Uh Oh---should we have left the pipe in??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Uh Oh---should we have left the pipe in???

We had a black 1.5" pvc pipe running down from a vent on the roof, thru our closet (taking up space!). It ran all the way down, jogged over to the storage under the dinette bench, and down through the floor.

The Perris Pacer has a glassed in bottom, and we could not see anywhere that this pipe was coming out of the camper. It seemed to be the "pipe to nowhere." So------we took it out.

Now I'm wondering----is there a reason campers that are totally enclosed with fiberglass need to "vent" air out from the underside? Does it get hot in there and was this like a turbine in an attic?

We need to know if we should put it back!

Thanks!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #2

Registry
Here's a picture (if you can see it over to the right front side of the closet.)
Attached Thumbnails
P4090003.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Do you have a holding tank that is under the trailer at that spot , could be a vent to let air into the tank when you are dumping your holding tank?

Ken
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #4

Registry
Well, there is a grey tank underneath----the sink is on the other side of the camper.
Does that tank need that big and intrusive of a pipe to properly drain?

Anyone else? Do all your grey tanks have air input???????????
Old 04-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think you should put it back. I don't think it needs to be 1 1/2 inches in diameter, I think a 1 or 3/4 inch line would be adequate. I used 3/4 inch as the vent when I added a grey water tank to my trailer and it works fine.

My Escape trailer has a grey tank vent. It is side mounted just above the tank. The vent keeps odors out of the trailer while allowing it to fill and drain and prevents water from backing up into the drian lines if the tank is overfilled.

If you keep your grey tanks clean and don't leave the tank drain fitting open when hooked up to a dump station then you the odor issue shouldn't be a concern.

You should leave the vent line open so the tank fills and emptys well. Without a vent , the air in the tank may be trapped and not allow water to enter and when draining may creat a vacuum that leds to a slow draining rate, which may leave debris behind.

The vent should go outside the trailer if possible so if the tank overfills, the extra water doesn't run into the trailer.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #6

Registry
Who would have thunk??? This is one thing about these campers I hadn't read before!

Anyway---the pipe is back in place. Thank goodness that was an easy fix!

Thanks for your help! I'm learning lots now that the camper is all torn up!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Yep,that would be the vent pipe for the gray tank!!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You could run the vent line out the side of the trailer and cover the exit with a side vent cover like the one near the bottom on this website. OEM - CAP

You could reduce the vent line size to 1 or 3/4 inch and use thin wall PVC pipe to allow for a small hole in the trailer.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #9

Registry
Did our little dum-dum make you all smile!?!? Talk about a senior moment. "Hey what's this? I don't know, I don't like it---rip it out!" Wonder how many more times we'll do that during this process??? (NOT)

As much as I hate the big black pipe, I guess we'll just leave it-----since we already have the vent on the roof, etc.

I'll be glad when the reno is done and I'll be writing about fun camping trips and rallys, instead of "The Clampetts redo their camper!"
Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I would think that if the tank got full that vent pipe would have leaked without it being glued together.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Did our little dum-dum make you all smile!?!? Talk about a senior moment. "Hey what's this? I don't know, I don't like it---rip it out!" Wonder how many more times we'll do that during this process??? (NOT)

As much as I hate the big black pipe, I guess we'll just leave it-----since we already have the vent on the roof, etc.

I'll be glad when the reno is done and I'll be writing about fun camping trips and rallys, instead of "The Clampetts redo their camper!"
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Did our little dum-dum make you all smile!?!? Talk about a senior moment. "Hey what's this? I don't know, I don't like it---rip it out!" Wonder how many more times we'll do that during this process??? (NO
E'Gad! I love this Forum
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Vickie B...I sure hope that when I become a senior I can get away with as much!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie P.S. never trust Mr. Plumber. LoL
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #13

Registry
James, if I'd been smart I would have asked "what is this pipe?" instead of being up-front honest and boldly stated we removed the thing! (Heck, if I'd been smart we wouldn't have done it in the first place!!!)

Alf----and we're only 58/61---just think when we're really antique!

Sure wish we could strike this whole thread from the forum and pretend like it never happened. Oh, well, I suppose if it teaches someone else---ASK FIRST, then destroy!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #14

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
As a confirmed lurker, I have to interject: Please, please don't even consider striking any thread! I have learned sooooo much from all of you, I can't begin to tell you. My boler is not here yet (I bought it in January and it's still in Arizona), but I have been making pages and pages of notes of what to do... and what not to do! Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences, good and bad.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #15

Registry
Thanks Sheryl----I'm afraid there may be more "neg" teaching moments. But you are kind to console me!!

We got our camper in Arizona, too! Drove from Omaha. It was fun! Hope you get yours soon!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #16

Registry
Ricky 4---are you laughing at me????