had that issue. (We are using a 2011 Honda Pilot to pull it.) It's not jumping off the ball & the trailer is secure to the frame. It's the curved tow bar that gives the little bounce.
BruceandKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Ours also bounces, we tow with a 2003 Honda CRV. Everything in the trailer has to be secured or packed tight or things will move around in there. You can get hitch tightners that will stop that clunking, I made my own. Funny you mention it as it was a very recent discussion on another trailer forum, with several different solutions. My opinion is a commercially made tightner is your best solution unless you have fabrication equipment and experience.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #3

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
All kinds of info on correct tongue weights but 10-15% of total trailer weight seems to be desired for better stability in towing and help keep it from bouncing around back there. (mismatched components in the receiver hitch can cause clunking, squeaking, etc., for sure)
Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Just checking, U Haul uses a 2" ball, a 1 7/8 will tighten down but will rattle.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

New York
2" for sure! Our CT does have some bounce to it. Watching the trailer in the inside rear view mirror it almost looks like it has an almost constant jiggle to it as if maybe the tongue has some flex to it. I checked the bolt that goes through the tongue and frame at the front of the body, no wear, and it's tight. I did have it out to inspect it. Hitting a dip in the road, like at a bridge, and the trailer has quite a bounce to it. May be time for a new axle, but otherwise it pulls fine. Mary followed me for over 100 miles one time when I had two bikes on the rear of the trailer and she said they didn't seem to bounce any. In a way I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue, just the nature of the trailer maybe?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #6

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
U Haul Coupler is designed to use from an 1 7/8 ball to a 2 inch ball. The best is the 2 inch ball.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
If the rubber in your axle is cooked, the only suspension is the sidewalls of the tires. Have someone jump up and down in the trailer over the axle, and watch for suspension movement.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
If the rubber in your axle is cooked, the only suspension is the sidewalls of the tires. Have someone jump up and down in the trailer over the axle, and watch for suspension movement.

Good advice. Also look at pictures of other's CTs here and compare the ride height to yours.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #9

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
I tow with a Grand Cherokee, with a 2" ball and also have the bounce, squeak, clunk thing happen most of the time. Everything tightens as it should, new tires, and have checked to see that the coupler goes on to the ball correctly. Sometimes sound like it is going to bounce off and makes for a worrisome tow, but from what I can tell, nothing is wrong. Glad to hear others have the same issue.
Now I wish we all could resolve the issue.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Depending upon mileage, new shocks/struts on the tow vehicle can improve bounce.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #11

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
I too have strange hitch noises and bounce but I think in my case it is not balanced weight. When I put water in the tank which is behind the axle and tow it is worse which makes me think the load is too far back and not enough weight on the tongue. Even semi's have to have a balanced load to pull correctly. Too much weight in the back and you bounce when starting up or anytime you hit a bump.
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
sorry for the duplicate post, but it said wait and submit again??
You can go back a delete a post using the advanced edit function.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #13

New York
Kathy & Patti, some or all of your noises are likely caused by looseness between your ball mount and hitch receiver tube. This is normal fit, and can be taken care of by a tightener device. There are various types available from sources such as etrailer or Amazon. I made my own because I had material to do so, and besides that I'm cheap. This was a recent discussion on another trailer site, with some simple solutions such as tape or a thin metal shim. I prefer the tightener, or anti rattle device, because I don't leave the [shin buster] ball mount in the hitch when not towing. And whether you do so or not can become another heated debate if you care to start it.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #14

Colorado
Registry
Thanks Bob, I'll try to find some more information on a hitch tightener.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #15

Oregon
Registry
Thanks Bob, will do some more research also.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Try one of these. I use a hitch tightener on both my trucks receiver and on the Stow-Away box receiver. No rattles, no clunking. Work great.
StowAway Hitch Tightener
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #17

Colorado
Registry
Thanks for the link Greg. For twenty bucks-what the heck. I'll give it a try.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #18

New York
That one looks similar to what I made. Hope it's at least a 3/8 U bolt. I have a 9/16 ratchet combination wrench that I use to tighten the nuts, works good, get them good and tight and the clunking noise will be gone. That one that Greg recommends is one of the best ones I've seen.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #19

Oregon
Registry
Thanks for this thread. I too have ordered the Stowaway Hitch Tightener.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #20

Name: Bruce & Kaye
Trailer: U-Haul 13ct
Georgia
Registry
You are correct sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Kathy & Patti, some or all of your noises are likely caused by looseness between your ball mount and hitch receiver tube. This is normal fit, and can be taken care of by a tightener device. There are various types available from sources such as etrailer or Amazon. I made my own because I had material to do so, and besides that I'm cheap. This was a recent discussion on another trailer site, with some simple solutions such as tape or a thin metal shim. I prefer the tightener, or anti rattle device, because I don't leave the [shin buster] ball mount in the hitch when not towing. And whether you do so or not can become another heated debate if you care to start it.
That's exactly what we came up with....we too are "economically savvy" we are going to add the metal shim as well.
Kaye
BruceandKaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul